Scribd Info/ Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I finally self-published! YAY! :party guy: I was just accepted into Smashwords' premium catalogue today! I am not familiar with Scribd, but looking at their paying scheme, it sounded good.

What I've learned so far:

It's a subscription service for eBooks. Readers pay a monthly fee and read unlimited ebooks.

The first 10% is the sample.

You get paid if the reader reads an additional 20% of the book (30% total counting the sample), and are paid at the full price.

If you get 10 readers that that only read 5% more than the 10% of the sample, but less than the 30%, you get the full price of the book.

Ok....so to my novice, newbie mind, it sounds good! Nothing to lose for the reader, I get paid, and get exposure...

Anyone know of any drawbacks (?)...because this sounds too good to be true. :Shrug:

Thanks!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with Scribd, but I wanted to point out a way to find content on Absolute Write.

At the bottom of the screen on the left side of the screen (if you scroll down). You can search AW for anything using a Google search box that will search AW, not the whole internet. I searched for Scribd and it resulted in a number of threads on AW discussing Scribd.

Just thought you might want to know about that search tool, if you weren't aware it was there. (It took me more than a year to notice it, and it's sometimes easier than the search tools at the top of the screen if you are looking for a name or other distinctive phrase).

~suki

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I don't have any of my books on Scribd and here's why: they're a pirate site trying to go legit. I've had to send several DMCA takedown notices to Scribd about my books in the past. That does not make me want to do business with them. There's still a huge archive of documents on Scribd, many of which are there legally, but since no one checks, there's also a large number of pirated books regularly being uploaded to the site.

To be honest, I am baffled as to why so many legit publishers are willing to do business with them.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Suki. :)

Girlyswot, always appreciate your insight. That was my understanding, too. I had heard pieces of info of them, and nothing good. I don't understand how it happens. People were uploading copies they bought or were they passing it off as their work? Smashwords automatically selected them and when I saw scribd on there, I was uncomfortable. My book has already been sent and I'm on the fence about what to do. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.