General anime discussion thread

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Been watching Hellsing Ultimate

I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would, for several reasons.
The pacing of the anime is just not in line with the manga, which makes some things just come off strange.
Some content has been altered for reasons I can't understand.

Whoever animated the blood made it bright and sparkly. It's supposed to be dark and sludge-like. The dark colors in the Hellsing manga are part of what made the series look so good.

Also, lyrical songs. Why? Just why?
I just watched the first part of Hellsing Ultimate yesterday and I gotta say, I liked the original anime better. At least. I liked the first section of the original anime more. Ultimate's first hour long episode covers the first three episodes of the original. But the original just seemed more fleshed out. I liked the way it actually showed the vampire they were hunting in that hospital and gave it a back story. Plus the way the serial killer vampires were actually given some real screen time before being killed. I will give Ultimate a little credit though, since I do like this version of Seras Victoria more.

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me why I'm just now starting to get into Hunter X Hunter. This anime is too much. Just finished...well, I'm not gonna spoil anything, but Hisoka is a problem. A PROBLEM!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Just noticed a few people praising Love Stage!!, I'll have to check that out. It sounds super up my street.

Finished Nozaki-kun, which was a really fun ride and I'm glad I got to follow it as it aired. Lovely anime. I really hope it gets another season but as far as I've heard there's no plans for it.

Free! Eternal Summer finished as well, and it was brilliant, and I'm not sure how to continue on in a world without my glorious gay-baiting gorgeous swimming anime.

Now I'm back to Ergo Proxy, which is really getting good (takes a few episodes to stop being cool and confusing and start making sense -- episode 9 was when it properly hooked me, but the story started coming together a few episodes before that).

I can't believe Daedalus is a dude, though. I feel like this anime stole my favourite character away by being vague his gender until almost half-way through the series. :p

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm back to Ergo Proxy, which is really getting good (takes a few episodes to stop being cool and confusing and start making sense -- episode 9 was when it properly hooked me, but the story started coming together a few episodes before that).

I can't believe Daedalus is a dude, though. I feel like this anime stole my favourite character away by being vague his gender until almost half-way through the series. :p
You're coming up on three of my favorite episodes from the series, 14, 15, and 16. And I could figure out that Daedalus was a boy pretty quickly due to his voice. Granted, if you're watching the subbed version that might be a different story. I've only seen it dubbed.

MrNumbahOne

Registered
Reaction score
Christ, did anyone see the finale for Space Dandy? It was absolutely amazing. But now it's depressing to see the show go. I really wanted to see Adelaide grown up :(. I hope the movie BONES does picks up on that.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
You're coming up on three of my favorite episodes from the series, 14, 15, and 16. And I could figure out that Daedalus was a boy pretty quickly due to his voice. Granted, if you're watching the subbed version that might be a different story. I've only seen it dubbed.

Ah, that might be it. I'm watching subbed and he has quite a feminine voice -- I can hear it as male now I know, but it registered as female for me. He sounds a lot like a very soft-spoken female to my ears, and Wikipedia informs me (to my hooray-I'm-not-deaf relief) that his VA, Sanae Kobayashi, is indeed a lady.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Christ, did anyone see the finale for Space Dandy? It was absolutely amazing. But now it's depressing to see the show go. I really wanted to see Adelaide grown up :(. I hope the movie BONES does picks up on that.
I loved it. That was one of the best finales I've seen. They didn't hold back at all with the last second twists, animation quality, or letting known characters have awesome moments.

Though to me, possibly the best part was the narrator turning out to basically be god and confirming that all the episodes happen and Dandy is someone that exists in multiple dimensions at the same time. And then Dandy turned down being god in such a nonchalant way. I've never seen anything quite like that.

Ah, that might be it. I'm watching subbed and he has quite a feminine voice -- I can hear it as male now I know, but it registered as female for me. He sounds a lot like a very soft-spoken female to my ears, and Wikipedia informs me (to my hooray-I'm-not-deaf relief) that his VA, Sanae Kobayashi, is indeed a lady.
Ok, yeah, in the sub he really sounds feminine. His voice in the dub sounds more like a standard, young teen

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa.

The super AMV, ugh, I mean, the music video for Pharrell Williams's It Girl is the stuff my anime dreams are made of. Namely the trippyness and pixel art. Not the lolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZDBF0kei0

In other news I wrote a thing about HaNaYaMaTa, if you are so interested. I had to give it a crappy title because one of the editors said they wanted me to make it clear I say nice things about an anime versus critiquing it. (Most of them are kinda obsessed with gamer gate).

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Been a bit out of the anime loop, and I'm still a bit behind with a few series, but here's initial expressions of this season, in order of enjoyment.

1. Kiseijuu: I thought it might be good, but it exceeded my expectations. The surreal images are both disturbing and funny. The parasyte relationship is surprisingly plausible (within the narrative). The animation is great; the soundtrack sounds great but felt a bit inappropriate to the mood at times (when it didn't it was wonderful). A winner.

2. Gugure Kokkuri san: Even more of a pleasant surprise than Parasyte. The dead-pan humour is totally up my alley. Lonely girl in loneliness denial meets needy fox spirit. Inugami and Tanuki are arriving in time. Great art and soundtrack. In some shows, characters go chibi for comedic moments. This show flips this on the head: the main character defaults to chibi and gets a detailled treatment only in scenes that are supposed to be emotional.

3. Hitsugi no Chaika ~ Avanging Battle: First episode picks up all the themes of the first. If you've seen the first season you know what to expect.

4. Akatsuki no Yona: A rather standard story (so far) about a princess escaping assassination, but very well executed.

5. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: Manic pixie dream girl teaches gloomy lead to love life? Sure seems like it. I'm a sucker for music shows, and they show signs to take this aspect seriously, which is good for me. Piano + violin is one of my favourite combos. I like the childhood friend. The drama isn't as overdone as I feared, but it's also not as subtle as I hoped. Some scenes make me roll my eyes, and the female lead hasn't won me over yet. Also the eyes in this show sometimes look creepy. All in all, though, the positives outweigh the negatives.

6. Inou Battle: Good fun. If they go with having super powers and nothing to do with them, rather than with a background conspiracy plot, I'll probably enjoy it more.

7. Madan no Ou to Vanadis: I thought it would suck, but it doesn't. It looks like a fairly standard fantasy show (and if the opening's anything to go by it might have harem elements), but after two episodes it's still pretty entertaining. Best voicework from Haruka Tomatsu since Tonari no Kaibutsu kun.

8. Sora no Method: This feels a lot like a key show (the last on that aired was Little Busters). It's confident and appealing, but not particularly interesting. Can go up, can go down; but it's certainly a competetently executed show.

9. Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu: I was sceptical, because I never got into Kämpfer, which this reminded me of. But this is so utterly silly it works for me.

10. Shingeki no Bahamut: Decent fantasy with a lovable rogue type protagonist. A bit too macho for my taste, but it's not too bad. The major turn-off for me is the overuse of cgi. I just can't get past that. Pity, because they seem to get it right (especially when compared to Karen Senki which looked so awful that I couldn't make it through five minutes).

11. Shirobako: PA Works makes an anime about making anime, and it's all right. Maybe it'll get better, but never have I seen a show the main girls' moe designs stand out so much. They're so awfully standard, especially when compared to the more individualised support cast. What were they thinking. Also, I didn't expect a car racing scene, and neither did I want one. I really hope the show gets its act together, because there's potential.

12. Donten ni Warau: Underwhelming premier, based around a middle-brother's I'm-not-strong-enough wining. There's potential in the setting. My hunch is if you enjoyed the most recent Hakkenden version, you'll enjoy this, too. The style is similar.

13. Nanatsu Taizai: Shounen fighter. Decent. About Magi level, I'd say. Distinct visual style. Serial boob fondling annoys me.

14. Denki kai no Honya San: Well, this is no Working! The characters are likable but one-note. The humour is so-so. I like the art style. Apparently it's funnier if you know Akihabara better than I do? For example, the shop "uma no ana" is apparantly a pretty good copy of a similar shop "tora no ana" (and replacing the tiger with a horse gives you the popular pun tora-uma = trauma). *Shrug*

15. World Trigger: Rather standard shounen fighter with just enough charm to keep my interest.

16. Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Looks like a bland harem show with a make-everyone-feel-good premise. Passes the time if you like the genre.

17. Grisaia no Kajitsu: Looks like a harem of assassins or something? Gratuitious panty shots. Interesting aside: the version I watched had censored nude breats, but uncensored nude (male) butt. The characters keep me mildly interested, but that's it. No big hopes for this one.

18. Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete: The art is ugly; the story boring. But there appears to be some sort of time-loop going on, so who knows? I'm not holding my breath.

19. Okami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji: Oh, dear god, no. Looks like they're trying to be self-conscious, but the entire show seems to be based on people embarrassing themselves and/or others. I'll see where this goes, but it's really not something I'll want to watch if it continues like this.

20. Terraformars: Definitely dropped. Hyper brutal shounen fighter with little redeeming features, and to top it off there's censorship to the point that you sometimes can't tell what's going on. Not that it matters; a black screen would be less aggravating anyway.

Still have to watch some shows; most of them second seasons. I also didn't rate any of the five-to-ten minute shows yet, as it's too soon to really say anything. Better season than the last one; that much is clear.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
17. Grisaia no Kajitsu: Looks like a harem of assassins or something? Gratuitious panty shots. Interesting aside: the version I watched had censored nude breats, but uncensored nude (male) butt. The characters keep me mildly interested, but that's it. No big hopes for this one.
I actually really liked some of the humor in this. I'm a sucker for a character saying silly things with a completely straight face and in a regular manner. So, I loved how he would calmly say stuff like, "Why is there a stripper in my room? It's not my birthday."

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I actually really liked some of the humor in this. I'm a sucker for a character saying silly things with a completely straight face and in a regular manner. So, I loved how he would calmly say stuff like, "Why is there a stripper in my room? It's not my birthday."

I also like some of the humour, though the scene you mention isn't an example. I find the wannabe-tsundere hilarious. Character chemistry is pretty good all around in this show, too. I liked the second episode better than the first, even though I don't think it was better. I think it's a riser.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I told myself I'd never follow a never-ending shounen series. I'm breaking my rule.

After putting it on hold for 14 years, I've picked back up Pokémon.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Early Pokemon was decent. Pretty much up through the first championship match Ash competed in. It got just plain silly after that, largely due to Ash seemingly having to learn the same stuff over and over and having a hard time beating people he should be able to beat with ease at that point. Seriously, Pikachu should be level 100 easily and be able to blast through most enemies. It'd be like Goku struggling to wing a human martial arts tournament after beating Freeza.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Early Pokemon was decent. Pretty much up through the first championship match Ash competed in. It got just plain silly after that, largely due to Ash seemingly having to learn the same stuff over and over and having a hard time beating people he should be able to beat with ease at that point. Seriously, Pikachu should be level 100 easily and be able to blast through most enemies. It'd be like Goku struggling to wing a human martial arts tournament after beating Freeza.

Yeah, you just kinda gotta accept Pikachu's inexplicable reset at the beginning of each region.

But it blew my mind when the XY OP was a redone version of the original OP.

I also re-watched Pokemon the Movie 2000, which I have fond memories of.

Lugia's theme song remains as badass as ever. It was the first thing I learned to play on my flute in high school.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have a traumatic Pokémon experience. The first time I saw the episode where Ash beats the Indigo League, I thought it was the finale. It was on a Friday, so I spent the whole weekend reconsidering my 12 years-old life. How much I had invested on Pokemon: games, action figures, posters, pogs, giant pillows. Now what? It pretty much felt like the death of a friend, so I mourned it the whole weekend and learned to accep-

-The hell? Now Ash has to go through a whole league in a whole new region? Monday afternoon, new episode and the whole victory in Indigo Plateau was meaningless! This is bullshit! DAMN YOU, SISYPHEAN QUEST! ASH WILL NEVER BE THE BEST OF ALL!!! YOUR THEME SONG LIED US!!! YOU MOTHERF-

-Oh, a new series. Yu-Gi-Oh... Um... Seems cool. I bet this one will never disappoint me!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
-The hell? Now Ash has to go through a whole league in a whole new region? Monday afternoon, new episode and the whole victory in Indigo Plateau was meaningless! This is bullshit! DAMN YOU, SISYPHEAN QUEST! ASH WILL NEVER BE THE BEST OF ALL!!! YOUR THEME SONG LIED US!!! YOU MOTHERF-

Just like real life.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just like real life.

Analyzing Pokemon taught me everything about existentialism. You can either drive yourself insane by noticing how, at the end, nothing that you do is of consequence or still delude yourself with lies that make you happy and healthy because, as long they have a meaning to you, are meaningful and since you gave them meaning, you also gave them truth.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Analyzing Pokemon taught me everything about existentialism. You can either drive yourself insane by noticing how, at the end, nothing that you do is of consequence or still delude yourself with lies that make you happy and healthy because, as long they have a meaning to you, are meaningful and since you gave them meaning, you also gave them truth.

congratulations.gif

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
That's the most kind thing anyone has ever said to me.

Sorry if I'm a bit of a sweet talker. :) It's just that whenever you reply with your beautiful dry wit and devil-may-care attitude... Well, I just adore it. It makes me wish to care a little less about what others may think and try to be a little more free as an individual and break off my little shell.

I don't know if I'm making sense...