American Horror Story

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will save my opinion for later on in the series but, does anyone know if the nurse lady in the beginning of the second episode was reciting a real prayer while she was tied on the couch? If so, what was the name of the prayer? She could have just been mumbling...I couldn't really hear it properly...

EDIT: I turned on the subtitles and discovered it is a traditional catholic prayer, An Act of Resignation. Questioned answered!

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I am once again confused about the time line of this show.

I cannot figure out when Ben was supposed to have had this affair, relative to their move to L.A.. I figured it was months, maybe even closer to a year. But unless he had a good-bye bang with Kate Mara before moving, how is she just now calling him about being preggers?

I am willing to suspend my disbelief for the horror/spooky elements, but get your story straight, writers!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Liked episode 2 more than the Pilot. Better pace, not nearly so frenetic. Still not sure why so many viewers and reviewers seem to love the Tate kid, though. All in all, this episode did more to keep me around than the Pilot did.
I completely concur. I enjoyed the first episode, but wondered how it would/could be a weekly series. This one left me feeling abit more comfortable with the idea.

Altho, I do agree about the confusion over when the affair happened. It strikes me as odd that you'd find your husband cheating with a student and then a week or so later not only forgive him, but buy a new house together.

Also, I was quite pleased when she said at the end that they were selling the house. It was really the only reasonable response to something like that.

And were the three home invaders supposed to be an homage to the "The Strangers"?

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
second episode was about as haphazard for me as the first. couldn't really get into it. still seems like some of these small sub-plots are added just to make the show weird, nothing more.

i am interested to see what keeps them leaving that house, because the wife seemed pretty deadset on it at the end of the episode, and i couldn't think of a reason after what happened to not do it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, the second episode was pretty meh. The home invasion was done well, though. Somehow it's more menacing without the crescendo of theater horror movie music, because I guess if someone breaks into your home, they aren't going to bring a guy with a violin and un-rosined bow. Ergo, you're actually going to be hearing your own heartbeat in your ears interrupted only by the refrigerator kicking on and the hopelessly normal score of house and neighbors going on without you.

I agree with Jcomp
Still not sure why so many viewers and reviewers seem to love the Tate kid, though.

I think the actor needs to dial it back a notch or two before he becomes a cartoon.

lizwritesbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizwritesbooks.com
After 2 eps, I'm on the fence about it. It just didn't live up to the hype. The pilot...what was that about? I felt like every scene we jerked forward six weeks and the first half could have been cut out and it wouldn't have mattered in the least. The second ep was much, much better. So we'll see. It will be a shame if it ends up playing out like the last few seasons of Nip/Tuck.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by the second episode. I think it helps that I expect nothing from this show at all, except perhaps absurdity and bad writing. I was kind of bored by the first ep, but got caught up in the second one. It was just more fun. I laughed a lot, I jumped once, I made a lot of WTF faces. It wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but I had a good time watching.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the show, but the issues with the timeline keep taking me out of it. I can't figure out how Ben is just now finding out that Kate Mara is pregnant, and she's obviously not very far along. I thought the same thing ChaosTitan did; that it had been at least several months to a year since the affair. I read an article on ew.com with Ryan Murphy where he mentioned that the show "takes some adventures with time". I don't really know what that means, but unless he plans to start letting the viewers in on what's going on with these adventures, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious why Jessica Lang's chara would want to posion the daughter, Violet.
Tate likes her, maybe that's it??

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I read an article on ew.com with Ryan Murphy where he mentioned that the show "takes some adventures with time". I don't really know what that means, but unless he plans to start letting the viewers in on what's going on with these adventures, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

He could have been talking about how the show goes back and forth from past to present. I hope so. If he plays the "it's a horror show, the timeline doesn't have to make sense" card, I quit.

I read it as a plot device that needed to be in place so one of the psycho killers could get sick. *shrug*

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
He could have been talking about how the show goes back and forth from past to present. I hope so. If he plays the "it's a horror show, the timeline doesn't have to make sense" card, I quit.

The only reason I didn't think he meant it that way is that he said it in relation to a question about the timeline. Here's a link...http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/12/american-horror-story-ryan-murphy-home-invasion/

He doesn't specifically say that they're not following a logical timeline, but he does say that it doesn't go from A to B to C. Other than the flashbacks at the beginnings of each episode, I haven't seen a lot of back and forths with time, though. The story with the family has appeared to be fairly linear, which is why the timeline is so confusing.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The only reason I didn't think he meant it that way is that he said it in relation to a question about the timeline. Here's a link...http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/12/american-horror-story-ryan-murphy-home-invasion/

He doesn't specifically say that they're not following a logical timeline, but he does say that it doesn't go from A to B to C. Other than the flashbacks at the beginnings of each episode, I haven't seen a lot of back and forths with time, though. The story with the family has appeared to be fairly linear, which is why the timeline is so confusing.

Ah, thanks for the link. :)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I thought that Lang's character was gonna be on of those guardian angel types, and she gave the cake to the daughter because she knew what would happen later...?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I thought that Lang's character was gonna be on of those guardian angel types, and she gave the cake to the daughter because she knew what would happen later...?
That might explain the syrup of ipecac, but not having her daughter spit in the batter.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That might explain the syrup of ipecac, but not having her daughter spit in the batter.

I thought the spitting was more of a joke, a reference to something she said in the pilot about how her daughter always spits in everything she makes but it turns out she encourages it. :Shrug:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I dunno, the scene cut away with the daughter leaning in to do it.

I have a spit-thing, so I was hiding behind my hands.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
This is all FX's fault for not having its channel onDemand.

Constance (Lang's chara) a guardian angel... not convinced yet.

She did have McDermott move his hand away from the lit stove when he was sleep walking (that was her, right?) during the pilot episode.

I'm sure the daughter spit in it. Gross.

These ppl need to hang out w/other neighbors.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I have the second ep recorded, but I keep finding other things to watch/do instead. Hmm. Maybe I'll wait a little longer and see if it will be worth the hour's investment.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Thanks to Twitter, I remembered to watch this night, and I'm finally starting to enjoy this show. We got more information on both the maid and creepy neighbor lady. I'm finally starting to root for Vivian; she's about the only character I actually like on that show.

Ben can go jump off a bridge. What he did at the end? OMG. I hope he dies a horrible death, the coward.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Thanks to Twitter, I remembered to watch this night, and I'm finally starting to enjoy this show. We got more information on both the maid and creepy neighbor lady. I'm finally starting to root for Vivian; she's about the only character I actually like on that show.

Ben can go jump off a bridge. What he did at the end? OMG. I hope he dies a horrible death, the coward.
This is perhaps my favorite of the new scifi/fantasy/horror crop, altho I have quibbles. For one thing, for a couple trying to resolve their "issues", B and V sure don't discuss much...I mean they both sort of just capitulated to being held hostage by their maid, ffs.

I did enjoy the peek at the past--hope Eric Close shows up again! Am I alone in suspecting that Tate is Constance's "good" son? And I loved the layer of intrigue added by the maid's line about being scared in the house...makes me think the ghosts--and maybe the house--are not absolutely aligned with whatever that evil thing is in the basement.

But why did the doctor want to make pigs fly? Did he think it was time? That scene made me smile.