Guardians of the Galaxy

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for this.
I'm not. The film looks dorky, and I can't stand dorky movies, especially dorky comic book movies because they reinforce the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made just for kids and childish adults.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not. The film looks dorky, and I can't stand dorky movies, especially dorky comic book movies because they reinforce the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made for kids and childish adults.

---

Then you're gonna miss out on a fun flick.

Looks are deceiving, and I'm gonna bet right now GOTG runs away with not only high ratings, but the box office as well.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, he actually kind of is. Drax is a pretty big, muscular dude in the comics. Ya gotta be big to thrown down with Thanos. He's been drawn as a rather hulking character for at least the past decade. Granted, I could never really get into GotG (I'm more of a DC fan) so I haven't thumbed through any of them in a while. They might've changed him recently, but I don't think they have.
Last I saw of Drax he was turned into a relatively slim, double knife-wielding Riddik type. He's not the hulk of yesterday.

Last edited:

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I had so many people interested that I've had to plan two viewings for my critique group so everyone can come to at least one, if not both! We're all hyped for it (of course, we meet at a comic book store and spend most of our post-group hangout talking about comic books, so it's only reasonable that we're all giddy.)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Can it just be Friday already? I have my tickets and my plans and I am *so ready.*

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not. The film looks dorky, and I can't stand dorky movies, especially dorky comic book movies because they reinforce the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made just for kids and childish adults.

Ummm, who says this? I mean, really. I've never heard anyone say that--especially today when geek chic is extremely IN.

It looks funny to me. Humor is a great change from darky dark dark whispery Dark Knight serious dark. I find that more mock-worthy than a Guardians of the Galaxy flick that can poke fun at itself and still bust ass.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm, who says this? I mean, really. I've never heard anyone say that--especially today when geek chic is extremely IN.

It looks funny to me. Humor is a great change from darky dark dark whispery Dark Knight serious dark. I find that more mock-worthy than a Guardians of the Galaxy flick that can poke fun at itself and still bust ass.

---

Please remember that RC liked Man of Steel. Based on a comic book. So I guess he forgot that he must be one of the childish adults he mocks.:D

My comments before stand. (This is a general reply and not directed at you, CB) And if someone doesn't want to see the flick, they don't have to. End.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Man of Steel isn't dorky in my opinion, so your putdown is moot.

Comics don't have to be, and they aren't always, childish. Movies like Guardians, unless its trailer is one huge fib, unfortunately support the stereotype that they do and are.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score

Comics don't have to be, and they aren't always, childish. Movies like Guardians, unless its trailer is one huge fib, unfortunately support the stereotype that they do and are.

---

When you make a generalization as you did before, then any supposed putdowns are to be expected.

As for GOTG, whatever. If it does turn out to support the stereotype as you say, then you can take a measure of satisfaction in that. I think--and I haven't seen the flick yet, just going on what I have seen--that it will be a movie with its tongue firmly planted in its cheek but also having a lot of heart to it.

We shall see.
And I will see it.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't make a generalization; I opposed one -- the stereotype that comics are just for kids and childish adults.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
This movie was freaking amazing. It was everything I wanted in a Guardians of The Galaxy movie. Sure, it doesn't take itself seriously at all but it had surprising depth. You can turn your nose up at it if you want but you are missing out on a truly fun movie with enough feels that I teared up a few times. Add the fact that this is a movie with Disney's name plastered all over it yet has dick and masturbation jokes it makes it easily the best movie I've seen in years.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and the post-credit scene was spot on for the spirit of the movie.

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it last night and went in expecting nothing and was surprised how much fun it is.

I didnt know it was supposed to be a comedy but it had some very funny moments, especially some of the conversations between cast members. There is never a dull moment, lots of intense action balanced with humour and heart.

Chris Pratt really shines in every scene right through to the finale, where he once again steals the show.

The movie was alot of fun.

I am groot! :)

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
It was terrific--Star Wars with a sense of humor.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh* Everything comes to Japan late...guess I'll have to wait.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So, so much better than I was expecting. The story was fun, but I was more surprised at how well the characterization was done. Some necessary tweaks to streamline the back stories, but overall, it was great.

And Groot's completely inappropriate smile (if you've seen the scene, you know the one) is perhaps one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

My only criticism is that the after-credits scene is completely pointless. Very disappointed in that one.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic, though, MAN the post-credit teaser took a left turn into horror fast. I'm legitimately scared about the future.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic, though, MAN the post-credit teaser took a left turn into horror fast. I'm legitimately scared about the future.

No kidding. I fully expected "that guy" to be revealed as one of the rejects from the experiment that created Rocket.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I won't lie, the fact that this wacky cosmic space adventure funtime stuff is happening at the same time AND IN THE SAME UNIVERSE as a conspiracy thriller like Winter Soldier...tickles my brain.

Like, a lot.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

So, if it "looks" dorky in your opinion, then it's bad. Or, other people think it's dorky and in TURN will think YOU are bad for seeing it? Or, that you'll be classified as a "stereotypical comic book nerd" for being seen in the theater (unless you go in disguise).

So, yeah. Not computing. Either there's a great, terrible fear of being labeled a "dork" (a term that hasn't been derogatory for quite a while now), or, I don't know. Don't go see it. Problem solved. Feel free to keep commenting on dorkiness, though. And how it seems like a dorky movie. Because I don't think everyone gets that yet.