Guardians of the Galaxy

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I only duplicated 2 songs (unless you count the Glee version of I Want You Back). Had it been more, I might have bought them individually, but I was so happy with these awesome songs that I happened not to have, and it's fun to listen to the album as a whole.

I totally think they should sell Dancing Baby Groots

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The other day I was thinking about how if I was abducted as a kid and had a walkman and one cassette tape, I would not stop listening to it either. Because I listened to my walkman, discman, and now MP3 player everywhere I go.

And that made me think of the problems I had with listening to the walkman and discman all the time, like how easily I wore out headphones and went through batteries. And that made me wonder...how does Peter get compatible batteries?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
And that made me think of the problems I had with listening to the walkman and discman all the time, like how easily I wore out headphones and went through batteries. And that made me wonder...how does Peter get compatible batteries?

Flux capacitor.

Oh, wait, wrong universe.

Replicators? No, that's...

Hmm.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The other day I was thinking about how if I was abducted as a kid and had a walkman and one cassette tape, I would not stop listening to it either. Because I listened to my walkman, discman, and now MP3 player everywhere I go.

Exactly the same thing I asked the person with me. He not only never broke or wore out that tape in 20+ years, but he had batteries and pristine headphones, AND managed to build a tape deck with speakers in an alien space craft.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
*is willing to suspend disbelief for everything in the movie, except the walkman*

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly the same thing I asked the person with me. He not only never broke or wore out that tape in 20+ years, but he had batteries and pristine headphones, AND managed to build a tape deck with speakers in an alien space craft.

I actually figured that he went to a alien shop, had them scan the stuff, and then replicate it, so he'd have backups.

I mean, honestly, it wouldn't be that difficult.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If he had backups, why would he go out of his way to rescue the walkman/tape?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Pfft that's nothing compared to what this fucking thing has been through.

sdat0201.jpg

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Completely avoided this thread until today, when I was finally able to see the film.

Initially, I was worried at the opening dancing scene. But my concern proved baseless. I loved this movie. I laughed, squeezed out a tear or two, may even have Grooted in my seat a time or two.

Didn't really consider the battery subject before now, because it was a part of the character that I really enjoyed, but seeing as Peter was on a pirate ship, it's possible he was able to find a comparable substitute when the batteries eventually died. Pirates loot, and when they can't loot, they salvage.

Also, if Rocket can figure out how to cobble together a (if you saw the movie you know what) from scrap in a short amount of time, it figures that Peter, having the motivation of someone stuck somewhere for a long time, could figure out a power source from available materials. Likewise for the tape deck in his craft.

*shrugs*

It worked for me, and that's what was important to my viewing experience.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The batteries didn't bother me (hey, I made a potato clock as a kid; I figured alien technology could have rechargables someplace), but that the tape was still operational and hadn't worn out or tangled in 20 years did.

Also really wondered about the tape deck.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score

---

I feel like tossing a Johnny Depp/Ed Wood line of "haven't you ever heard of suspension of disbelief" at someone...but won't. I wondered about that, too, but my feeling is that if you love something from your youth, you'll take REALLY good care of it. And, as someone already mentioned, it's not impossible for an advanced alien species to fix up or build something relatively simple as a pair of headphones or rig up some batteries.

I loved the flick, will definitely get the DVD when it comes out. Ooga-chaka ooga ooga ooga-chaka ooga ooga ooga...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here...
After trailing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the past two weeks, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy moved back in to first place this weekend.

In the process, Guardians of the Galaxy passed Transformers: Age of Extinction to become the highest-grossing movie of the Summer at the domestic box office.

Among the newcomers, If I Stay had a solid debut, while Sin City: A Dame to Kill For imploded.

Guardians of the Galaxy eased 32 percent to $17.2 million. It has now earned over $251 million, and by Friday it will pass fellow Marvel movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($259.8 million) to become the top grosser of the year. It also now seems likely that Guardians will end its run with over $300 million.

If anyone at anytime predicted a superhero flick with no big stars that wasn't a sequel, prequel, reboot, remake about five losers led by a former fat actor who rocked up for the role and featured a talking raccoon and tree would be the Heavyweight Champion of the Summer holding off super soldiers, wall-crawlers, mutants, Transformers and turtles, I'd say you were talking out of your ass.

At some point this hot streak Marvel is on is gonna turn cold. But before it does they are now where Pixar was: standing on top of the Hollywood sign, lord and master of all they survey, lighting cigars with $100 bills and pissing down on the heads of the peasants below.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Took my family to see it--so much fun! Cliched in some spots, but earnestly dumb and very enjoyable. Bautista is a far better actor than anyone has ever given him credit for, and pro wrestling being part acting or not, he gave a very nice, believable performance.

Who's up for the sequel?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

*Technically,* we don't know that he didn't wear them out. That Walkman could have been alien tech inside a shell. Only the fact that it looks like a Walkman remains. Same for the tape. It could be a tape, still, but made of alien Handwavium with the music stored at the quantum level so that it never wears out.

IT COULD HAPPEN! :cry:

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the movie. I actually saw it twice - a friend of mine really wanted to see it, and since she saw Watchmen a second time for me, I saw it again. I think it's one of the better Marvel films in recent memory (although I did enjoy Captain America). It was a little cliche in some spots but if you're looking for complete originality in comic book adaptations, you're barking up the wrong tree. Actually I think Watchmen was the last comic/film to try something different, and it didn't generate a lot of profit. It's more of a sure thing for studios to put out films like this that abide by a certain template.