Outlander Series on Starz

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone planning to watch this summer? Excited? Worried it won't be good enough? I'm planning to get Starz just so I can watch it. :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the book so I'll probably get Starz just to watch it. I got HBO just for Game of Thrones.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I have high hopes. I hope they're not crushed.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CAN'T. WAIT.

bluelight

Δ
Registered
Reaction score
I'm verra excited for this to come to TV.

New stuff for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkizwJUiVjA

As someone mentioned above, Ron Moore said it's his wife's favorite book series so he feels it's his job not to ruin it for her. I have high hopes. I hope it does well, as I really want to see some of the later books adapted. I mean, who doesn't want to see the Frasers hanging tough on The Ridge? ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked it.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Not bad. Beautifully shot. Good actors. Not bad writing. The pilot might slow for some, but I quite enjoyed it. That's the great thing about TV, you're allowed to take your time.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm very curious where this is going, I love the books very much, and I hope they stay true to them.

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't air until the 24th (I believe) in Canada. :/ So I'll wait... or maybe I'll stream it, we'll see haha

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it too. I thought they did a good job sticking close to the story but I was surprised when Claire didn't meet Roger. I'm wondering how they'll spin that in later seasons.

I haven't had a chance to go look it up but didn't she actually buy the vase in the book? Not an important detail so I'm not sure why they'd change that.

I loved the highlander ghost scene, the druid ceremony - stunning!, and everything else once she went through the stones.

Oh and I really loved Mrs. Graham. I found myself wishing she was more of a major character.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I really enjoyed it too. I thought they did a good job sticking close to the story but I was surprised when.... I'm wondering how they'll spin that in later seasons.

I'm wondering if they'll work more with flashbacks. They need to keep Frank occupied.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they'll work more with flashbacks. They need to keep Frank occupied.

That's kind of what I was wondering. I read somewhere that they're going to develop his story a little more so that should be interesting.

I thought Tobias Menzies did a really great job playing Frank and Black Jack.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, some of this is available online somewhere? I don't get Starz. Or have they announced any plans to put it online in the future, at Netflix or Amazon?

Maryn, big on streaming

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, some of this is available online somewhere? I don't get Starz. Or have they announced any plans to put it online in the future, at Netflix or Amazon?

Maryn, big on streaming

The released the first episode on Starz.com one week before it premiered on tv. It looks like it's still available. I don't know if they others will be available though. If anyone knows please let me know! My cousin doesn't even own a television and wants to watch.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
The first episode may still be available online!

Bless you! It is, on Starz.com Says the first episode is free. I bet they want to hook us into buying the channel. I was going to do that anyway. :)

Hopefully I can watch it tonight after the family winds down for the evening. Can't wait!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have not read the book so take my questions and or comments as someone who is a virgin to this series...

Is the book/s written in first person?

Reason I ask is because the opening episode is in first person and I sort of liked the MC narrating it as she goes along, but I also realize that this will cause a problem if they start head hopping. So, is the book/s all first person?

I am still up in the air on how I feel about the MC. She seems to be too accepting of her situation at this early point in the story, which I am sure made it easier for the writer to move the story along instead of dwelling on her emotional state. I get that this woman is a very strong character for the time period, but I mean to go from the 1940's back to the 1740's or 1840's, there has got to be some disbelief on her part.

I like the story setting and scenery/location shots. Very well done for a period piece.

I will more than likely keep watching...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I have not read the book so take my questions and or comments as someone who is a virgin to this series...

Is the book/s written in first person?

Reason I ask is because the opening episode is in first person and I sort of liked the MC narrating it as she goes along, but I also realize that this will cause a problem if they start head hopping. So, is the book/s all first person?

I am still up in the air on how I feel about the MC. She seems to be too accepting of her situation at this early point in the story, which I am sure made it easier for the writer to move the story along instead of dwelling on her emotional state. I get that this woman is a very strong character for the time period, but I mean to go from the 1940's back to the 1740's or 1840's, there has got to be some disbelief on her part.

I like the story setting and scenery/location shots. Very well done for a period piece.

I will more than likely keep watching...

First person, yes. It's done nicely in the books. I hope the TV show manages to keep her voice authentic.

She falls into 1740 and immediately finds herself in the middle of gunfire. In the book you have her debating film setting etc. for longer, her mind fighting it. But, since her life is in danger within seconds, I think she has to accept it or she dies. She tries to go back to the stones, to get back to Frank, it's her one thought, but she's also aware that without protection she won't make it. So, I think she realises she has to accept that something very weird happens.

Throughout the books she's a very clever, strong woman and I think that helps her here to come to terms fast.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Maryn, big on streaming

The first episode is available for free on Starz.com if you're in the US or via a US-based vpn.

For the rest, you have to have a Starz subscription (US only) or wait for it come to your country. I expect it will become digitally available through Amazon Prime at some point.

There will be 8 episodes shown now, and the remaining 8 early next year.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Now, I want to re-read the books :D I haven't read book 8 yet. So a re-read might be in order...

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I could have used less of was the narration. Pulled me out of the story sometimes.

I like the historical/science fiction aspect of the show. While I'm not crazy about romance, I think it has just enough of that to keep me rooting for Claire and Jamie. I like hints of romance so long as it doesn't consume the story. I think I'll pick up the book. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The romance between Claire and Jamie is the base of the story, but the books are so much more than just a romance set in a historical time.