Smashwords Edition Language No Longer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this come up in a recent thread, so thought I'd pass it on. I was at a conference this weekend where Mark Coker gave a presentation and he said that they are removing the requirement to put Smashwords Edition or words to that effect into the file. Not sure if it has hit their guidelines yet, but we had that news direct from him. He also said that they've always been willing to let a book through without that language if the author contacted them and asked them to let it through without.

Reasons you may still want to include it is to let the end-user know that they can contact Smashwords if there's some issue with reading the book. He also said it was used as a quality control measure that let them know who had actually read their guidelines and was more likely to have a file that would pass the premium catalog review. Not sure if that will still be the case going forward but continuing to include it may net you a faster review. May. He didn't say it would.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
I just self-pubbed a week ago, and their guide had the Smashwords Edition language still in there. Thanks for the info!

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Good info, thanks! I may put mine up in their storefront, now that that's true and they're accepting EPUBS. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.