The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Faded Ego

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Unexpected Journey on Monday and thought it was great.

Going to rent Desolation of Smaug tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I watched Hit and Run. It was ok. Dax Shephard is entertaining.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I watched "Philomena" last night. Brilliantly acted, but oh, what a depressing film.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I watched "Philomena" last night. Brilliantly acted, but oh, what a depressing film.

I thought it was and it wasn't. What happened to him was terribly sad, as what what happened to her - but she seemed to be as ok with it as she could've been. I thought the faith thing was interesting, in that the practitioners so fucked her over, so to speak, but it helped her so, personally.

That sort of reminded me of Prisoners, the recent Jackman/Gyllenhaal (I have no idea how to spell that; I just know there are a lot of 'a's) thing. The exploration of faith as saviour and destroyer was interesting, and a fairly understated theme in that. Underrated movie overall. Stellar performances, especially from Jackman, Leo and Bello, and well-layered.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was and it wasn't. What happened to him was terribly sad, as what what happened to her - but she seemed to be as ok with it as she could've been. I thought the faith thing was interesting, in that the practitioners so fucked her over, so to speak, but it helped her so, personally.
The fact that this was based on true events slammed home even more how much I detest the self righteous, and how thousands have suffered--various reasons/experiences/era--because of it!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Pulled out The Day the Earth Stood Still, the 1951 classic by Robert Wise and paid attention to the little details of how he shot the movie. From the matter-of-fact way Michael Rennie acts to the wide-eyed wonder and acceptance of Patricia Neal, to the music and the message, this is SO superior to the remake (GAG!) that it ain't even funny.

Glad I bought the DVD. So worth it.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score

True. She did seem okay at the end. But those nuns? Their bold-faced lies were infuriating.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Re; The evil nun movies y'all seem to be watching. I have catharsis.

The name of this movie escapes me, but it's from the 80s and stars Adrienne Barbeau. The flashback opening is evil nuns and priests at boarding school do Very Bad Things to her and she takes revenge by killing them all. She gets tossed in a locked mental ward for a few decades. Flash-forward to stupid college kids at Hallowe'en. They're going to hold a party at the long-deserted rumored-to-be-haunted convent school.

What could possibly go wrong?

The place really is haunted because the evil nuns and priests are all demons, and they possess everyone.

Enter newly released Adrienne Barbeau, carrying a flamethrower.

The movie is dreck, but fun dreck.

(Says the ex-nun who does NOT watch nun movies.)

Last edited:

FlaDan

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saving Mr Banks.

I always enjoy seeing the back story on something you have seen and loved like Mary Poppins. I really enjoyed it.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Re; The evil nun movies y'all seem to be watching. I have catharsis.

The name of this movie escapes me, but it's from the 80s and stars Adrienne Barbeau. The flashback opening is evil nuns and priests at boarding school do Very Bad Things to her and she takes revenge by killing them all. She gets tossed in a locked mental ward for a few decades. Flash-forward to stupid college kids at Hallowe'en. They're going to hold a party at the long-deserted rumored-to-be-haunted convent school.

What could possibly go wrong?

The place really is haunted because the evil nuns and priests are all demons, and they possess everyone.

Enter newly released Adrienne Barbeau, carrying a flamethrower.

The movie is dreck, but fun dreck.

(Says the ex-nun who does NOT watch nun movies.)

Sounds like The Convent. Did Adrienne ride in on a motorcycle?

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe. It's been awhile since I've seen it. I think she splashed gasoline all around the chapel then torched it and locked the doors in the opening part.

LOL, I haven't seen The Convent for years, either, but I ran off and googled it and Rotten Tomatoes describes that as the opening (I remembered the cigarette-flicking to light the fire now that it mentioned it, as well as that, "Prince of evil? You work at the Dairy Queen!" dialogue). Now I'm gonna have to see it again, because I remember it being pretty funny all around (for some reason, the other sequence that sticks in my head is the part where the stoner steals the goth teen's underpants and they start flying around the haunted convent like a bird. Yeah).

Faded Ego

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Unexpected Journey on Monday and thought it was great.

Going to rent Desolation of Smaug tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I watched Hit and Run. It was ok. Dax Shephard is entertaining.

I thought Smaug was good. I am a little confused about how you can use the word Desolation in your title and then not have any desolation of said character. Seems confusing to me.

Anyway, you are the greatest poster this board has ever seen and I thought you may know the answer.

Faded Ego

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Smaug was good. I am a little confused about how you can use the word Desolation in your title and then not have any desolation of said character. Seems confusing to me.

Anyway, you are the greatest poster this board has ever seen and I thought you may know the answer.

Desolation can also mean emptiness, so I assume that they mean Smaug vacated the castle. Though he didnt leave it empty because the Hobbit and the Dwarfs are still present.

There were probably way more pressing questions about the movie to be honest. The desolation problem is the least of my concerns. Such as, what would be the abilities of a dwarf/elf baby?

You know, important things.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Calla,

Yeah, it was The Convent. Prime dreck.

Watched Critters 2, yesterday. Why, IDK, 'cuz it sucked, but the centerfold scene with the staple was an inspired bit of lunacy.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Watching the South park movie again. South Park is eventually going to be remembered for its impact on a culture defined by by the overly insecure and the entitled narcissists long after it is gone.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Watched Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samarai tonight. Forrest Whittaker, trying to reconcile what he does with who he is. Funky movie and sound track. I liked it, didn't think I would.