Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have corrected an egregious error in my life and watched Firefly and, after that, Serenity.

Srsly, I avoided Firefly for so long because Westerns aren't my thing. However, I finally see what all the fan adoration is about. I was pleased that the movie's bigger budget didn't ruin the mojo of the series.

If anyone else still has this gap, I recommend both the series and the movie wholeheartedly.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Oblivion. Descent. Not omg great, not omg sucks. I did think the sci-fi futuristic elements were AWESOMELY done though. So there was that. Had sort of a Matrix/Resident Evil/Clone Army vibe with all the home growing babies/people but overall, I was mostly entertained.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Edge of Tomorrow. It was a Cruise weekend apparently. The movie was cool. Sort of Ground Hog's Day in a sci-fi setting/plot.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Gravity on my skybox – finally got around to watching it weeks after I downloaded it.

Utter bollocks. Entertaining bollocks, mind you. Fantastic visuals, and the actors were pretty good, too.

My geeky self was thinking of the bill to replace all that hardware.

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't watch any movies this weekend as I was at a bachelorette thingy, but last weekend I saw Before I Go To Sleep. Didn't predict the plot twist even though I knew there was one, so I always enjoy that.

Also saw the Winter Soldier again. Cap kicks so much ass in that film, I can never get tired of it. Also, Sebastian Stan is in it. ;)

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I have corrected an egregious error in my life and watched Firefly and, after that, Serenity.

I dug out my Firefly boxset the other night and watched the first ep again after having not seen it for years. Still utterly brilliant.

Last film I watched was probably Pan's Labyrinth. Film I'm currently watching is Ocean's Eleven (it's on TV). Film I'll watch next is the new X-Men one as my DVD just arrived the other day and I missed it at the cinema.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I went to the library and indulged my semi-annual need to watch The Reduced Shakespeare Company's The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged).

I really should buy a copy. I love it to bits.

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
John Carter. I think I liked it. But I wanted him to get it on with the alien girl! Why don't these movie people ever have alien fetishes?!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
katie, how was The Imitation Game?? Really want to see that.

I saw The Better Angels, a very small-time indie film about the childhood of Abraham Lincoln. I liked it more than the reviews might indicate, but I'm a bit of a Lincoln fangirl--it was probably less interesting and less comprehensible to someone unfamiliar with what was happening. It was also beautifully shot.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
How to Train Your Dragon 2 -- massively overrated.

The last ten-to-fifteen minutes were good, but mostly it wasn't worth the hype.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
[QUOTE=indwig;9182817]Piranha 2. The film opens up with two people going down to an underwater shipwreck to bang. Who does that?![/QUOTE]

---

Don't knock it til you've tried it.:D

As for movies, watched The Maze with Richard Carlson and another 3D venture, Creature From the Black Lagoon. Really good...the voice commentary is great, and the crack by one of the clappers when Whit Bissell gets ripped up by the creature--"How ya fixed for blades"--made me howl. Worth watching, both of them, but especially the latter flick.

Five Million Years to Earth is also wonderful and not schlocky at all. Great dialogue. I bought the DVD years back and have watched it every so often ever since. Really top quality writing. Talky? Yes, but interesting.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Equilibrium. A sort of interesting concept but didn't quite work for me. Bale was okay, but I wouldn't say it was a very challenging role for him. I don't know. The whole thing was based on an emotionless society, but even when people were supposed to be emotionless, they showed anger, annoyance, concern, etc. I'd give it a 2.5/5

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. I could stare at Bale for hours at a time. :D And Sean Bean. Too bad he was only in the movie for about 2 seconds. :D Taye Diggs was pretty scrumptious as well. I'd even go as far as to say that he has one of the most beautiful smiles in Hollywood. ;)

Last edited:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
The French animated Film 'Ernest & Celestine". It. Was. AWESOME! OMG! And then I found out yesterday it LOST the Oscar against stooopid Frozen! Grrrr!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Mockingjay: pt. 1

Meh. The whole thing could have been condensed into a 20 minute lead in for a movie that covered the entire book.