What Are the Best Ways Of Getting Read for Someone Just Getting Back in the Game?

Hercules

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm new to this forum. I took a break from screenwriting and participated in other things. But this year I just wrote two new scripts and I am back in the game.

So what are some suggested ways of getting read or popular screenwriting related websites these days? I realize during the time I was out of the scene I may have fallen out of the game. What are good prodco, management company, and agency lists online these days? And anything else relevant.

bluetrees4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm new to this forum. I took a break from screenwriting and participated in other things. But this year I just wrote two new scripts and I am back in the game.

So what are some suggested ways of getting read or popular screenwriting related websites these days? I realize during the time I was out of the scene I may have fallen out of the game. What are good prodco, management company, and agency lists online these days? And anything else relevant.

1. MovieBytes.

2. The Black List.

3. I believe this site contains a list of agents/companies that accept unsolicited work/pitches.

4. I am currently in a "if I write one more rejected piece, I am going to join a nunnery" stage, so I am certainly willing to read your work.

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
Here's my suggestions:

1. Enter prominent screenwriting competitions (eg: Nicholl, Austin)

2. Query managers, not agents. Most managers, even prominent ones, tend to read brief but interesting query letter/email and if they love your logline, might request a read. I have a list of management companies on my website.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck!

kevacho

Registered
Reaction score
Hello again...

I'm in a similar position as bluetrees4, and admittedly in quite the quandary regarding the Hollywood Creative/Representation Directory's absence. It's been a couple of years since I queried and H.C.D. was always my "go to". Kind of in stump as to what to do. Through my research it appears that imdbpro is NOT for screenwriters.

If anyone has information, or an up to date list of agents and managers, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Kevin

p.s. Does anyone have any experience with the "Hollywood Screenwriting Directory"?

kevacho

Registered
Reaction score
Oops...

Spoke to soon. Thanks for the Manager/Agent list Kfu300.

Sincerely,

Kevin

muharana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
IMDB Pro has replaced the HCD for me. It takes a little ingenuity sometimes, to find what you're looking for. I often search for movies like the one I've created, see who produced that, and go from there.

I have always had better luck querying producers than managers or agents. I wound up being asked to be a "reader" by a few of the ones who liked my writing.

There are a few services that have producers, agents and managers on conference calls and other types pitch sessions, and they usually allow email pitches, too, for a limited time to special addresses. Top agents and producers seem to really like that, but you have to pay to play and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

But I've seen some heavy hitters listed in the emails I receive from two of them, so if I go back to scriptwriting any time soon, I'll probably give that a try, too.

Last edited:

kevacho

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the information muharana. Guess it can't hurt to try the imdbpro.

Kevin