To Live and Die in LA

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Screenwriting concentrates more alphas - by nature, adaptation or attrition - than any other group of writers. While we collaborate with other professionals in the course of movie-making, we tend to eat our young rather than nurture them and rather boast among each other of the bones with which teeth are picked than discard them. Likely, it's Hollywood treasure which stokes the usual writerly sense of being frauds uncaught into fear of any who might expose us. Cue flaming egos.

On the other hand, in reality most screenwriters wrestle as much with their craft as anyone, and would love to improve it by analysis and discussion. We'll discuss our work with those we trust and tend to cultivate whoever gives notes which improve our game.

Mindful of this screenwriter's ying and yang, this thread is raised as a lightening-rod in hope of channeling some of the peculiarly arcing quest for dominance and so insulate and enliven other discussions.

As an inaugural, LA is a good example of a contentious topic whenever screenwriters meet.

If living there was ever essential, has it become a fool's fire obscuring other roads into the industry?

You are invited to debate vigorously.

Last edited:

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Vigorously debate about what?

Living in L.A.?

Or your take on what personality traits/temperament make up "screenwriters"?

If the former, it can be beneficial to many.

If the latter, how did you come to your conclusion?

Or is this just the equivalent of a forum op-ed?

Just trying to figure out the point of this post.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping this would be a discussion about the movie, which is a classic.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We rewatched it recently and enjoyed it all over again. In some ways the film was pretty dated, costuming especially, but after ten minutes of remarking how young the actors were and how cell phones would change the plot, we got into it.

But my understanding is that Day Agent believes living in LA is not necessary for success as a screenwriter, since this is his second attempt to insist that is so. I imagine that's what he's hoping to discuss, with a clever subject line.

Maryn, whose few online screenwriting friends all live in the LA area, save one who commutes there regularly

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
I have indeed stated living in LA to break in is not essential in another thread, I had not yet attempted to insist so here.
I do find the notion at least a little overstated, possibly outdated, and I am curious what the impressions are of others.

Last edited:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
We rewatched it recently and enjoyed it all over again. In some ways the film was pretty dated, costuming especially, but after ten minutes of remarking how young the actors were and how cell phones would change the plot, we got into it.

hehe yeah, it had lots of 80s kitsch to the max. If the plot wasnt so dark and well executed it would probably be a camp classic.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I have indeed stated living in LA to break in is not essential in another thread, I had not yet attempted to insist so here.
I do find the notion at least a little overstated, possibly outdated, and I am curious what the impressions are of others.

Well, from a distance I would think that if you want a Hollywood career, living in LA would be a good idea in terms of availability, networking and a unique experience if nothing else. However, the internet has made it very easy to query and I have never had a problem getting scripts read in HW and the lssue of my location has never come up. If I sold a script over there and had the potential to sell more, I'd certainly consider the move.

I also know a couple of writers who have sold in HW and who live in Australia - they have agents in LA - who fly in for meetings regularly. It's only a 12 hour flight, after all.

But if you are not HW focussed, movies are being made everywhere, so HW is just one of many options for a scriptwriting career.

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com

This is a topic I have spent a lot of time researching. The general consensus is that screenwriters do not have to live in Los Angeles, but it does make it substantially more difficult if you do not. This is not just hyperbole. I run a website and podcast dedicated to writing and have interviewed dozens of reps (agents & managers) about this.

The reason being, most screenwriters do not sell spec scripts for a living. The spec market isn't what it used to be pre-2007/08 WGA strike and sales are still WAY down. Most writers use specs as writing samples to get meetings where they can land OWA's and pitch sales. Lots and lots of meetings done face-to-face. Can they be done electronically, via Skype or conference call? Sure. Are they generally? No. And if you do, you're still at a disadvantage over the dozens of other writers who are sitting in the room with the exec or producer. So, if you're not in L.A., all the reps I spoke to said, writers need to be willing to travel to L.A. at least a few times a year and stay for a week or two to take meetings. If you can do that, most reps are cool with that. If not, as I mentioned, it's much much more difficult (although not impossible I suppose) and it's already an uphill battle!

That being said, if you're considering the move to L.A., I wouldn't do so until you have already signed with a rep so you'll have meetings that necessitate you being here. You can definitely land an agent/manager while living outside of L.A. and you should.

If you're interested in a few of the interviews I did with reps who talk about signing clients based outside of L.A., here are a few. Eric Williams, Marc Manus, Markus Goerg and Scott Carr are the first to come to mind. I'm sure there are others, but those guys definitely talk about the subject.

Also, my advice is based on working in and for the studio system. If you want to make independent film, you can likely do that anywhere.

Last edited:

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's more about the writing than the location.

Most writers who move to Los Angeles to "make it," never do. And those who choose not to do the move never make it either.

This is a business of relationships, and if you believe you can create meaningful Hollywood relationships from Oshkosh, don't move. Many relocate to Los Angeles devoid of networking abilities and should have stayed in Oshkosh.

99.9% of the time, this question is asked by the wrong people - the people who will never ever get paid to write screenplays.

Work on your craft. Get to a point where this question actually has relevance.