Writing for Cartoons/Animated Movies...Can you submit a script with no art attached?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. I have a lot of plot ideas that could make good cartoons. However, I can't draw to save my life and do not know any artists personally that can draw for me. I know some animation companies, like Disney, have teams of animators in their employ that work directly for them and I was wondering whether or not such animation companies, or other companies that already possess their own artists and/or have ties to existing artists/animators will take scripts for possible cartoons or animated movies that don't have any kind of quality art attached to them and then put their own artists to work on them?

As stated I am fairly ill-informed as to how this industry works, so I am curious as to how "different" writing for cartoons and animated films is from writing for their live-action equivalents in terms of whether or not you have to include art/animation with your submission?

If anybody could answer these questions for me I'd be grateful!

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, scripts aren't submitted with art. Nor are they generally submitted to Disney, which has several hundred people employed to produce stuff full-time.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Then where -are- scripts for cartoons/animated movies sent? I think(but do not know for sure) that most non-feature film length cartoons/cartoon seires usually either require a finished product to be submitted(I.E. an actual pilot of the cartoon, not just a script..) or come from people already on the inside in the industry....is it the same way for animated movies?

In general if you have an idea for a cartoon or animated movie, is there any way to get your script to people able to produce it without also being the animator/having the artistic skill to make the actual cartoon yourself? Or is that basically impossible? As stated, I know next to nothing about this industry/business stuff, so some answers on how, if at all, this can be done would be nice...

Last edited:

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
Animated features tend to be developed in-house at animation studios (Pixar, Dreamworks Animation, etc.) and they don't tend to buy spec screenplays. They generally will have an idea and hire a writer based on previous work or relationships.

TV animation can be generated in-house by networks or through talent incubators where the networks work with animators who have their own ideas and build or buy a show from them. As far as how one gets into these "talent incubators", I'm not 100% sure. I believe they are also in-house projects, where animators working on current shows are given the opportunity to develop new shows. They might also look at script submissions, but I believe it's rare for them to seek out scripts without art/video to accompany it.

Once a pilot is done and if the series gets a green light, they can hire a writing staff (who are not animators). But generally speaking, most animated shows are created by writers who are also animators, since so much of the show is in the artwork and character design.

These are not absolutes and there are exceptions, but from my understanding, this is the way a majority of animated movies and shows are developed.

My insights come from talking to various talent agents and managers. One thing that you might find helpful, is the interview I did with Gotham Group's Eddie Gamarra who specializes in book/graphic novel to film/tv adaptations and animation projects.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can pitch cartoons - there are networks like Comedy Central and production companies that do them. It depends what you're doing, who it'd appeal to, etc. You can look for an agent or manager, or try to pitch it straight - I *think* Comedy Central has a writer's camp/internship deal along the lines of some of the network ones, but I may be wrong.

I've known a couple people into the cartoon thing who were targetting CC. I don't know exactly which way they went about it; I do know they knew it was possible, and they had some backups, and were quite savvy about what they were doing. So it does exist as a thing to do in a general sense, is all I know.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah..CC wasn't exactly the market I was going for, TBH. I was not going for the dirty/adult cartoon angle in the slightest. I was more aiming at kids with an action-y superhero-esc kind of deal. The idea actually started out as "Hey, this may make a good MG book" but then I started having doubts as it is full, and I mean crammed full of superpower-based fight scenes and I am not sure that such a story would "work" as a book aimed at kids...so I was like...it may be worth seeing if I could somehow pitch it as a cartoon...

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
It's not easy selling animated scripts and some of the bigger studios like Dreamworks and Pixar do almost everything in house.

However, there are lots of producers you can contact. I managed to get my script fairly high up the executive chain at Fox after querying Blue Sky Studios (Ice Age producer). They eventually passed, but it was an exciting few weeks!

I just looked up every animated feature on IMDb for the last few years and Googled the producers for contact details. This resulted in quite a few read requests, but no sale. I'm now thinking of turning the idea into a TV series, once I have some time.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
So it -is- technically possible to submit a script for an animated TV series as well as a movie...without any art attached? Interesting. I was under the impression that for animated TV series you where pretty much 100% required to also be the animator? As stated, I am not interested in the adult cartoon market unless to make something that would be like an action anime...I have no interest in raunchy/dirty humor type stuff like south park or family guy....at all. I am primarily looking to do something more action-y/superhero-esc that would likely be aimed at kids....or if aimed-at-kids is not possible then something more anime-like, with a fantasy/science-fantasy setting, high-action, superpowered fights and a generally serious tone.

So knowing this, what would you suggest I do once I am ready to seek to sell such a script?

Last edited:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
My artistic ability peaked when I was about 5, so you won't get illustrations from me!

Animation companies have their own animators, so it's fine to submit a script without art. They are looking for stories that would make great animated films or TV shows and not - in my opinion - new artists.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...but you also said a lot of work happens -in house- so is there any way I could find out which companies take script submissions from individuals not on the inside?

Last edited:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...but you also said a lot of work happens -in house- so is there any way I could find out which companies take script submissions from individuals not on the inside?

The only two companies I've never been able to reach are Dreamworks and Pixar. People say it's impossible to get in there from outside. I don't believe that, but I still haven't cracked them open yet.

When I emailed Blue Sky I got an instant legal response saying they don't read queries, my message has been deleted, don't contact us again etc. An hour later I got a script request from the Fox Animation legal department.

You are only limited by the contact information available, and pretty much anyone's email details can be found through a bit of creative internet searching. Extend your creative ability finding a buyer for your work and you will be amazed at the contact information that suddenly appears!

kamekichi

Registered
Reaction score
(Hope it's OK to add to this thread a month later) Nickelodeon also has a "Writer's Fellowship" each year, where you submit a spec script for an existing show, come on board for a year of training and writing for existing shows. This may not be as direct, but could be a great way for you to be the in-house person pitching your show or movie at some point.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Nogetsune, I have extensive experience in the animation world, and first of all, I must warn you that usually the studios will accept, but will not read any proposal from first timers (if that is your case).

If you already have some credential in animation, or other writing related industry, than the best way to present your script, would be :

a) go to a animation festival/market and try to talk to as much producers you can. Pitch the idea in less than 2 min. Normally they will require to see some art, but if you get them interested, they will maybe ask you to send them some more information about your project (pitch, synopsis, treatment, maybe even the script). This happens rarely, though. There are many other candidates who have a script, art dossier, and possibly some budget....

b) Contact the producer of some show you like and try to send them a sample script. If they say ok, then you have a chance on entering the show as a writer. This is probably the easiest way to break through.

c) If you don't have any written scripts in your portfolio, then your chances to enter anywhere, into animation or film industry, are pretty slim. Write a short film and try to get it produced. A good portfolio with only one film can get you far, if you're lucky, but total beginners are never ever read.