Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
ilookcool
figuring it all out

ilookcool is on a distinguished road
Beta needed for Women's Fiction (will swap! I read most genres)

I'm seeking beta readers for my women's fiction, complete at 110K words. I'm not looking for line-by-line critique, but feedback on the big picture: plot, characterization, pacing, structure, style/voice and so on.

The summary of the book: When a smartass modern American woman is thrust into a world much like the late 14th-century Europe, she and a noble maiden are joined on a journey to seek freedom in an oppressive society and gender-biased culture.

As for a swap, I'll read anything in the following genres: SF/F, Historical fiction, Women's fiction, contemporary fiction, historical or fantasy romance, YA (anything except paranormal). If yours is less than 90K words, I can also do line-by-line critique for you. Please note, I will NOT read first draft.

We can swap the first 30-50 pages to see if we're a good fit. If we decide we are, I expect you to finish what you're committed to and I'll do the same for you. PM me or reply to this message if you're interested!

Thank you for reading.
ilookcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
ZoeYork
practical experience, FTW

ZoeYork is on a distinguished road
I might be interested! I'm working on my first contemporary romance. It won't be ready for critiquing until some time in the new year, however, so the swap would be an IOU if that's okay. I don't think I'd request a line-by-line critique (but wouldn't be offended by specific comments if offered). I'm happy to share part of my first draft so you can see my style.

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Untitled Christmas Novella: 12,000/25,000 words
ZoeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Raula

Raula is on a distinguished road
Hiya, I would be interested in reading yours. It sounds interesting and I am certainly someone who is better at commenting on overview rather than line-by-line. I also have strengths in characterisation/plot.

In swap, I have a historical fantasy at around 95k. It's a reinterpretation of King Lear and I am looking for a similar overview of themes and critique. It's not in first draft but it's not in final draft either. My last beta has flagged up some issues with sword-fighting/battle scenes that I'm currently working on.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
ilookcool
figuring it all out

PM'd you both.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
aikigypsy

aikigypsy is on a distinguished road
I'm a little late jumping on here, but if you're still looking for another reader, I would be up for it.

In exchange, I'm embarking on a major re-write of a Regency romance, and I'm looking for someone to crit my synopsis in the next couple of weeks, as I tweak some plot elements for the re-write, and then to look at the completed manuscript (probably 80-90k) in the spring (April, give or take a month or so).
aikigypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
K. Trian
J'decline l'honneur d'Ítre un angel

K. Trian is well-respected
Hi! If you are still looking to swap, here's a sci-fi novel on offer! It's quite edited so definitely not a first draft... or second... or tenth. Though we're still removing some redundant bits of description etc, so it'd also be nice to get feedback on details such as things that seem unnecessary or that slow down the pace. No line-by-line critique required.

The story could be described as space opera with influences from women's fiction in the sense that especially the first book (the only one we've properly finished) focuses quite heavily on three female characters. The story centers around a rookie space ranger, Lise Armfelt, and her adventures in Solus, Earth's space colony. It's NC-17, there's violence and profanity and a bit of adult content.
I and my husband have written it together.

It's ready right now, so if you're still interested and looking for beta readers for your own work, we'd be glad to help!

Our tactical center on the interwebz can be found and followed here: http://tktrian.wordpress.com/

Sci-fi -- fantasy -- horror
K. Trian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
ilookcool
figuring it all out

PM'd you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Trian View Post
Hi! If you are still looking to swap, here's a sci-fi novel on offer! It's quite edited so definitely not a first draft... or second... or tenth. Though we're still removing some redundant bits of description etc, so it'd also be nice to get feedback on details such as things that seem unnecessary or that slow down the pace. No line-by-line critique required.

The story could be described as space opera with influences from women's fiction in the sense that especially the first book (the only one we've properly finished) focuses quite heavily on three female characters. The story centers around a rookie space ranger, Lise Armfelt, and her adventures in Solus, Earth's space colony. It's NC-17, there's violence and profanity and a bit of adult content.
I and my husband have written it together.

It's ready right now, so if you're still interested and looking for beta readers for your own work, we'd be glad to help!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
FionnJameson
Fionn: 0/Year: 24

FionnJameson is on a distinguished road
Ah, I wish I'd gotten here sooner as I'm such a fan of time-travel books. I'm currently working on polishing my UF, about a pyrokinetic morally ambiguous demon hunter who might or might not be in love/lust with the demon who owns her soul. If that sounds like it might be up your alley, please let me know!