What does "canned phrase" mean?

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going through my first round of edits on my debut novel, so my experience with some lingo is zero.

Twice, the editor highlighted part of a sentence and wrote "canned phrase". Help! What is a canned phrase? Even my buddy Google couldn't help me.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
To my ear, a "canned phrase" is cliched and trite.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
A canned phrase is essentially a phrase that is pre-written. You've opened it up and inserted it into your text. "Within the realm of possibility," "In my humble opinion" etc. I hope that makes sense. :)

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
To my ear, a "canned phrase" is cliched and trite.

My editor also wrote "cliche" in three other sentences, so I didn't think the two had anything to do with each other. My God, I have a lot to learn.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
My editor also wrote "cliche" in three other sentences, so I didn't think the two had anything to do with each other. My God, I have a lot to learn.

:tongue It's tricky to judge how much explanation to give when you're editing. Sometimes I give a detailed explanation of something and the author thinks I'm treating them like an idiot, but if I don't explain, inevitably the author hasn't come across that term before.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A canned phrase is a cliche, but the "canned" part comes from "canned" laughter on TV shows. Pre-recorded laughter, in other words.

It's a setup, in other words. A "canned phrase" is just a cliche that's used for a common situation or condition. Like the canned laughter, it's used, even when not warranted. A joke isn't funny, but the canned laughter laughs, anyway. The situation really needs a better line, but but the canned phrase is used, anyway.

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
All of your info helped A LOT, everyone. Thanks!

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Very informative and a good link. Thank youKay for starting the topic and all who replied. I never heard of canned phrase before, either!

eselle

Registered
Reaction score
Great link, and great advice here. I sometimes worry about things like this, so having a guide to work with is a great help!