Can I get some help understanding clouds

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any one here use clouds for storage? I saw a deal on a personal cloud (3T) and not sure if it's a better than iCloud, or any of the other cloud options.

I need at least a terabyte of space. I want to access it from everywhere.

Any suggestions, or things I should consider?

Thanks so much.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Google drive is pretty cheap

15GB — Free
100GB — $1.99 a month
1TB — $9.99 a month
10TB or more — $99.99 a month

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Google drive is pretty cheap

15GB — Free
100GB — $1.99 a month
1TB — $9.99 a month
10TB or more — $99.99 a month

Thanks, Ave. Have you ever used a personal cloud? Apparently there's no monthly fee (but about $200 up front for 3TB). But I don't really get how it works. It's a device, but not an external hard-drive? I've been searching for threads about it, but coming up more confused b/c of how much conflicting info there is. Might just have to make a trip to Futureshop to talk to someone.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
There are two different kinds of things that can be called "personal clouds", which could be where the confusion is coming from. If the advertisement is for a service, it's something like Google Drive, although the implementation details may differ. If the advertisement is for a device, it's just a NAS (Network-Attached Storage--that is, a hard drive that can be accessed remotely over a local network or the Internet) that's being marketed with terms that are currently trendy.

You have more control over a NAS than you would over a remote storage service, but the downside is that you're responsible for setting it up (including settings to make it accessible through your router/modem) and keeping it maintained. And they do require maintenance--my bet is that a fair fraction of those currently on the market suffer from the Heartbleed bug. Also, since a NAS is typically located in the same building as your computer, any gross physical disaster would take it out too.

My aging Western Digital MyWorldbook is probably similar to what you would end up getting, but I've never used its built-in remote-access features (actually, the first thing I did was jailbreak it), and so can't comment on them.