When writing a specific type of Science Fantasy,

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Usually something like a hybrid of Mundane Sf and Dark Urban Fantasy, how do you account for trying to make it real enough to not weird out an SF person. Yet still use some of the tropes that the fantasy genre is more known for?

I kind of sort of developed a magic system, I've been using fairly consistently with the last four or so short stories. Something sort of like where its not usable or harness-able. But is felt through supernatural events that happen. Not like a ghost (or how it's originally thought of) but my disrupted technology.

I use to just throw whatever out there and just see if it sticks. Quests revolving around rescuing a princess, check. Zombies that develop from nuclear weapons, check. Science experiments that change the psychology of human specimens, check. Often in the same story. I'm not sure if I can go back to where I was. The Sf feels less like Sf these days, and the Fantasy feels less like fantasy. Sort of those under the surface magical details.

I rambled a bit, are there any books that have those quieter fantasy details? As far as SF the only Quiet Sf I know of is the book Pattern Recognition, if that's even considered SF.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't really understand what you are asking. I'm not sure what "Mundane SF" is, nor why SF readers should be weirded out?

There are plenty of books that combine both SF and Fantasy elements, with more or less subtlety. Neither needs to be an overt feature. As long as the worldbuilding supports both, the rules and interplay seems consistent, and the reader is sufficiently clued in to the existence of those elements such that it doesn't seem like a "cheat" surprise at the end of the book, it can be made to work. Only way to know for sure is to write it.

TomW22

Registered
Reaction score
I too am a bit unclear on what you're asking. What is it you want to write? Fantasy with the realism of sci-fi, or more sci-fi with the creative freedom of fantasy? Either way, don't worry about ''weirding out'' sci-fi audiences. Make the story work; that's what carries people. As long as the laws of your universe make sense and are consistent, you'll be fine.

I've never heard of 'mundane SF' either.

MkMoore

Treasure-hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lessthanheroic.net
I don't think writing science fantasy is going to "weird out" anyone. You won't get hard sci fi fans, obviously, but there's plenty of scifi out there that's squishy. I mean, Dune is basically fantasy disguised as SF.

Don't worry about finding other books "like" your book so much, just write your book. I was writing a near-future where people had telekinetic powers and I spent a lot of time worrying about genre and sub-genre instead of writing. Don't worry about genre. Write.