3 Trials ideas?

ceramiccoconut

Registered
Reaction score
Website
breakingthemetawall.blogspot.com
OK, so my main 3 (a swordsman, an archer, and a pre-teen girl) find themselves in this secret paradise home of the Fae (which, in this world, incorporates all sorts of mythical beings/creatures). Humans are strictly forbidden, and they're arrested (except for the girl, as they won't punish children). To prove themselves enough so they can leave the place with their lives, they have to perform 3 trials/tests. (Yeah, it's pretty cliche... I don't care.) My problem is... I'm having trouble thinking of 3 adequate trials for them, especially ones that can take up their own full chapters. Any ideas?

(If it helps, this is an adult book (as opposed to YA or MG), so anything goes.)

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Well, what do they have to prove? Bravery? Honor? Strength? Knowledge? Wisdom? Knowing what the fae want them to prove will help you narrow down the possibilities of the trials.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
So you want to test their goodness and their ability to keep a secret. Is it plausible that, instead of being arrested and forced into these trials, they could be led into them, unaware that they're being tested? It's easier to test these sort of things when the test-takers aren't aware of it, thus making their actions genuine.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
In other words, they have to prove they are trustworthy and loyal. Obviously, one or more of the Fae has to observe and judge them during their task. I think the task would be fakes with the real objective for the Fae to observe the humans true emotions and how they react.

Or something like that...

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you could use some variation on the prisoner's dilemma for the first trial. Maybe the Fae isolate the archer and offer him\her the chance to walk free if he\she will allow his two companions to be trapped forever?

They could also do something like the whole Slugworth thing from Willy Wonka and the Charlie Factory and tell each member a secret, implore them to keep it from each other, and then see if they do so.

I'm also a sucker for a game of riddles, but I don't know how well that would work in context.

Hope one of these suggestions gives you an idea.

lurky

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps they get involved in some adventure, only at the end of it are they told that it was concocted by the Fae to test them in three ways.