Idiot Alert - What does this mean?

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
"chrome://sahtb/content/jquery-1.4.2.minjs:71"

I use Firefox and have never had any problems until recently. I'm one a web page and suddenly the page freezes. If I close the page I get the message that the script has stopped responding and the above message. I don't know what I've done but it's really driving me nuts.

Now for a second question.

According to "My Computer" my laptop has 36 gigabytes and I'm using just over 33. I can't find any program or files or even pictures that could be taking up that much space. I've taken off all my music and audiobooks and nothing has changed.

Thanks for the help.

Candy

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
"chrome://sahtb/content/jquery-1.4.2.minjs:71"

I use Firefox and have never had any problems until recently. I'm one a web page and suddenly the page freezes. If I close the page I get the message that the script has stopped responding and the above message. I don't know what I've done but it's really driving me nuts.

Now for a second question.

According to "My Computer" my laptop has 36 gigabytes and I'm using just over 33. I can't find any program or files or even pictures that could be taking up that much space. I've taken off all my music and audiobooks and nothing has changed.

Thanks for the help.

Candy

No idea about the Javascript problem - try updating Java? - but as for the space issue, 36GB seems very small for the total capacity of your laptop, unless it's very, very old.

There's a good program called Spacemonger which you can download for a free trial, which will give you a good visualisation of what is taking up space. If you've deleted things, make sure you have emptied your Recycle Bin, as you won't recover disk space until you've done that.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Do I need to uninstall Java and then re-install it?

As far as the laptop goes, it's probably five or six years old if not older. When I crashed my last desktop I took over my husband's laptop. He had the professional version of Adobe on it and I uninstalled it because I didn't need all that stuff. I've uninstalled several programs and then did the clean-up thing. The recycle bin is empty.

I think what I may end up doing is backing up the stuff I have on the laptop and then figure out how to reformat the drive.

Thanks,
Candy

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing about this particular error that suggests to me that you need a reformat. Maybe it's part of a larger pattern, though.

That piece of code seems to refer to some function within the Google Chrome browser. How exactly do you wind up seeing it?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Delete your browser's temporary files. Also, you might want to check you account's temporary file folders; the location of your temporary file folder is found by opening a command prompt window (found in the Accessories app folder or pressing the START + R button combination) and typing %temp% in it. This should open an Explorer pointing to the directory that needs cleaning. On Win7, it should point to "c:/users/<yourusername>/AppData/Local/Temp".

-cb

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recognize that error, but ... here's some info that's always good to post with tech help questions (is this in some "How to ask for Tech Help" stickie?):

What model computer is it? Mac or MSWindows/PC?

How much RAM does it have? 1 GB (gigabyte) is pretty minimal, 8GB should be plenty. If it's 500 MB (megabytes), I'm surprised you're surfing the Web with that computer.

How much total disk space and how much free? You already told us, 36GB total and 33GB used, so about 3GB free. 36GB is a pretty small drive thesedays, suggesting your computer is quite old as Torgo says, maybe 10 years old.

What operating system is your computer running? Windows XP is probably the oldest acceptable for PC's nowadays.

Without more info, offhand I'd suggest doing a virus scan. This is always a good idea anyway.
No idea about the Javascript problem - try updating Java? - but as for the space issue, 36GB seems very small for the total capacity of your laptop, unless it's very, very old.

There's a good program called Spacemonger which you can download for a free trial, which will give you a good visualisation of what is taking up space. If you've deleted things, make sure you have emptied your Recycle Bin, as you won't recover disk space until you've done that.
Javascript and Java are NOT the same thing - they are totally separate, and it was an unfortunate naming of two different things (that both run on browsers and can do some of the same things).

Yeah, that's small for a total, but 36-33=3 gigabytes free should be enough disk space for the moment. Emptying the Recycle Bin is a good idea in general and may free up more space, but I'm doubtful it will fix your problem.
Do I need to uninstall Java and then re-install it?

As far as the laptop goes, it's probably five or six years old if not older. When I crashed my last desktop I took over my husband's laptop. He had the professional version of Adobe on it and I uninstalled it because I didn't need all that stuff. I've uninstalled several programs and then did the clean-up thing. The recycle bin is empty.

I think what I may end up doing is backing up the stuff I have on the laptop and then figure out how to reformat the drive.

Thanks,
Candy
Reformatting and reloading the OS (do you know where the original install CD is? You'll need that) is a fairly extreme measure, though backing up your own files is always a good idea. I'd do security scans and other stuff before reformatting or reloading.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
even at 5-6 years old, that's low memory. Mine's around 6 years old, basic Wal-Mart edition HP, and it's got 260 Gb.

Go to "computer" and check the local disk properties to double check.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
"chrome://sahtb/content/jquery-1.4.2.minjs:71"--If that's coming from inside your Firefox instance, you've got something peculiar going on. An URL with the chrome protocol is something that accesses the guts of Firefox itself (no, it doesn't have anything to do with Google Chrome--the term is much older than their browser, and refers to the look and feel of a user interface).

In this case, the syntax suggests a package called "sahtb" (possibly an abbreviation, but it could also be randomly-named malware). You might have a rogue add-on. If that's the case, you can try to narrow it down by deactivating whatever add-ons you have installed, and then, if that fixes it, reactivating them one at a time until the problem reappears. If that doesn't help, the next step would be creating a new user profile.

I can't see 36GB being the total capacity of the main hard drive for a laptop no older than mine (~7-8 years old, 80GB spinning-platter drive) *unless* it was a very early SSD-only model, and even then that's a very odd number--my guess is that there's a manufacturer's recovery partition eating a chunk of the drive.

Things that could be taking up disk space without you realizing it: browser cache, memory swap pages or other temporary files, old Windows updates, Windows restore points, and (as people have already mentioned) things in the trash.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
From what I can find, sahtb has something to do with a search toolbar that installs as a browser helper object. Here are a few examples from users who posted on various forums about browser misbehaving (searched on sahtb plus firefox):

Line Found : user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "KeyBar 1.12 Customized Web Search");
Line Found : user_pref("extensions.sahtb.searchEngineNameCurrent", "KeyBar 1.12 Customized Web Search");
Line Found : user_pref("extensions.sahtb.searchEngineNameSAH", "Web Search");
Deleted : user_pref("extensions.sahtb.searchEngineNameSAH", "Web Search");
Deleted : user_pref("extensions.sahtb.url.merchants.data", "<?xml version=\"1.0\" ?><MerchantSettings><v n=\"3[...]
Deleted : user_pref("extensions.sahtb.url.prefs.data", "<ToolbarPrefs>\r\n <XMLVersion Number=\"{bdd09e8b-8dee[...]
c:\program files (x86)\SelectRebates\Toolbar\sahtb-alert.bmp
c:\program files (x86)\SelectRebates\Toolbar\sahtb-go.bmp
c:\program files (x86)\SelectRebates\Toolbar\sahtb-grocerycoupons.bmp
c:\program files (x86)\SelectRebates\Toolbar\sahtb-icons.bmp
c:\program files (x86)\SelectRebates\Toolbar\sahtb-restaurant.bmp
c:\program files (x86)\SelectRebates\Toolbar\sahtb-wishlist.bmp

and another page in which the same stuff was killed in a malware hunt:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=134935

It may be badly coded and crashed a component of the browser's "chrome". The numbers are probably a version number for the affected component. It's quite common for the only symptom of malware to be that the browser becomes unstable.

Anyway, I would run a good malware detector (I have not used the freebie of malwarebytes, but here it is: http://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ ) and see what comes up.

If it's some sort of adware, it may have downloaded a whole bunch of Junk, tho 33GB worth seems a wee bit excessive. (Well, 15-20GB after Windows and Stuff.)

Someone mentioned using an automated "What ate my space?" tool, or you can use Windows Explorer, set to show ALL files and directories, and on each root directory, right-click and then click "Properties" (assuming it still works the same post-XP). It'll cook for a while, then cough up the number of files and total space used. (It can take a long time for a very large directory.)

When you uninstalled and deleted stuff, chances are it ALL got archived in System Restore (in XP that lives in C:\System Volume Information, dunno where in later Windows), so that is why it made no immediate difference in space used. It will age out and disappear in about a month, or about 30 restore points, whichever comes first. (It'll make one per day if it can.)

Last edited:

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Questions I'm not sure I can answer. The one thing that I'm really good at is turning computers into perfect paperweights. :cry:I've turned four so far. Someone recommended that I go back to the stone tablet and chisel! :roll:(Yes, they were joking.)

My laptop is a Dell Inspirion B130. I had a copy of Microsoft Suite 2006 that I installed on it. It didn't have a ?????? spreadsheet, the thing for writing letters. (Suddenly I can't remember what it's called.)

Max disc space is 36.7 GB. I'm using 33.4GB.

Under the system properties is says Windows XP Home Edition 2002.

I can't find where the RAM is so I can't answer that.

I have absolutely no idea where the original disc is. FUDGECICLES!!!

My desktop is an HP and has Windows 7 Home Premium but I must be really dense because I've never been able to find the Microsoft Works and installed the one copy I have. I made the error of installing OpenOffice and it screwed up a lot of my Works files. It may be a free program but it sucks donkey dinkies!

I've done the disc clean-up, emptied the recycle bin, temp files, cookies, history. I've tried to defrag the system but the computer says that it needs 15% free space and I only have 9%. I've even gone into the downloads and deleted things that weren't needed.

It's the HP that I keep getting the error message on. The one thing I've noticed about it when I go to a "busy" website - facebook, pogo, military.com - sites that have a lot of moving things on it. That's when it will freeze and I get the script error.

Reziac - I haven't gotten any of those messages. Just the one that says the script has stopped responding and then all that other stuff.

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks so much!

Candy

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, try this.

Go into Firefox.

Open a new tab.

Type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the address box.

You'll see a long list of settings with a Search box at the top. Type "sahtb" in the Search box. Do any settings show up when you do that, or is the list blank?

Try this, too: From the Firefox menu, select Tools > Add-Ons, click "Extensions" on the left, and scan the list for anything related to "sahtb" or "KeyBar". If you find anything, click the "remove" button for that cell and restart Firefox.

To find out how much RAM is on an XP system, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". Look at the bottom right of the General tab on the dialogue box that pops up--the very last bit of text under "Computer:" should be the amount of RAM.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Questions I'm not sure I can answer. The one thing that I'm really good at is turning computers into perfect paperweights. :cry:I've turned four so far. Someone recommended that I go back to the stone tablet and chisel! :roll:(Yes, they were joking.)

Yep. I remember you from an earlier post. After you fix this problem, ask your husband to remove the delete button from your computer. :tongue

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, try this.

Go into Firefox.

Open a new tab.

Type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the address box.

You'll see a long list of settings with a Search box at the top. Type "sahtb" in the Search box. Do any settings show up when you do that, or is the list blank?

Try this, too: From the Firefox menu, select Tools > Add-Ons, click "Extensions" on the left, and scan the list for anything related to "sahtb" or "KeyBar". If you find anything, click the "remove" button for that cell and restart Firefox.

To find out how much RAM is on an XP system, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". Look at the bottom right of the General tab on the dialogue box that pops up--the very last bit of text under "Computer:" should be the amount of RAM.

Under the "about:config" there's about 17 things and they all have "extensions" in the beginning and then lines that are long. Some of the things I can recognize, some of them I have no idea what they are or where they come from.

I checked the "Tools" and "Extensions" but didn't see anything with "sahtb" or "KeyBar." I found out how to disable one of my toolbars, just wish I could figure out how to delete the dang thing. It's no where in the "programs."

Thanks again,
Candy

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what I did with y'all's help but I've been to several of the websites where I was getting the "sahtb" message and so far it hasn't popped up so I guess that problem has been resolved. I'll keep my fingers crossed but if it shows up I know the best people to come too. Y'all are totally awesome! :Hug2:

Now if I can figure out the hard drive memory problem. I just can't find where all the memory is being used.

Candy

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Here's a free tool to show folder (directory) size in Windows Explorer, that works in XP:

http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

I expect this add-on to Windows causes some slowdown when there are very large directories present, but ... see that column that's called "Folder Size" with all the big numbers under it? That's the one that's relevant to your problem of lost hard disk space.

BTW in simple terms, "memory" is your temporary workspace (like your messy desk), and "hard disk" is your file cabinet.

ETA: and here is a free tool for viewing Windows BSOD crashdump files:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
Note: if a driver newly misbehaves with NO other changes made to the system, it usually means the associated hardware is failing.

Last edited: