• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Arrgh! Writer block and how I deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunga Din

Banned
Reaction score
I think it was Holmes who said to Watson, "You see, Watson, but you do not observe."

Who ever said it, this became my personal key to dealing with writers block. Here's what I do. If it helps you, great.

I go out. I don't have to go out but I find a change of atmosphere helps. I take a note book or personal recorder with me. I find something I would normally see but not observe, say, like a daisy. I start to observe and write down (or record) every tiny detail about the thing. I look very closely at it. I note the tiny hairs on the stem (If it's a plant like the Daisy) and the shape, thickness and colour of the stem. The sap that oozes out of the bottom of the stem after picking. It's colour, smell, viscosity and so on. I do the same with the petals and every other part of the flower (or whatever it is). Slowly I build up a ton of notes about the object.

Then I look at the environment I found it in and begin making notes on that. Finally, I head home and put these notes with my other notes and THEN I sit down to write.

What this does is get my head into writing mode again and the notes will come in handy should I ever need to describe, in detail, a Daisy or crushed, discarded Coke can or whatever.

Works for me. Give it a shot, might work for you too.

Last edited:

s.cummings

exploring life - one word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
Huh, that is a fantastic idea. I would love to try it, and I just might when it's not so freaking cold around here :( :cry:

Gunga Din

Banned
Reaction score
Huh, that is a fantastic idea. I would love to try it, and I just might when it's not so freaking cold around here :( :cry:

:0) Well, you could wrap up warm and describe the frost or...,
You could open the food cupboard and describe what you see or...,
Just look out the window and describe what you see or...,
Light a fire.

s.cummings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
And more fantastic ideas...

I should hire you as my idea-thinker-upper

s.cummings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
haha, no it wasn't sarcasm. You have given me ideas, embarrassing that I couldn't think them up myself. It has got to be this wicked headache that is making me feel like chopping my own head off!

anastasia091

Registered
Reaction score
I really like your idea, Gunga Din! I would also like to add that I do something similar by recreating a natural environment when writing, using the very sophisticated tool of YouTube (i.e. scouring through the numerous 'nature-zen-sounds' videos out there). Music in general is a great help, especially when it's tuned in to the theme of whatever scene it is I'm having trouble writing. When writing battle/conflict scenes, I usually play the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack, and that naturally gets my creativity going. My 2 cents :)

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great idea. A break while still keeping sharp. I need to start doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.