Hugo Awards 2014

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
2014 Hugo Award nominations are open!

All attending or supporting members of Worldcon in 2013 (San Antonio), 2014 (London) or 2015 (Spokane) are eligible to nominate for the 2014 Hugo ballot for works published in 2013.

If you don't have a membership yet but want to nominate, you must buy your membership to LonCon 3 or Sasquan before the end of January 2014.

Authors around the net have been listing their eligible works on their own blogs and John Scalzi has a thread at Whatever where creators have listed their works.

The record for number of nomination ballots is 1343. It would be great if they got more than that this year! The more nominations the better the slate.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
*clears throat*

*prepares own trumpet*

Um, I'm in the Campbellian antho too (Along with Wes Chu - and Laura Lam, I think, who both post here sometimes - I'll be eligible this year, though I'm not yet on the official listy thing). Good thing they emailed me about it or I'd not have realised I was eligible!

*blushes*

*hides own trumpet*

*runs away*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Francis!

I have two Hugo-eligible things this year: the novelette Hotel in the Jan '13 Asimov's, and the short story Lanternfish in the Overworld in the anthology FISH from Dagan Books. More info (maybe?) about either in my Library thread.

There was so much incredibly good short SFF out there this year that I hardly imagine mine stands out, but that's what I've got.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yay you!

There was so much incredibly good short SFF out there this year that I hardly imagine mine stands out, but that's what I've got.

Well, exactly -- I doubt I've got as much chance as a baked bean winning the Grand National, but being in the free antho thingy might at least get me a few new readers!

It's especially exciting as I'll be at Loncon3 this year, so I even get to vote! No idea who to vote for! Can't remember my pin either.... must go see if I can find it.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Am I in the antho?

But yes, my first novel Pantomime is eligible for the Hugo and Nebulas, and I'm eligible for the Campbell.

Pantomime has so far also been nominated for the following:

2014 Cybils finalist - YA Speculative Fiction
2014 Catalyst longlist (decided by teens in North Lanarkshire)
2014 NE Teen Book Award Shortlist (decided by teens in NE England)
ALA 2014 Rainbow List nominee
ALA 2014 Popular Paperbacks nominee - GLBTQI

There's my horn blowing over!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Don't finish blowing your horn here! Scalzi's thread at Whatever is open to all creators who have eligible works. You can post there, too if you haven't already.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Am I in the antho?

But yes, my first novel Pantomime is eligible for the Hugo and Nebulas, and I'm eligible for the Campbell.

My bad -- I meant eligible (wasn't sure who is in antho or not)! This is what happens when you squee and type simultaneously :D

Also, impressive list! I can has jealous now?

Last edited:

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Ahh, just stumbled on this. Thanks Francis for starting the thread. Looking forward to seeing you at Loncon this year. We'll throw more peanuts.

The Lives of Tao and The Deaths of Tao are eligible for the Hugo, the Nebula, and the BSFA Award. I am also eligible for the John W. Campbell Award.

The Lives of Tao is a Goodreads Choice 2013 Finalist for Best Science Fiction.
The Deaths of Tao is Booklist and Shelf Awareness Starred.

Thanks everyone for your consideration.

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com

G. S. Jennsen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gsjennsen.com
As I am new to the publishing world, it came as a shock when I discovered (via Twitter and various blogs), that the Hugo nomination process is a massive competition to get noticed, a social media and self-promotion blitz that could involve such underhanded tactics as the pulling of hair and/or crotch kicks. :box:

I suppose I naively imagined the Lords of SFF sitting in their throne room high above the masses, passing their wise and sage judgment upon the written works of the year - and who knows, maybe that is how it goes once the nominees are chosen!

In all seriousness, I wish all of you who are eligible the best of luck. I'm sorry you're forced to do yet MORE marketing, but it probably is kind of exciting. Public Service Announcement: in addition to John Scalzi's massive eligibility thread (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/01/04/sff-authorseditorsartistsfans-2013-award-awareness-post/), Charles Stross has one as well (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2014/01/genre-award-awareness.html).

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
I just read that over the holidays - good stuff man! Kudos on getting into Analog too by the way, that's my dream market for some of my short stories.

Thanks - glad you enjoyed the story!

I've been published in Analog since 1995.

And here's what I think is a key ingredient in getting published: meeting and talking to the editor at a convention. I'd submitted at least half a dozen stories to Stan Schmidt (then and until recently editor at Analog), and all had been turned down (though some with encouraging rejection letters). I then met Stan at a convention, we had a good chat, I told him I would keep submitting stories and collecting his rejection letters. He smiled and said you never know. The very next story I sent in - "The Way of Flesh" - was accepted! Yeah, it was good story - I thought so - but was it just coincidence that it was accepted after that conversation?

The current editor is Trevor Quachri - great guy, friendly. If you see him at a Worldcon, definitely introduce yourself!

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com
Thanks - glad you enjoyed the story!

I've been published in Analog since 1995.

And here's what I think is a key ingredient in getting published: meeting and talking to the editor at a convention. I'd submitted at least half a dozen stories to Stan Schmidt (then and until recently editor at Analog), and all had been turned down (though some with encouraging rejection letters). I then met Stan at a convention, we had a good chat, I told him I would keep submitting stories and collecting his rejection letters. He smiled and said you never know. The very next story I sent in - "The Way of Flesh" - was accepted! Yeah, it was good story - I thought so - but was it just coincidence that it was accepted after that conversation?

The current editor is Trevor Quachri - great guy, friendly. If you see him at a Worldcon, definitely introduce yourself!

Since 1995? Nicely done! What other issues recently have you been in - I may have a few others.

Not surprised that meeting the editor helps a lot - one of my biggest thrills at a convention was getting to meet and greet the folks at Baen books, who are quite friendly and eager to give advice to a newcomer like me. I'll keep eyes out for Trevor!

PaulLev

Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Since 1995? Nicely done! What other issues recently have you been in - I may have a few others.

Not surprised that meeting the editor helps a lot - one of my biggest thrills at a convention was getting to meet and greet the folks at Baen books, who are quite friendly and eager to give advice to a newcomer like me. I'll keep eyes out for Trevor!

Here are my three most recent stories in Analog, prior to "Ian, George and George":

"Ian, Isaac, and John" (novelette) Analog, November 2011, pp. 75-85.

"Ian's Ions and Eons" (novelette), Analog, April 2011, pp. 40-51.

"Unburning Alexandria" (novelette), Analog, November 2008, pp. 116-133.

You might well enjoy those earlier Ian stories, to see where "George and George" came from. "Unburning Alexandria" is the novelette sequel to The Plot to Save Socrates novel. I since developed and published UA as a novel last year - see the 3rd and 4th novels below.

And, just for good measure, here's a link to "The Chronology Protection Case" - free on Wattpad. It was the second story I had published in Analog in 1995, has been reprinted five time since then, made into a radio play and a (very low budget) movie, and launched the exploits of Dr. Phil D'Amato, who went on to appear in The Silk Code, The Consciousness Plague, and The Pixel Eye, the first two of which are in the covers below.

PaulLev

Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
As I am new to the publishing world, it came as a shock when I discovered (via Twitter and various blogs), that the Hugo nomination process is a massive competition to get noticed, a social media and self-promotion blitz that could involve such underhanded tactics as the pulling of hair and/or crotch kicks. :box:

I suppose I naively imagined the Lords of SFF sitting in their throne room high above the masses, passing their wise and sage judgment upon the written works of the year - and who knows, maybe that is how it goes once the nominees are chosen!

G. S.: You're in effect talking about the trade-off between democracy and a Platonic oligarchy. The price we pay for not leaving decisions to the anointed wise - to letting the people make the decisions - is the need for crass promotion, including self-promotion. Personally, I don't actually find that crass - I don't mind self-promotion from others, it's sometimes helpful and invigorating - but there you have it.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Just a quickie

The Campbell Antho (detailing and/or excerpting the authors who are eligible) is now available, both free and DRM free! So you can sample a TON of new authors, and maybe find someone to nom if you weren't sure.

Did I mention it was free?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I also want to remind people that TOMORROW JANUARY 31, 2014 is the last day to purchase a membership to Loncon3 or Sasquan if you want to nominate for the Hugos in 2014.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the reminder, Ultragotha.

Also, welcome, PaulLev. I have read and enjoyed many of your things over the years, but had somehow missed the most recent Analog story. Will have to track that down. :)

PaulLev

Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Also, welcome, PaulLev. I have read and enjoyed many of your things over the years, but had somehow missed the most recent Analog story. Will have to track that down. :)

Thanks! Analog usually has recent back issues directly for sale. Details over here http://www.analogsf.com/information/faq.shtml

If you get a chance to read "Ian, George and George", enjoy!

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Hey folks,

As others have previously stated, it's the last day to sign up for Worldcon or get a supporting membership in order to nominate for the Hugos/Campbell. $40 isn't cheap but it's actually a very good value. You get a ton of ebooks of every nominee's eligible work.

Plus, support the writers/artists you feel deserving. Good luck to all.

Wes

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Nominations for the 2014 Hugo awards (for works published in 2013) are open until March 31, 2014. If you have a qualifying membership to a WorldCon, get your noms in soon!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
You have ONE MORE WEEK to submit Nominations for the 2014 Hugos (for works in 2013). There are a lot of good blog posts out there listing potential nominees.

If you possessed a supporting or attending membership in the 2013 (San Antonio), 2014 (London) or 2015 (Spokane) Worldcon before February 1, 2014, you are eligible to nominate. The more nominations, the better the slate!

http://loncon3.org/2014hugos.php

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The Hugo short list is being announced today at 8:30 pm British time.

You can follow @loncon3 on Twitter or see it live from Glasgow on UStream.

There were a record 1923 nominating ballots this year. Yeah nominators!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
1939 Retro Hugo Nominees

2014 Hugo Nominees

The Wheel of Time nomination may be controversial. The WSFS constitution (.pdf file) states:
3.2.6:
Works appearing in a series are eligible as individual works, but the series as a whole is not eligible. However, a work appearing in a number of parts shall be eligible for the year of the final part.

ETA: In poking around, I've found that evidently if none of the novels in a series have been nominated the whole series can be.

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
So, I wonder . . . will I find the entire Wheel of Time series in my voter packet?

(Also, hooboy at Vox Day being nominated. What a fun week for the blogosphere this will surely be.)