The SFF Writing Check-in Corner

footinmouth

Everybody wants to be a princess
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalangford.blogspot.com
I have a fantasy fairy tale first draft at 66000 words. I severely underwrite though, so I have probably at least another 15000 to add in, 5000 in dialogue tags! Cheers to editing in words!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Finished Emoxela, that turned out as a peculiar Sf and Fantasy hybrid. Just a touch of dystopia. About 1,740 words.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Finished the synopsis of the plot for a novella that's turning out to be Dark Urban Fantasy instead of true horror genre wise. Going to bang out the outline now. Should be pretty easy with the synopsis and all.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I've been replotting, preparing to outline (to see if this helps me more), and rereading my complete mess of a first draft.

That counts for something, right?

Luggnutts

Registered
Reaction score
New to the Forum, writing a fantasy about a digital world. Just hit 9000 words yesterday. I work on it when I can, but am finding it hard to just sit and type when I actually have the time.

Like now, I have been home for 4 hours and could have added to the parts I am working on.

MegOverman

Swords, Sorcerers, and Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.megoverman.com
I'm also new to the forum. My goal is 120k. I'm currently at 148k with a few chapters left to slide through my writing group.

I HOPE to finish that and start handing out copies to betas before this NaNovember. But we'll see. There's a lot of trimming and probably a bit of rearranging to do.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey new peoples! Welcome!

I hit the 49k mark today! My story is wrapping up. I might get as high as 55k at most, but with only 2 - 3 scenes left I dunno...

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Still wrote!

I passed the 50k mark with 1887 words today (I feel like that is an important year or something). Two scenes left to go! Maybe three if I count the epiloguey stuff .

tricksterpython

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently at one third of my in progress fantasy novel. It's at around 25k, but is missing a few scenes in there that I skipped over. I fully expect this draft to hit 90k when finished, which will be my longest rough draft to date!

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the second draft of my WIP fantasy novel today, clocking in just under 90k. This weekend I'll be sketching out a trio of related stories (don't yet know if it's three books, two novellas and a novel, or what) that I hope to start on sometime later this summer.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Hi guys! Another SFF writer here. :)

I just finished up the final edit of my SF MS (101k), started sending out queries this week. This is my fourth completed MS and hopefully will be the first one I get published. :)

While I'm waiting for good news on that front, I'm getting started on the outline for my next MS, a fantasy involving pantheons on various worlds.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly the way to do it, noranne: sent it out, start the next. :) Welcome to AW and SFF, and best of luck on your queries! :)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Not so much a writing check-in (I think I am in one of those writer crisis modes we all seem to get) but I did edit a bit last night. Only like 20 words, but it's a start.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Not so much a writing check-in (I think I am in one of those writer crisis modes we all seem to get) but I did edit a bit last night. Only like 20 words, but it's a start.

Getting started is the hardest part! Good luck with the edit and the crisis. :)

EffinGoose

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm 10k words into my own personal fantasy novel, plugging away at roughly 1-2 pages a day!

I am also fighting the urge to go back and change every paragraph until the first section is done. I am losing that battle. :p

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so been a while since I posted here.

First congrats on word counts and progress on stories!

Next keep going everyone!

Lastly update:
9 subs out - 1 short listed, 1- re-submitted as it was lost in the submission que, 1- queried today, 1- possible query in 3 days, the rest pending responses anywhere from 10 - 100 days.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Well, after a school-related hiatus I've come back to my WIP. Now that I've graduated (yay?) I have all the time between working part-time and hunting for a full-time job to get this thing done. I want to finish before my birthday in September, so I'm aiming for the end of August.

Mary Thornell

Registered
Reaction score
Hello - I currently have two WIPs.

My first is geared towards adult and combines fantasy with historical romance with a major time travel component. It is a novel that was originally inspired way back when I was in high school by an English assignment. I had taken said assignment and tried to reformulate it into a short story when a young man from the 18th century quite literally dropped in unexpectedly and began telling me his tale of woe. I havent been able to set it aside since, but it keeps growing because I keep asking questions of this young man. I have about 80% of it worked out in my head, had about 50% of it written in first draft when I lost my nerve/confidence/muse/discipline to see it through to the end. A large part of this is because I realized in the middle of writing out scenes where my two lovebirds were getting to know each other, I still had NO idea why the villain wanted to hurt them or do bad things. So I felt like I needed to go back to square one...and Ive not gotten much further than that since then. Im still in the dark about who my villain is and part of the reason why I wanted to come to AW is to see if I could get my head straight and perhaps find a beta/buddy to help hash things out.

In the middle of trying to sort all of THAT out, I had a lightening bolt for another story idea. As with the above inspiration, I wanted to start out with a short story, but one of my characters had more to tell me. I have since managed to confine what they told me to a semi-novella length tome, but I can feel the urge to turn it into a full fledged novel becoming stronger...and really this one could be a lot of lighthearted fun if I ran with it. Still its a genre that I am fairly unfamiliar with - paranormal romance/mystery - and so I feel like Im now spinning my wheels in research and plotting. Good thing about this one is I think I have a better sense of who the villain is and what he wants - villains always seem to be a problem for me - but its the plotting/set-up Im the most insecure about. As mentioned, I want to involve a murder mystery as a subplot to the overarching fantasy theme to this story, but Ive only read a smattering of mystery novels in my time and feel positively overwhelmed by the body of research needed to construct "the perfect crime" for my story.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Well, I finished editing a sci fi novel, which is about to go out on submission as soon as my CPs take a last glance over it. Now I just need to get up the energy to attack my fantasy manuscript, which needs as many edits as the other did. And it would be nice to start something new soon.