Difference between synopsis and book series overview

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I e-mailed a publisher with a question about submitting the first book in a series. The books are not stand alone and the HEA only happens at the end of the last book. She's asked me to send the book and a 1-2 page series overview. Of course, I am happy to do so, however, her e-mail says "don't send synopsis". I thought an overview was the same as a synopsis so now I'm not sure how to tackle this. I googled and got a list of synopsis help.

So… A bullet point list of characters and the main conflict and resolution in each book? A blurb-type exposition of the action in each instalment? Should I think of an overview as a synopsis with everything but the main thrust of each book, the characters and how these weave together to the climax at book 3 chopped off?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Not a professional at all, but I think she's asking for maybe a 1-3 sentence summary of each book. She might be curious about the pacing, IE, how it's going to take before these people say "I like you", then "I love you and will walk through fire for you", then "I no longer have eyebrows but they'll grow back by the time we're old and in rocking chairs".

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: (I've always wanted to use that emoticon. Thanks!)

She did say 1 - 2 page so I tend to think it's not a few sentences for each book since there are only three books. I'm thinking to maybe condense, condense and then condense my 3 synopses into exactly 1.5 pages. I'm anal like that.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I believe basically she wants to know what HAPPENS in each book but not all the little details. What happens in the characters lives and what changes by the end, that type of thing. And what story arc carries over and through the series.

I could be wrong but that's what I'm thinking...