Firefox pop-up issue (ad-blocker plus installed)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hi,

I'm on Firefox (windows 7) and I've had ad-blocker plus installed for a while now. Recently, every time I go on the likes of stock sites to search for photos, or the likes of Amazon, I keep getting one partiticular ad that attaches itself to the scroll bar on the right of the screen.

At first it comes with an arrow, then the ad will pop-up, filling the right hand side of the screen, and then I have to click the arrow to get the ad to reduce.

I've cleared cookies etc, ran a virus scan through Microsoft Security Essentials, but the ad keeps popping up.

It's not an issue here on AW, but it does pop up on other writing sites.

I was wondering if there's anything else I can do to remove it?

:)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And you've got the block pop-up box checked on Firefox as well?

You might also download and run MalwareBytes (just don't let it run constantly in the background once you install it; take it out of your startups if it puts it there).

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
:) Yes, I've just doubled checked that popups are blocked on Firefox too.

I'll try the MalwareBytes too.

When I go to copy and paste (as I did with your MalwareBytes tag up there, a little pop-up toolbar appeared too: linking to youtube, facebook etc. Hmmmm.

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
I use adblock plus 2.5.1 and adblock plus pop up addon and never had such problem. I had problems with adblock plus alone.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Is this Text Enhance? It really does sound like malware or adware of some kind.

I'd check your Firefox extensions. It might be something got quietly installed when you installed something else?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got the same setup (Windows 7, Firefox, Adblock Plus) and I don't have the problem.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Several new pieces of malware and programs for Firefox are making the rounds. Go to the wrong website, or install the wrong program, and you have them.

In Firefox, when no other easy solution is around, go to Help, then Troubleshooting, and click on "reset Firefox to its default state." This usually works.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
*Not what I was thinking* But I've also done MalwareBytes and double checked through everything to make see things are ticked that should be.

*Breathes a sigh of relief*

Thank you for all of your help!!!! :)

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Nope, I though this was sorted but it's slightly worse this morning.

You know just before you login there'll be certain words underlined that have links attached to them? I'm getting that when I'm logged on.

Words like 'easy-solution' in Jamesritchie's post is blue and underlined, and an ad pops up if I hover over it.

I know it's something my end, but with the checks I've done, I can't pinpoint exactly what's causing it. I can do a system restore, but that's usually a last option.

Even restoring the default setting to Firefox hasn't cleared those blue underlined links up.

*'nother edit* Okay, I think it's cleared. I just had to restore default Firefox, re-ad the ad blocker plus ad-ons. Restart the computer, clear cookies again, delete the old links to AW etc, and generally refresh everything before signing back in. *Crosses fingers* hopefully it's worked. I'm seeing no blue lines under certain words, and no ads are are popping up on highlight.

Ps, I HATE technology (although if I'd had the sense to think it through logically in the first place...) :)

Sorry for the rambles!

Last edited:

MatthewDBrammer

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but I've had issues with helper programs and extensions in the last week, including one called ScorpionSaver, which do a lot of similar advertising ploys and such. Might want to look into that. They also like to hijack search engine results and default webpage settings. 'Twas a b**** to clear out, and wasn't detected by several AV programs.

I was more frustrated with myself than anything, because I'm certainly not new to the game and usually keep very good track of download sources and such. Plus, with how much of a pain they were to remove, I feel sorry for anyone not tech-savvy who ends up having to deal with it.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Turns out it was indeed TextEnhance - but yes, it seems the sort of thing that hides in your browser extensions sometimes won't trip malware scanners, I guess because you've had to give permission for them to install.

MatthewDBrammer

Registered
Reaction score
Yea, that's why I was rather mad at myself; couldn't for the life of me remember what I had done or why I would do such a thing. At the time I was doing a lot of updating to my engineering programs and such, so it must have gotten snuck in one of the d/ls then and I didn't pay much attention at the time, so I just granted it permission with the other 5353532 things I was doing at the time.. Grrr. Lol. They're getting crafty with that stuff.