Does anyone else's computer slow down when commenting on AW?

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's the late hour, but my computer slows way down the second I sign into AW. If I'm lurking, everything's fine. As soon as I try to comment...things...get...slow. And if I have multiple windows open, other sites are equally slow. I'm running Windows/Firefox late on the US east coast.

Have I run into some internet Bermuda Triangle, or has my computer been stepping out on me and picking up nasty viruses? Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: This has happened the last two times I've logged onto AW—never before, and never at any other site.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm running Firefox on either XP or Windows 7, depending on desktop or laptop, and not experiencing any slowdowns. It's possible something in the ads up top is eating into your bandwidth. Do you have AdBlock? I routinely block any ads running except for books by AWers.

Maryn, no idea if that's a factor

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
I find problems with AW "long running script" and it won't react to the back space button anymore. Mostly I think this is down (somehow) to a Microsoft "upgrade" that I haven't been able to track down and fix.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Only if I use the latest version of Internet Explorer. It works fine with Firefox.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I took Maryn's advice and installed AdBlock for Firefox. That seems to have done the trick. This Luddite appreciates the help!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Us Luddites have to stick together.

Although we're not as bad as some. My writing and critique group at one time included a woman who didn't know word processing could copy and paste, or move text. She retyped every draft of her novel, including the parts she wasn't changing.

Maryn, feeling comparatively tech-savvy

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Not a systemwide slowdown, but when I click Submit after writing a comment, AW often takes several MINUTES to respond. Sometimes my reply has already posted (if I reload the original page in another window, it's already there), sometimes not. I use several forum sites running this same software and AW is the only one that consistently has this issue. City-Data used to, but it went away with some upgrade of a few years back. (I have ads pretty much blocked other than banners that originate from AW -- they are rarely an issue, tho lately one of them has occasionally failed to load.)

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
I encountered a significant slow-down yesterday evening, so much that I hit the interrupt went surfing elsewhere. It's okay now, so maybe it was a heavy traffic thing, loading down AW's servers.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
AW appears to be hosted with GoDaddy, who you'd think would be big enough to handle a full-scale slashdotting, never mind the level of traffic AW gets -- which isn't a lot as these things go -- a really big site might handle hundreds of thousands of users at a time (and over 10 million pageviews per day), while AW might have a couple thousand users at a time.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I hit a little spate of slow-downs on AW recently, but it seems to have straightened itself out.