Looking for a book like Battlestar Galactica

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So recently I finished watching the TV show Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined one). I know, late to the game. It's probably my favorite TV show of all time. I loves it! It's got everything I likes in a story: action, spaceships, aliens (Cylons are sort of like aliens), war, philosophy, religion, politics, science, mystery, romance. I can't stop thinking about it and I have massive BSG withdrawal. I feel like that one Portlandia episode where the fans hunt down BSG's creator/writer to make him write more episodes.

Desperate to get my fix, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a book that's like BSG?

Thanks.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I think you're looking for "space opera" - large-scale stories told over interstellar differences, often on the light- or sci-fantasy end of the sci-fi scale. Star Wars is probably the most famous example, though there are many others - most of them entirely midichlorian-free.

I've never read it (first one's in my to-be-read pile), but Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is supposed to have most of the qualities you mention; some people think George Lucas ripped it off in making his series.

(I never watched the new BSG, though I have dim memories of the original... the one nobody claimed to watch, yet everyone seemed to rip off.)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. Action, spaceships, aliens (sort of), war, philosophy, politics, science, mystery, romance. :)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have no suggestions; I just want to squee with you. :)

I remember seeing an image of Starbuck, grinning that light-up-the-room goofy grin of hers, on the internet. A fan had added two captions to the picture. The caption at the top said, "I still miss her." and the one at the bottom said, "Like, every day."

And I just thought to myself, "Yup." It wasn't a note-perfect show, but those characters were alive.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I have a deep and abiding love for Battlestar Galactica. Amazing show.

LAgrunion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no suggestions; I just want to squee with you. :)

I remember seeing an image of Starbuck, grinning that light-up-the-room goofy grin of hers, on the internet. A fan had added two captions to the picture. The caption at the top said, "I still miss her." and the one at the bottom said, "Like, every day."

And I just thought to myself, "Yup." It wasn't a note-perfect show, but those characters were alive.

I have a deep and abiding love for Battlestar Galactica. Amazing show.

*BSG Spoiler Alert*

Yes, yes, I love many of the characters too! So much that I watched the new show "Killer Women" (now canceled) just to see Caprica Six and Anders. And before I wasn't a big fan of the show "Hawaii Five-O," but now I like to catch it just to see Sharon/Boomer. And all three of them haven't aged since BSG. How can that be? They must be Cylons in real life. I too miss them all, like, everyday.

I need to do that procedure in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" so I can erase my memory of BSG and watch it all over again.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the Vorkosigan saga is worth looking into. For something that's a bit more near-future, you might check out James S.A. Corey's Expanse series. It doesn't have quite all the elements, but it's action-packed with spaceships and some cool stuff going on. I also think the characters are pretty well-drawn.

LAgrunion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for everybody's input.

It sounds like the Vorkosigan Saga is a popular one. I was looking into it and realized there are many works. Which do I start with?

1) Go with internal chronology? Wikipedia lists ""Dreamweaver’s Dilemma" as the first story.

2) The most representative work (to help me decide whether to read further)?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'd start with the first of the Miles books, The Warrior's Apprentice. There are two prequels following his parents, but the style isn't quite the same, and some one-shot short stories that are chronologically early. But the Miles books are the core of the series and The Warrior's Apprentice is the first.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
The Honor Harrington series by David Weber might fit the bill as well. :)

p.s. -- A couple of the Honor books are available in the Baen Free Library if you want to see if you like them!

Last edited:

V.W.Singer

Purveyor of naughtiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vwsinger.com
The "Last Legion" series by Chris Bunch

"Space Viking" by H Beam Piper

The "Sten" series by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch

Roger Macbride Allen - "Torch Of Honor"

Not strictly space opera, but you might enjoy the original "Battletech" novels.

The "Warhammer 40,000" novels might interest you although they are more harsh and not very romantic.

Randy Lee

knew the job was dangerous
Registered
Reaction score
Pick up any "Berserker" book by Fred Saberhagen.

You may also like the Space Odyssey books by Arthur C. Clarke or the Rama books by the same author.

Charles Sheffield wrote some good ones too.

I really enjoyed Robert A. Heinlein, and Isaac Asimov.

I didn't really enjoy the one book I read in the Vorkosigan saga, but if you find a space opera you don't like you can always find others. The old Battlestar Galactica was boring to me and I stopped watching the new one when a Cylon murdered a baby (that's kind of like one of my biggest turn-offs), so tastes do vary.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You might also look up various authors of military science fiction. There will be some shared themes there.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I love CJ Cherryh's Merchanter-Alliance?Chanur universe stuff. Lots of intrigue and conflict between humans and aliens. Scalzi has written some stuff that has that sort of vibe too. Lois McMaster Bujold has written a lot of SF as well. I liked David Brin's Uplift universe stories too.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Religion, philosophy, politics, AI's, spacetravel, everything you like.

B.t.w, I thouroughly enjoyed BSG, aswell

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Having only cursory knowledge of BSG, I will still recommend the Expanse series by James SA Corey. Starts with Leviathan Wakes. Love it.

Not too distant future space opera-ish. STL transport, Sol system colonies and factions, plots, mysterious alien tech, power armor marines, etc, etc.

lurky

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons and the Expanse by Corey. And how about Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.
If you really loved the re-imagined series, try the original. I remember it had its highs and lows, I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so it might not have held up well.

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The original Buck Rodgers novel is pretty interesting and nothing like the tv series (which is awesome in its own way). A nice fairly short read.

Ergodic Mage

Neophyte Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions already, I will add Ian Douglas's Star Carrier series to the list.

If you don't mind fan fiction then you could check out Battlestar Prometheus at http://bsp.bsg01.com/. I won't claim it's anything great, but I found it worthwhile to read as a BSG fan.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I love CJ Cherryh's Merchanter-Alliance?Chanur universe stuff. Lots of intrigue and conflict between humans and aliens. Scalzi has written some stuff that has that sort of vibe too. Lois McMaster Bujold has written a lot of SF as well. I liked David Brin's Uplift universe stories too.

Ditto CJ Cherryh and Brin. Good stuff.

Thanks for everybody's input.

It sounds like the Vorkosigan Saga is a popular one. I was looking into it and realized there are many works. Which do I start with?

1) Go with internal chronology? Wikipedia lists ""Dreamweaver’s Dilemma" as the first story.

2) The most representative work (to help me decide whether to read further)?

I'd not start with Dreamweaver's Dilema. For what you want, I'd recommend Warrior's Apprentice, then keep reading in internal Chronological order. Swing back to pick up Shards of Honor and Barrayar and the others after you're hooked.