• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

First person exposition barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I usually write in third person, and my exposition is limited to the absolutely necessary, but not so long ago a character hopped into my head with a first person narrative and, well, she does an awful lot of exposition. Wherever there might have been a quiet moment or a transition she starts on the exposition.

Suddenly, the scent of sausages hit my nose. Jolly must have heard my sluggishness hitting the floor and started breakfast. Lovely. Food.
Counter-spells. They don’t break whatever spell you’re setting them against, they don’t negate its effect, they just... stop it. There are two ways, basically, to counter any sort of spell, one: do the opposite to an equal extent. Two: cast a counter-spell.

She's also prone to rambling and going off course, as well as weird metaphors (she's a magical healing slug girl, apparently), but that's just her voice. The exposition is kind of weird, though, as she has about ten times the exposition in half the space as some of my third person stories.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations...you greated a chatter box.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to tell you. I write a lot of first person, which means I have to stay true to character, but I still control what the character says, when he or she says it, and how much they ramble on. I still control the characters, the story, and all else.

Everything in a first person story is essentially dialogue, but I treat the narrative as if it's just narrative, the same as in third person limited. The character still doesn't get to say anything, even in narrative, that isn't story, that doesn't matter.

That said, if a overly chatty, ramble on POV character works, if the story doesn't get lost in the midst of the chattyness, then use it. Some of my characters are more talky than others, and while I control what every character says, this control is always tempered with making every character an individual.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Reli, let her spew. Just write it all down...just let it all pile-up. Later you can go through and edit it (gently) down to a somewhat more manageable mess.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
She's also prone to rambling and going off course, as well as weird metaphors (she's a magical healing slug girl, apparently), but that's just her voice. The exposition is kind of weird, though, as she has about ten times the exposition in half the space as some of my third person stories.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Totally. In a short story I finished recently, the first person narrator has a tendency to go off on tangents. Or at least, they seem to be tangents. All but one of them actually gets a call back later. I was trying to have fun and challenge my own ability to weave in things like that. So for the first half of the story the reader is hopefully amused by the narrator's tendency let his mind wander, and then all of those turn out to be Chekhov's Gags that ratchet up the tension during the second half.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it strange and amazing how your characters just do what they want? I have characters that will ramble on for hours and characters with very little going on. I have characters that will randomly have a better vocabulary than me, sometimes even coming up with words I have to stop and look up. It really weirds me out. I guess I must know the words deep down somehow. Either that or the characters are real and controlling me from some alternate universe, lol.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it strange and amazing how your characters just do what they want? I have characters that will ramble on for hours and characters with very little going on. I have characters that will randomly have a better vocabulary than me, sometimes even coming up with words I have to stop and look up. It really weirds me out. I guess I must know the words deep down somehow. Either that or the characters are real and controlling me from some alternate universe, lol.

I don't think about characters that way. For me, they're just creations, and they do exactly what I make them do, say exactly what I want them to say, when I want them to do it, and when I want them to say it.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I fall in the middle. I've never quite understood the "the character does what it wants and I can't control it" idea, but I see it enough that I'm sure it must be the way the process works for some people.

But I will sometimes find as I'm writing that the voice of a character subtly changes over the course of the story from what I initially thought would be right for the story into something that more authentically fits their personality and the narrative because things changed, ideas on plot happened, etc. So then I usually go back and rework the earlier bits to match the later, better voice.

Anyhow. I agree with Neegh. Write it all out, then see what you think, and see what betas think, and if it's a problem, you can see about fixing it. but you won't know until it all exists in context :)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, JAR. One of the perks of writing is that godlike power. Everybody else does as they damn well please, but my characters, to them I am a goddess. :D

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
When you have a chatty character, let her be that way.... except don't let the character ramble on in the middle of physical action. Eg. don't let the character go into a disseration on weapons during a fight. That's for afterward, when you're reflecting on how you got beat.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I like all these varied responses, how there seems to be two sorts is especially interesting. :D I have to say, though, that those of you who say you're in full control of your characters' actions... I don't know, obviously, but it seems a little inorganic to me. I've probably read and loved some work written like that, but a part of me just can't imagine marionettes like that feeling alive.

I didn't really think of it as a problem, I was just wondering if anyone else found that they exposited a lot more when writing first person when compared to third. I'll probably have to chop some of it off in the edits, but I like her voice and I like knowing that my audience won't be scratching their heads bloody for once. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.