Anyone in Search and Rescue in the Austin/Red Rock Area?

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, glad they're okay...

Now they'll have to survive their worried parents. My mother would probably have murdered me out of loving anxiety...

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Oh Monkey, what an awful ordeal for your family - I'm so glad they were found and I hope they're okay.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am so relieved for you and your family, Monkey! I saw this thread shortly after you posted and was too bleary to say anything focused then, but you've been on my mind.

I bet the boys and dogs were all hunkered together keeping warm. I do hope there were no injuries!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monkey, I just saw this, I'm so glad they were found!!!!!!!!!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
They were all four found. Got them back from their medical evaluations and all about 6 am. They'really in good condition and it's all okay now. They were missing about 10 hours, all told, in the rain in near-freezing temperatures. Just so glad they're okay.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Just out of a writer's curiosity, how did you handle the reunion? Big squeezy hug? Tears? Mild scolding? A strong avuncular hand on the shoulder and a choked up grin? As an aunt I couldn't hold back the tears and a hug, maybe a small scolding-- No doubt embarrassing the hell out of the poor kid. My nephews are all grown up, though.--s6

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monkey, I'm glad they found them and they are ok. Do something kind for yourself today. You have gone through the wringer.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Shakey -

My brother and his family used to live on the same ranch as I do, but they recently moved about 3 hours away to Red Rock. My mom and I had talked about going out there together, but she ended up freaking out and leaving without me, and then my brother said they weren't allowing civilians in the woods at all. It was my plan to arrive there by early morning, when they'd maybe let us into the woods, if the boys hadn't been found by then. I had just decided to get in a quick nap and prepare for the long drive when we got the news they'd been found. So... I don't know how the reunion went, exactly.

What I do know - although the details are sketchy at this point - is that my nephew is being looked at as somewhat of a hero in all this. Mom says that he had been carrying an old, messed up cellphone, just because he liked to carry it and it still had some aps that worked. It no longer functioned as a phone, but apparently it still dialed 9-1-1. They weren't able to trace it, but apparently he was able to give them enough information to help the rescuers find himself and the other boys. I'm still sketchy on this part of the story, but that's the word from mom. I'm guessing he didn't use the phone earlier on because he assumed if it wouldn't work as a phone, it wouldn't work for a 9-1-1 call.

Apparently, the boys had gotten lost in the woods for a while, then found a road. They went the wrong way down the road, and ended up leaving that road again on the opposite side. So they were in an area the search crews weren't really looking at as hard.

As I said - still kind of sketchy. So far, no real updates this morning. I think everyone is sleeping it off.

ETA: An update just came. His mother says a news crew has called and wants to interview my nephew.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! Backtracking on a road and then cutting into the woods was how the bloodhounds lost our trail. I bet the same thing happened with the boys. Smiles again that they are fine!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
What a relief and what a sharp kid and mature. So many kids would not share a shirt. My 9 year old g-daughter carries a defunct cell phone. Her mom said it could call 911 in a pinch. I thought that was an urban legend. Good to know it's not---s6

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this. What a harrowing adventure for the lads and far too much anxiety of the grown-ups. Happy ending though, so all's well. Very relieved to hear that they're safe and well. Treat yourself today is good advice, Monkey.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone's safe, Monkey.

My 9 year old g-daughter carries a defunct cell phone. Her mom said it could call 911 in a pinch. I thought that was an urban legend. Good to know it's not---s6

If a cell phone is charged and has a signal, it should call 911.

That does help some, because with every moment that passes, I'm just thinking why the hell haven't they found them yet?

It can take a very long time to search a comparatively small area, especially at night and with difficult terrain. I once helped search for a little kid who'd gotten away from her parents in a public park (largely forest.) A police K9 found her after we had searched less than half of the area and it still took several hours. It's hell for the family, but it's better to be thorough than fast and sloppy and miss something.