Who writes contemporary/literary well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlyeKnight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a quarter of the way through Ape House right now. Maybe it's because the writing style is out of my usual comfort zone, but it's a lot drier than Water for Elephants. Also, the characters seem more like types than fleshed-out people. She's a good writer, so I'm going to trust that it gets better.

I think too, if you write something as magical as Water for Elephants, it's hard to follow up in subsequent works.

R.S. Dean

Not as crazy as she seems
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a quarter of the way through Ape House right now. Maybe it's because the writing style is out of my usual comfort zone, but it's a lot drier than Water for Elephants. Also, the characters seem more like types than fleshed-out people. She's a good writer, so I'm going to trust that it gets better.

I think too, if you write something as magical as Water for Elephants, it's hard to follow up in subsequent works.

I'll have to download an excerpt. I agree with you about Water for Elephants being a tough act to follow. What's interesting is that Gruen said she drafted it during NaNoWriMo. She must work well under a deadline.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Basing my opinion on his novella The Barracks Thief and a handful of short stories, I'll say Tobias Wolff. Pret-ty darn good, I think.

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
Barbara Kingsolver. The Lacuna is so good it makes my head hurt.
MJ HyLand, particularly 'This is How'
Sonya Hartnett. She writes a lot of YA that ends up in general fiction just because she's such a crossover writer. Love her. Although she kind of scares me.
Definitely Lorrie Moore. For her short stories and for 'A Gate at the Stairs'. Also talking short stories, ZZ Packer.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Any Alan Hollinghurst fans about? I loved The Spell especially. Gorgeous contemporary conflict, usually with lots of boy/man sex. It's like literary m/m [adjusts collar]

I love Brett Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk but can only read them in small doses. Their individual, abrasive styles are fascinating to me.

schamber

Dumas. Alexandre Dumas.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Donna Tartt. Great example of a literary writer who managed to crossover to mainstream.

And if you're into campus novels, C.P. Snow writes some of the best. See also Francine Prose's Blue Angel.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Any Alan Hollinghurst fans about? I loved The Spell especially. Gorgeous contemporary conflict, usually with lots of boy/man sex. It's like literary m/m [adjusts collar]

I love Brett Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk but can only read them in small doses. Their individual, abrasive styles are fascinating to me.

In Glamorama, the plane crash scene. Genius.

ETA: I am a fan of Shirley Hazzard - The Transit of Venus. My copy of the book is falling apart, I need to order another copy. Not an easy read though.

Last edited:

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read Jhumpa Lahiri? I like her style - deceptively simple.

The Namesake, Unaccustomed Earth, Interpreter of Maladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.