• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm concerned that I'm not descriptive enough.

I know the feeling. I struggle with the balance.

So, this YA contemp I keep prattling on about is rather freeing. I'm writing in notepad with word wrap off. I have no idea how far I am. No idea what the word count is. I just write and then stop. Then pick it up again.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I wrote words! 1580 of them!:snoopy:

I know that's not much compared to what some of you do on a daily basis, but for me it's a major accomplishment!:D

ash.y

Absurd and Obscure
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bearandblackdog.com
This scene is turning into chop suey. Three hours and I've revised/rewritten only 10ish pages. Blargh!

ETA: Scratch that. FIVE. FIVE PAGES. The part of my brain devoted to numbers has shriveled and been absorbed into the editthiscrappus.

Last edited:

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Have had awful troubles with motivation to continue the WIP.

So I just started to write a scene with no idea where it would go.

Wouldn't you know, I just found out six impossible things before breakfast, and the story is going again.

I really am a pantser.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the fantasy/sci-fi story swap. :) I just finished my story and I'm really pleased with it. At the time I left it with an unsatisfying ending, but in some weird awful way it needs to end right there. If I added more the story would become something completely different.

Finding the right place to end can be just as challenging as finding the right place to start.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Did a little bit of writing today.

And sent out four queries!

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Now I've started revisions on Watersong. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. These first couple of chapters are better than I remembered.

shs22

Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to stop mixing up "waste" and "waist". Earlier I wrote a line about a character grabbing another by her waste and it summoned a terrible mental image.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I can't seem to stop mixing up "waste" and "waist". Earlier I wrote a line about a character grabbing another by her waste and it summoned a terrible mental image.
*snorts water out nose* :ROFL:

Yes, I can see how that would be a problem!:tongue Oh dear, oh dear...

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score

Now I have that image in my head...

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sometimes gets weirdly frustrated with the limitations of writing normal prose stories?

Every time I write or try to write anything involving magic (which is the vast majority of the time) I have to actively fight the urge to include over-the-top magic battles. I'm a big anime fan and I love the ludicrously OTT fight scenes those have and would love to include something like it, but I just can't but feel like to do so in a novel would be a hurdle I just can't cross.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sometimes gets weirdly frustrated with the limitations of writing normal prose stories?

Every time I write or try to write anything involving magic (which is the vast majority of the time) I have to actively fight the urge to include over-the-top magic battles. I'm a big anime fan and I love the ludicrously OTT fight scenes those have and would love to include something like it, but I just can't but feel like to do so in a novel would be a hurdle I just can't cross.

It can be done. I have four authors I'll recommend (if you haven't read them already.

Read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and Stormlight Archive. They both have some pretty wild magical battles.

Read Brent Weeks's Lightbringer series. The magic gets pretty crazy here.

I also recall some pretty powerful magical battles in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, especially later on in the series.

The same goes for Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress series. I believe the author actually mentioned somewhere that she got a lot of influence from anime.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Every time I write or try to write anything involving magic (which is the vast majority of the time) I have to actively fight the urge to include over-the-top magic battles.

Back in the Olden Days, big over-the-top magical battles were more the rule than the exception. Even if they weren't literally huge, they often felt huge... which was part of their magic. So write what your story needs and don't worry about it. If the story develops properly up to the battle, the battle will fit.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Resurrecting my YA. Had to read it over to reacquaint myself.

...And it sucks. And now I'm also wondering if I should switch it to past tense. When I started out it was in past, but my brain kept switching it to present tense, so I switched. But now that I've re-read it, it feels stilted.

Decisions, decisions...

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Today, every time I sat down to write it's like the rest of humanity had heat seeking missiles and had to intercept me. They don't understand what "I'm writing" means. :(

I'm really considering telling everyone I'm sick tomorrow. I'll be in my room. Don't bother me FOR ANYTHING.

Has anyone else ever used that excuse?

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Today, every time I sat down to write it's like the rest of humanity had heat seeking missiles and had to intercept me. They don't understand what "I'm writing" means. :(

I'm really considering telling everyone I'm sick tomorrow. I'll be in my room. Don't bother me FOR ANYTHING.

Has anyone else ever used that excuse?

I should try that on my three year old. I'm sure she'd totes understand.
http://absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm in one of those existential writing crises. I'm trying to decide if my epic fantasies are really what I should be writing. There's so much more out there.

Maybe I'll start reading some other stuff to see what else I might like. I feel like I'm getting into a rut with my reading and my writing.

I'm also trying to decide if now is the best time to go full-out for my writing career. I'm going to be returning to school in the fall (and working). Between the two, I doubt I'll have much writing time (or energy for that matter).

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I've just realised that if evolutionary biologists are correct about the reason why we evolved vertical foreheads, and you factor in the idea of hybrid vigour, the female neanderthals in my story would find the main character (who's half neanderthal half Homo sapiens) very sexually attractive. After being totally ignored by all the Homo sapiens women in his tribe, this might come as a bit of a surprise to him.

Shame I suck at writing sex scenes.