One Stupid Tweet - (Was “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!”)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any ulterior motive. And really, I don't care too much about who it annoys if I choose to call myself a feminist.

Well I did say "usually" and "in my experience." No disrespect intended to anyone here. I'm sure there are exceptions. :)

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind men using the term that way at all. The more people who are adamant about women getting equal clout in this world, the better.

But I do expect that when I meet a man he'll think of women as equal. They have a blank slate to start with and can prove themselves sexist through their own individual actions and words, not any stereotype of men. It's all the stereotyping of large groups of people that caused the -isms in the first place, imho, and it really bothers me.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Here's still yet another person (the author of an article that uses the original "Star Trek" series to deride "the SJW Glittery hoo ha crowd" as batch of unscientific liberal arts majors out to destroy what makes our country great) using "Social Justice Warrior" as purely a description and pejorative of other people.

David Gerrold responds.

Um, no, he says,
[the author] uses Star Trek to justify his own beliefs while overlooking the much more important fact that Star Trek, The Original Series wasn't about the engineering as much as it was about the "Social Justice Warriors Glittery hoo ha" stuff.

I was there. I know what Gene Roddenberry envisioned. He went on at length about it in almost every meeting. He wasn't about technology, he was about envisioning a world that works for everyone, with no one and nothing left out. Gene Roddenberry was one of the great Social Justice Warriors. You don't get to claim him or his show as a shield of virtue for a cause he would have disdained.

Most of the stories we wrote were about social justice. ...