• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you see things or hear things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
It's normal, as much as anything connected with writing can be normal, to hear the characters' voices.

However, I would caution you against picturing yourself as the MC, unless you're writing an autobiography. Strictly speaking, there's nothing wrong with picturing yourself as the MC, but the danger is, if you write your MC as yourself, she's going to end up being an Mary Sue (or Marty Stu, if you're a guy). She really needs her own personality, her own likes and dislikes, her own appearance, her own everything. She can't be you in disguise, because readers can tell if your novel is nothing but a wish fulfillment fantasy.

But yeah, hearing your characters' voices in your head as you write is generally normal. It's only if you hear them when you're not writing that you should start to worry. . . . ;)

The bolded is likely to draw some ire, I think.
It's only really a problem if you lack the mindfulness to keep your own negatives and positives in balance. There's a natural tendency to exaggerate one's positive traits, and try to erase the negative ones, which is why it's so easy for self insertion to slide on down to Sue town.

It's totally possible to avoid that, though.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The bolded is likely to draw some ire, I think.
It's only really a problem if you lack the mindfulness to keep your own negatives and positives in balance. There's a natural tendency to exaggerate one's positive traits, and try to erase the negative ones, which is why it's so easy for self insertion to slide on down to Sue town.

It's totally possible to avoid that, though.

I agree. That's why I said it was a risk. If you know what you're doing, you can avoid it, but the problem is, too many don't know what they're doing and end up writing Mary Sues. Once you know it's a risk, though, you can avoid doing it.

iamvaliance

Crying my way through college
Registered
Reaction score
It's normal, as much as anything connected with writing can be normal, to hear the characters' voices.

However, I would caution you against picturing yourself as the MC, unless you're writing an autobiography. Strictly speaking, there's nothing wrong with picturing yourself as the MC, but the danger is, if you write your MC as yourself, she's going to end up being an Mary Sue (or Marty Stu, if you're a guy). She really needs her own personality, her own likes and dislikes, her own appearance, her own everything. She can't be you in disguise, because readers can tell if your novel is nothing but a wish fulfillment fantasy.

But yeah, hearing your characters' voices in your head as you write is generally normal. It's only if you hear them when you're not writing that you should start to worry. . . . ;)

Oh, yeah I didn't mean that I actually create an MC after myself or anything. I meant that when I read any book, I typically see myself as the MC--especially if the book has a first person POV. I didn't quite explain what I had meant! It's just that my first novel was in first person and although I am definitely not my MC, I tend to picture myself as them since the story follows them around. :)

When I write characters, they are all unique with their own habits, personalities, appearances, etc! Sorry for the confusion!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah I didn't mean that I actually create an MC after myself or anything. I meant that when I read any book, I typically see myself as the MC--especially if the book has a first person POV.

Ah, okay. I've heard other people say the same thing, that they envision themselves as the MC while reading. I've never done that, though. I "see" the story as if I'm watching a movie, so however the MC is described, that's what I see. If something about them reminds me of a famous film star, I might picture that person, instead. But I've never pictured myself as the MC. No idea why!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I see and hear the images very clearly in my head. But I'm a very visual person. My problem is translating those into words. Haha, I know... What am I doing here, right? I also have trouble capturing the emotions. That is my biggest weakness.

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
I hear characters chatting away, but it's more of a narrative than it is a dialogue. I hear them describing things to me. I don't visualize it myself (not that I haven't tried) except for those strange incidents that others have mentioned about vivid dreams.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I see and hear. I know what all my characters look like before I start writing, so when I do write their image is there. Action scene, I can watch it like a movie scene. I hear my characters too. A couple I can tell you exactly what they sound like. Like if I'm thinking about dialogue, I hear each one's personal voice doing their part, not mine. But honestly, I do most of the visual thinking and listening away from the keyboard, once I start a writing session I don't spend too much time in my head, I just let it all come out. Editing, like I'm doing now, is a little different. I'm taking my time, listening and watching everything extra close, so I can make it as personal as I can.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm a visual person - I see the whole scenes but it's more like movie episodes. What is interesting, I often play dialogues in my head and I see clearly how these dialogues develop. But I don't hear them, nothing about voices or sounds.

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Sometimes I "hear" things after imagining the visuals. Music can be good for getting visuals going like movie scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.