• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Present tense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of a single novel I've enjoyed that has been written in present tense, but my WIP is aggressively presenting itself to me that way. What are your feelings on reading present tense narration? I'm torn - I'm fighting it because it's not generally my preference as a reader, but part of me wants to embrace it and just see where it goes.

Also, the narration will be switching perspective between three characters. Can I change tense within that? What are your feelings on multiple first-person perspectives? Can I have one character narrate in first person but the other two in third?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told frequently that present tense is obnoxious and doesn't sell. And yet, my short story sales have been 2:1 present:past. (And my agent is repping a novel in present tense as well as one in past.) So, just because individual readers don't like it, doesn't mean it can't be done. It's always what is right for the book.

First person POV is a different kind of challenge, especially when you have multiple narrators. I, personally, would find it weird to have one of the 1st POV narrators in present and the others in past. I would not find it as weird if the others were 3rd past. (I'm not certain exactly why, but that's just me.) But if you can keep the voices distinct it should be fine. The only real problem is when you can't tell which character is which based on their narrative voice.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the Matched trilogy, and those are present tense. The third book switches between 3 POVs, I believe all 3 are 1st. Personally, I prefer multiple POVs to be done in 1st for the main-main, and 3rd for the others, but that's just me.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hunger Games taught me I could enjoy present tense. It's very common in YA.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
I love present tense, personally.

I think it actually makes a certain amount of sense, in a way. After all, the story is happening then, unless a narrator is telling us something that happened in the past. We are in the same moment the characters are in.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've read some present tense books I've liked, but really hated one in 3rd person present tense that focused on the events of 9/11. The way it was done made the present tense sound like a writerly affectation rather than the MC's moment by moment reliving of the event. So, like everything else in this business, it's a matter of execution.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
What are your feelings on reading present tense narration? I'm with you there, I prefer past tense, but if the rest of the story; the characters, the voice, the concept and whatnot is done well, I can deal with it. Maybe even immerse myself so much that I forget I'm reading present tense.

Also, the narration will be switching perspective between three characters. Can I change tense within that? Technically, yeah, you can. But should you? :foilhat: What's your motivation?

What are your feelings on multiple first-person perspectives? Uh, I love it. Or, you know, just don't hate it. Unless I can't connect with the characters or they (or the story) bore me to tears. But I don't mind it as long as it's done well. Also, if there's any head-hopping or I can't tell right away whose pov I'm supposed to be in, that's a big noooooope from me.

Can I have one character narrate in first person but the other two in third? Again, yes you can. :e2headban But the question remains... Should you? As a writer, I see the temptation of using third for those characters that may not be 100% MC, or that you just don't wanna spend that much time in their heads, or whatever. But as a reader... I'd wonder. But I'd eventually come to the conclusion that you just used first to identify who the real MC truly was. Even if the others were too, to some extent.

I'd say go for it. Follow your instincts. ;) There's always revision if you change your mind.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I can't think of a single novel I've enjoyed that has been written in present tense, but my WIP is aggressively presenting itself to me that way. What are your feelings on reading present tense narration? I'm torn - I'm fighting it because it's not generally my preference as a reader, but part of me wants to embrace it and just see where it goes.

Also, the narration will be switching perspective between three characters. Can I change tense within that? What are your feelings on multiple first-person perspectives? Can I have one character narrate in first person but the other two in third?

Let me tell you a little story. I use to I couldn't write in first person, then I wrote something in 1st person past and it was until recently one of my best and most enjoyable projects. But just last month I wrote something in first person present, and it is by far one of my best stories to date. When my alpha reader, someone I know from fanfiction read it, she had to read it twice before being able to make any notes. The story was so gripping and engaging for her that she forgot for a bit that she wasn't just reading it for pleasure.

Before this story I didn't honestly think I could write in first present, and now I know I can. And while I'm not inclined to write a novel from that particular combo, I can certainly see myself writing a novella using it. If I find the right story which wishes to be told in that manner, I will do it without hesitation.

What I'm trying to say is to trust your instincts. You can always change things in edits if that's your desire.

Last edited:

Makeshift Bubbles

ᕕ(ツ)ᕗ
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read a few books with 1st person present tense narration. The first few paragraphs can be a little jarring, but I eventually get used to it. I say go for it.

As for switching tense between POVs, that could get a little weird. Like others said, it would probably be best to go for multiple 1st POVs, since it's hard to get 3rd person present to not sound obnoxious.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
I will slip into present tense for some high action or emotional scenes but staying in present tense for the entire story is nearly as annoying as 2nd person POV.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've read novels where I didn't even notice the tense being present for quite some time. This happens in first person more often than third. Present tense tends to knock me out more in third person.

But if the writing is good and the story engaging, I tend to get used to the narrative style fairly quickly. The thing that is most likely to knock me out is what I consider klunky or uneven writing, and that would be a problem in any tense.

I haven't run across many adult fantasy or SF novels written in present tense, however. It seems to be more common in YA.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
From a young age, I've found something immediate and riveting about present tense. It has a way of grabbing my ADD lysdexic brain and turning it towards a story. But, about four years ago, after hearing so many negative opinions on present, I stopped writing in it. Figured past would be more marketable. But about six months ago, I converted a WIP to present. And you know what? I LOVE it.

So do what you love. Without doubt, there will be others who will love what you love.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Sometimes a story or novel just needs to be told in a certain way. I was struggling with a story in third person, and I switched it to first and it became so much easier to write (and I think it reads better too). I resisted, because I remember seeing submission guidelines for a magazine saying that it was rare for first person to be well done with short stories, but darn it, it works better for this one (since then, I've run across many short stories written in first, so I think it was just that one editor's opinion anyway).

I think it's like that for present too. Some stories and voices just work better that way.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I will slip into present tense for some high action or emotional scenes but staying in present tense for the entire story is nearly as annoying as 2nd person POV.

It's a bit condescending don't you think, to call an entire tense or POV annoying? I've certainly read first present novels that I found engaging from start to finish, just as I've read some that I didn't find engaging. And I've also seen second person done well, like in parts of Night Circus. I will admit a full novel in second likely wouldn't work for me or most other readers, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there where it does work and work well. All that means is it is more suited to chapters in a larger book or to short stories.

Personally I'm not fond of first present for Romance novels, but that is because I haven't had the pleasure of reading one that clicked for me. For a Horror novel though, especially somthing more psychological, it can and often does work awesomely.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Basically, readers will just have to deal with anything you have to offer. You call the shots. If they don't like it, tough. It is your story; not theirs. If they want something different then let them write a danged story of their own.

My two cents :Soapbox:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I only notice the tense if the writer has written it badly and that is past or present.

As someone who has grown up playing computer games I am incredibly comfortable reading and writing present tense. With a narrative style as long as it isn't confusing and it works for your story you can do whatever you like

I'm rather partial to the Hardy Boy Undercover series which is first person, alternating between Frank and Joe.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It's a bit condescending don't you think, to call an entire tense or POV annoying?

Surely someone has the right to dislike a particular style or presentation? That's not being condescending; it's just stating a personal preference.

Speaking for myself, I avoid novels written in present tense. I have read a few, but present tense just doesn't work for me. I'm constantly trying to "translate" it to past tense in the back of my brain. It's exhausting, so I just don't try any more.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told frequently that present tense is obnoxious and doesn't sell.

It's not a perception I've ever encountered. I've discussed this, relatively recently, with a group of UK editors and agents and none of them were aware of this prejudice. It's not something I worry about. As Usher wrote upstream,

I only notice the tense if the writer has written it badly and that is past or present.

Write your books in the ways they need to be written. Write them as well as you can. Don't worry about things that aren't really problems.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I used to hate present-tense. Then I read The Hunger Games and didn't even notice what tense it was in until I was halfway through. My point being, if you do it well enough, you can get away with anything.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting with different POVs and tenses, either. Copy the first chapter and paste it into a new file, and try changing it from first-person to third-person, or vice versa. Or change it from past-tense to present-tense, just to see if you like it. If you don't, no harm done--you still have your original manuscript intact. But you might find that you like the changes.

Partway through writing my first novel, I became really frustrated with how it was reading. It occurred to me to try first-person instead of third, and wow! What a difference it made! Suddenly, the story came alive. I also changed it so it was solely from the female character's POV, instead of switching back and forth between her and her love interest's POV. That made a big difference, too. Switching between the two POVs diluted the story, made it weaker and less interesting. But keeping it in the MC's POV made everything more immediate and thrilling. I've gotten some mighty fine comments on the novel from beta-readers, so I'm completely satisfied with my decision to change the POV and tense.

As others have said, find what works best for your story. And keep in mind that every story is different. Your next novel might not work in the same POV or tense as this one. That's part of what makes novel-writing so interesting!

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I generally find present tense irritating, but if a book is really good, like Wolf Hall, I ignore it after a while and mentally read it in the past tense.
Because it is, after all, in the past. The book has been written.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a perception I've ever encountered. I've discussed this, relatively recently, with a group of UK editors and agents.

Perceptions may have changed in the past three years but more than one UK agent (good ones) suggested my book would stand a better chance in past tense. Mind you more had a different issue with it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it's a genre thing, Usher? I can't think of a genre which unites the agents and editors I was talking to so it might not be, but I can see how that could be the case. And perhaps the agent who suggested you change tense had reasons for making that suggestion which didn't boil down to "present tense doesn't sell well". It could have been a writing or style issue, rather than a marketing one.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it's a genre thing, Usher? I can't think of a genre which unites the agents and editors I was talking to so it might not be, but I can see how that could be the case. And perhaps the agent who suggested you change tense had reasons for making that suggestion which didn't boil down to "present tense doesn't sell well". It could have been a writing or style issue, rather than a marketing one.

I actually contacted the agents (plural) and asked because I wanted to know more. And it did boil down to they didn't like present tense. They didn't think I'd written it or handled it badly. But this was around the time Hunger Games was really taking off. There has been a shift since.

I've been fortunate enough to have a variety of agent feedback on my book (about half of those submitted to gave me some element of personal feedback) and know the main issue is related to it not having a sub genre. It's an epic fantasy but with an element that doesn't fit the genre neatly. Apparently my characters, story and writing style work apart from that. The agents above felt that, at the time, the present tense and the other element were too much controversy. They would have taken one or the other.

It took a lot of soul searching and playing around to decide to ignore them so now I'm getting it ready to self-publish instead.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand present tense in a short story, and I've made it trough a couple of novels written in present tense, but I still find it truly obnoxious. It comes across as a poor gimmick, to me. I've never read a present tense novel that I didn't think would have been far better in past tense. The same is mostly true for short stories.

As for a story "presenting itself to me" as anything, well, no. Stories don't tell me how to write them, I decide how i want the story written, and that's how it gets written. Anything else strikes me as mysticism. Stories have no life other than what we give them, they have no views, they have no desires, no wishes, no wants. They don't exist until after we write them.

I detest present tense, so I'm not going to write a story in present tense. I make these decisions, not the story.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Present tense as usually done in prose is actually a very abnormal form of English. People almost never use it when they speak. The plain present form of verbs is mostly used for habitual actions ("I play chess") and a few particular verbs ("see", "know", "like"). If people are really narrating the present, they use present progressive. "I'm making a sandwich."

It's just more common when we tell stories in conversation to tell a story that happened in the past. There's rarely a reason to narrate the present. However, it's popular to write fiction as if it's in a present POV. Even though the grammatical POV might be third-person past, the narration is done as the character would do it and with the thoughts, attitudes, and emotions that they had at the time, not how they would view the events some time after their happy ending. So in that sense, third person past POV is an affectation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.