• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Some Words Are Uglier Than Others (or the OCD thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I loathe the word incentivize. But I write secondary world fantasy, so I can't think of any reason why I'd ever need to use it in a story.

I like that! I'm going to work horngry into my vocabulary!

Yeah, I don't hate on words. That said, I may replace certain words in a sentence or paragraph if it doesn't flow the way I like. But that's more of a dislike for the sound of the word than a hatred for the word itself.

Overall, I'd say this is how I feel too. I don't like repeating words too quickly, and some words just don't conjure the feel or connotation I want. But the dislike tends to be situational.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Moist, my most highly hated word. [...] Most words with oi make me shudder, in fact.

I quite like that sound actually, very common in ancient Greek - oinos (wine) being one of my favourites :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Moist makes me think of cake. I like cake.

And it amuses me to use the word "moist" instead of damp when the word "damp" is expected. So, my dog is still "moist" from her bath.

Mwuahahaha! :D

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I'm adding "needful" to my Dictionary of Words to Use During Sex Scenes. Pity I'm writing that zombie nonsense, because my skinhead narrator would never ever use that word.
I quite like that sound actually, very common in ancient Greek - oinos (wine) being one of my favourites :D
Oinos is pretty. I usually hate that sound, though.

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
141756_original.jpg

:ROFL:

I can't recall any specific words I hate, or at least I couldn't until someone posted this:

God, I detest that word, in all its guises and contexts... :ban

:D

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
One word that bothers me is 'snorted'. Seriously, wth, why are characters constantly snorting in books when people in real life almost never do???

I sometimes wish there was a word to replace it. A word that means you've just made a 'pssh' like-whatever sound. Scoff might work, but it sounds crazy bratty, imo.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
One word that bothers me is 'snorted'. Seriously, wth, why are characters constantly snorting in books when people in real life almost never do???

Speak for yourself - I snort regularly while reading posts on this forum! :ROFL:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I sometimes wish there was a word to replace it. A word that means you've just made a 'pssh' like-whatever sound. Scoff might work, but it sounds crazy bratty, imo.

I had couple of characters who would go "heh" or "huh" occasionally, but some critting partners really hated that for reasons I'm not clear about. People I know do say "heh," or "huh" sometimes.

So I replaced it with snorted, and they seemed to like that better. Usually when my characters snort, though, it's because they're trying to hold in laughter.

I think one problem is regional/personal differences in what is meant by some expressions.

When a horse snorts, it's blowing air forcefully through its nose. People don't tend to do that, unless they're laughing really hard (or trying to hold laughter in). But some people mean that chuffing or huffing sound people sometimes make when they disapprove of something.

One critting buddy (who is from the Caribbean) refers to something called tooth sucking in his writing. To me, tooth sucking is what you do when you stick your tongue in front or just behind your teeth and sort of lick them off inside your mouth when you're mulling something over, but his characters (usually elderly women) do it when they want to show disapproval.

"Kids these days. No respect!" She sucked her teeth at him.

Turns out he means a sort of "tssst" or tongue clicking sound. Sort of similar to when someone out here would go "chuh!" or "Huh!" or even "Tsk!" but a little different too. It's kind of culture specific.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oooh, just thought of a word that makes me shudder a bit.

Squat. I hadn't thought of it until now, but I don't think I use it very often. I tend to prefer "hunker" or "crouch." Maybe it's because when someone has a character squat down in a story (like, she squatted in front of the fire and warmed her hands) makes me think the character is going potty.

Attractive, eh?

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Speak for yourself - I snort regularly while reading posts on this forum! :ROFL:

You sure you don't 'guffaw', instead? That's what I do.

Guffaw, guffaw, guffaw.

Another weird-ass word.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed

Sure people don't snort the way horses do, not without needing a hanky. ;) But in the more human sense, a forceful exhalation that you definitely can't hear from far away and can have a thousand variations? They do that all the time!
I actually like snort, it reminds me of horses. :D

I can't at the moment think of a word I hate, but that's because I have repressed them, and then they suddenly pop up while I'm writing and I have to take a moment to glare at the monitor. Luckily, that's what the thesaurus was invented for.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com

I equate snort to snore, so needless to say it's not a word I use often. Or the folks who snort while laughing. Sneer, scoff, or chuckle works better.

This word reminds of giggle. Giggling reminds me of a child getting tickled, so when adults giggle in a book, I imagine them getting tickled. It's not very amusing.

Squat. I hadn't thought of it until now, but I don't think I use it very often. I tend to prefer "hunker" or "crouch." Maybe it's because when someone has a character squat down in a story (like, she squatted in front of the fire and warmed her hands) makes me think the character is going potty.

Attractive, eh?

Like when the physical trainer orders thirty squats. Now that brings up some amusing imagery.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

Attractive, eh?

Is that the American meaning of "going potty" i.e. using the toilet, or the British meaning, i.e. going crazy?

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score

Attractive, eh?

I do so many squats at CrossFit that the word doesn't even register to me in the other way.

That said, I squat on top of the toilet when taking a dumper in public restrooms. Great for the glutes. I call it perching though.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
You sure you don't 'guffaw', instead? That's what I do.

Guffaw, guffaw, guffaw.

Another weird-ass word.

I can't say or even write 'guffaw' without thinking of the word 'guff', which means fart where I come from. So... I prefer snort ;)

Sure people don't snort the way horses do, not without needing a hanky. ;) But in the more human sense, a forceful exhalation that you definitely can't hear from far away and can have a thousand variations? They do that all the time!

Snort is an inhalation in my interpretation of the word - like when you laugh really hard and then make that inadvertent sound at the back of your nose/throat that is insta-embarrassment if you're in public ;)

I equate snort to snore, so needless to say it's not a word I use often. Or the folks who snort while laughing. Sneer, scoff, or chuckle works better.

Yeah, or the snorey snort sound. Still made by inhaling, not exhaling though :)

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Some words are sicker than others, some words are grosser than others, some words' mothers are weirder than other words' mothers....

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this here.
Helen Amelia Thomas (August 4, 1920 – July 20, 2013) was an American author and news service reporter, member of the White House press corps and opinion columnist. She worked for the United Press and post-1958 successor United Press International (UPI) for 57 years, first as a correspondent, and later as White House bureau manager. She was a columnist for Hearst Newspapers from 2000 to 2010, writing on national affairs and the White House. She covered the administrations of eleven U.S. presidents—from the final years of the Eisenhower administration to the second year of the Obama administration.
Thomas was the first female officer of the National Press Club, the first female member and president of the White House Correspondents' Association and the first female member of the Gridiron Club. She wrote six books; her last, with co-author Craig Crawford, was Listen Up, Mr. President: Everything You Always Wanted Your President to Know and Do (2009).
and ask the less-female, probably younger and presumably much better-looking posters on-thread what they've achieved.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this here. and ask the less-female, probably younger and presumably much better-looking posters on-thread what they've achieved.

But, did she hate any words?

See, I saved this thread up, didn't read any of the posts for days and days, and tonight I was going to come in here and collect all the bad words that people think are ugly, and do something about it. Take them to an ugly words home or something.

And what do I find? Well, very little. People like all the words, and even the words some people hate, other people like, and that makes up for it.

Also. No one has mentioned the word "cudgel" in this thread yet, for which I am grateful. Or "bludgeon". No one's said that either.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But, did she hate any words?

I'm not sure that a photograph of her should be put up as an example for people to snigger at because female and old and therefore amusingly not-sexually-attractive.

In fact I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is that the American meaning of "going potty" i.e. using the toilet, or the British meaning, i.e. going crazy?

Taking a whizz or dump (though I never got the "taking" part in the colloquialism, since people actually tend to leave whizzes or dumps).

Also. No one has mentioned the word "cudgel" in this thread yet, for which I am grateful. Or "bludgeon". No one's said that either.

OMG, I love the word "cudgel." It makes me giggle (like one of those children being tickled) and snort (like a horse).

Last edited:

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
mccardey said:
Yadda yadda...

Wow, two posts and a private message. Someone's offended.

Let me put your mind at ease. All that stuff you got all offended over? The only reason I picked that particular meme is because it was the first one to pop up with the word moist. Blame Google Images.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, two posts and a private message. Someone's offended.

Someone is.

Let me put your mind at ease. All that stuff you got all offended over? The only reason I picked that particular meme is because it was the first one to pop up with the word moist. Blame Google Images.

Is that really the defense you want to go with? On a writers board? That google made you do it?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

*brandishes cudgel*

Don't make me come up there, Kylabelle. You know how I feel about my cudgel.

Please, people. You've got how many posts here and no one's mentioned:

phlegm

fetid

puss

crepuscular

regurgitate

masticate

echinacea

psoriasis

itchy

mucus

fracking

ETA:

Oh dear. While I was crafting my list, a fight has broken out. Damn good thing I brought my cudgel.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a photograph of her should be put up as an example for people to snigger at because female and old and therefore amusingly not-sexually-attractive.

In fact I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be.

Well, I have to apologize. I read your first post quoting the biographical information about her, and didn't understand why it was there, and proceeded to babble along in play about ugly words. It took me three times scrolling back through the thread to realize what you were referring to.

I have apparently developed eyeball calluses, which is not a point in my favor. I didn't recognize her -- such images are truly all over the place -- and you did, and you knew enough about her to be able to post that information. But to be honest, even were she not an amazingly accomplished writer with many contributions to her credit, it still is a pretty ugly thing we do, making fun of each other in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.