Man fatally hit by Amtrak train while taking selfie

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think perhaps he should scale back on the spinach.

ETA:

This thread has made it onto a fifth page. I'm so proud.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
As for "selfies" . . . dear God, why are so many people so infatuated with their own image? Does nobody know the myth of Narcissus anymore?

caw
Keep in mind, people used to be willing to pay a ton of money to skilled artists and sit for hours to have a good picture of themselves. Selfies are just that, except now available to everyone easily.

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
That's more like asking someone to take a picture of you. Not quite the same, but close.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Keep in mind, people used to be willing to pay a ton of money to skilled artists and sit for hours to have a good picture of themselves. Selfies are just that, except now available to everyone easily.

Yes, and it is perfectly understandable why someone might want a photo or a painting to mark some important stage of his life or his family. People used to have one or two such pictures, then a handful...fast forward to today, when seemingly no moment in your life is too damn trivial to memorialize, or too damn important to interrupt with a selfie.

Last edited:

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and it is perfectly understandable why someone might want a photo or a painting to mark some important stage of his life or his family. People used to have one or two such pictures, then a handful...fast forward to today, when seemingly no moment in your life is too damn trivial to memorialize, or too damn important to interrupt with a selfie.

My wife and I are very anti-selfie. We only do it once in a while, and typically only at home or the beach, as we've been there dozens of times. If we want to commemorate something, we have someone take a picture. We only do it now because the baby loves seeing herself in the camera, and the faces she makes crack us up.

We almost didn't have a photographer at our wedding, but the photog talked us into it (she's a friend). We're glad she did now, because the photos were amazing. The two of us have never been big on taking pictures. Kind of distracts you from the moment.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't think it's nearly as many people as it is today. Twenty years ago, people did not walk down the street staring at the little rectangle in their hands. Now, it's nearly everyone. And the ubiquitous selfie is a relatively new thing. (I'm sure a few people snapped -- or tried to snap -- pictures of themselves, but it wasn't so easy before the advent of the digital camera on every phone in every pocket.)

Off-topic, a bit: I saw the movie Clueless in a theatre when it was released, and the audience laughed at the way Cher was always chatting to her friends on her cell phone. Cell phones weren't common back then; it was a marker of her rich-girl status that she not only had one, but was constantly using it in a very casual way.

I was thinking about that recently, that younger people watching that movie now will miss the fact that that was meant to be amusing, because it's no longer something that's funny to watch. Now everybody does it.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Off-topic, a bit: I saw the movie Clueless in a theatre when it was released, and the audience laughed at the way Cher was always chatting to her friends on her cell phone. Cell phones weren't common back then; it was a marker of her rich-girl status that she not only had one, but was constantly using it in a very casual way.

I was thinking about that recently, that younger people watching that movie now will miss the fact that that was meant to be amusing, because it's no longer something that's funny to watch. Now everybody does it.

You're right. I haven't seen the movie in ages, but I remember how that was used to make Cher and her friend look amusingly spoiled. Now, the more likely reaction younger folks would have is "ha -- look at that old-fashioned phone!"

To go further off-topic -- but isn't it appropriate to derail a thread about a train accident? -- I told one of my little nieces that when I was a little girl, we only had one phone for the entire house, and it had a curly cord attaching the handset to the base so you couldn't move more than six feet while you were talking. She stared at me and said, "Why?"

I don't think she's old enough to hear about party lines yet.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
To go further off-topic -- but isn't it appropriate to derail a thread about a train accident? -- I told one of my little nieces that when I was a little girl, we only had one phone for the entire house, and it had a curly cord attaching the handset to the base so you couldn't move more than six feet while you were talking. She stared at me and said, "Why?"

I'd ask why, too. If you wanted to move more than six feet, there were plenty of phones with longer cords.

The phone cord at my grandmother's stretches across two rooms. :tongue :D

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'd ask why, too. If you wanted to move more than six feet, there were plenty of phones with longer cords.

The phone cord at my grandmother's stretches across two rooms. :tongue :D

Ah, these new-fangled inventions. Next you will tell me it had buttons to push instead of a dial.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I would do that, Robo, but the damn neighbors won't get off the line.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
After showering this morning I saw my reflection in the big bedroom mirror, and was tempted to take a full-frontal naked selfie. I figured I'd send it to everyone I know, as a gentle reminder to appreciate the little things in life.

But then I thought to myself, "Naaaah".

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
As to the OP:

"Think of it as evolution in action." - Oath of Fealty, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
8bdeaa5ec03b57731652822b2c0ab1cd.jpg

1909. :D

Connie Mack?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score

I collect pocket rocks to memorialize important events, They are distinctive smooth stones I find at the locations. One of these days I will fall into a pool and their weight will carry me to the bottom of the pool where I will drown.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I collect pocket rocks to memorialize important events, They are distinctive smooth stones I find at the locations. One of these days I will fall into a pools and their weight will carry me to the bottom of the pool where I will drown.

Or perhaps someone will give you a push.