Family show may have just gone too far.

The most shocking thing I've seen on The Walking Dead is...

• Zombies biting people and showing blood.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The near rape of Carl Grimes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Cannibalism. (They had Bob barque)

• Opening the show with Rick Grimes shooting a young girl zombie

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • The zombification and shooting of Sophie

• Lizzie killing Mika

• Carol Killing Lizzie

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • The beheading of Hershel

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • The water well zombie

• Gay kiss.

• Total voters

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
On Sunday, 2-22-15, the AMC TV show The Walking Dead, a show know for flesh eating zombies and has had moments of cannibalism and an attempted rape of a teen boy upset a few fans for showing 2 male characters kiss.

Oh the horror.

This has some good images just to put things in context. Keep in mind, some gory stuff.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
ZOMG! You had two gay characters share a three-second kiss. The sky is falling! Civilization is collapsing! Run!

I imagine, though, if one of the gay dudes gets eaten by a zombie, then the religious kooks will say that he got his just desserts, or maybe they'll think that the zombie will become gay.

Gay zombies? BOOK TIME!

(Totally not serious about any of this with the exception of the morons who got offended by two gay characters that everyone KNEW were gay doing what their comic book counterparts did. Shit...people iz dumb...)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Two things. One, a spoiler warning would have been nice. Some of us are only on season 1, and two, GAY ZOMBIE is a very funny and clever indie horror short. You should see it if you get the chance.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
That's what I was wondering.

Good to know I'm not the only one. If people want to let their children watch something like Walking Dead, then they need to realize their kid will see something they don't approve of. I mean the show is clearly marketed to and for adults with the level of graphic violence as well as plenty of sexual situations, not everything on TV is automatically family friendly.

I watched plenty of stuff I wasn't supposed to as a kid, I was eight and watching Buffy, Passions, Xena etc. My mom knew I watched them and knew what those shows entailed, but it was her choice and she took responsibility for that choice.

To top it off, the pair that kissed are a comic canon gay couple. No true scotsman or not, in this case it is something any fan who was also a fan of the comics would know.

Last edited:

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
The article doesn't say "family" anything, but what it does say is homophobic. No big surprise there.

*sigh*

Poor America.

When are we gonna get over it already?

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Whose family? The freaking Addams Family?

My fault. I didn't read the tweets. Facebook comments are more fun anyway.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Governor's daughter Penny isn't a choice on the poll.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, I just accidentally went away from the screen after I typed a response.

I don't feel like retyping it, but the gist of it was:

1) We don't let our 10 year old watch it, nor does she want to. It's no family show.
2) A gay couple does not make a show un-family. I can't believe people are bitching about it. Man, that pisses me off. Our family does watch Modern Family together, and our daughter isn't phased by Cam and Mitchell's relationship one bit. They're just another couple in love, as they and every other gay couple should be. What a bunch of stupid heads.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Not a family show. Nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Haven't actually watched the last two episodes yet, so I'm not going to click through and chance more spoilers than I've already seen.

For me, the most shocking moment was last season when Rick tore out that guy's throat with his teeth. Though the whole Lizzie, Myka, Carol thing was a close second.

And Michonne putting out The Governor's eye. And Penny. And the little girl in the first episode.

Come to think of it, I'd welcome more gay kissing. Or any kissing, really. Kind of a grim show.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
On Sunday, 2-22-15, the AMC TV show The Walking Dead, a show know for flesh eating zombies and has had moments of cannibalism and an attempted rape of a teen boy upset a few fans for showing 2 male characters kiss.

Yeah, but see, cannibalism and rape are a normal part of everyday life. And zombies? Why, I passed three zombies just this morning on the way to work.

Kissing is just...ick. That's taking things toooo far.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I think it's a stupid, obnoxious, and homophobic reaction.

But I have to ask, exactly how many people had this reaction? The stories in the OP track back to maybe twelve or so obnoxious tweets. And this is characterized as a "firestorm" (HuffPo), as complaints coming "fast and furiously" (BuzzFeed), as "setting the internet on fire" (Uproxx)?

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Can we add "the actual rape of female characters"? The most horrific moment for me was the scene where Beth is nearly raped. Or the scene where that young girl from Terminus is dragged out of the train-car to be gang-raped by bandits. EDIT: or heck, that time a female side character was raped, abused, and imprisoned until she committed suicide.

Carl's almost-rape was pretty shocking, too, since he's a kid and all. (And because that scene ended with Rick biting a guy's throat out. I mean, holy shit.) But it strikes me as funny that everyone refers to that scene as "the time Carl was almost gang-raped" instead of "the time Carl and Michonne were almost gang-raped."

Haha. My god, I can't imagine people watching this show with their kids. Oh wait. I grew up in Alabama. Yes, I can.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
It is. You can watch an entire family be devoured by a zombie family.

Yum. :scared:

Gay zombies, huh? Sounds like a bad Saturday Night Live skit.

The Ambiguously Gay Zombie Duo....?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Post-apocalyptic gays aren't as glamorous as pre-apocalyptic gays. Maybe it was just the way in which they were portrayed.

- The two lesbians a couple seasons back were not an issue for homophobic America?

I kissed my partner when we met downtown last week...just a harmless slight-peck like we are wont to do when our days are madly off in all directions and we meet for dinner and a movie and are glad to finally be in each others company again. A homeless guy dragged himself up off the ground to come over and say, "DISGUSTING FAGGOTS" to our faces. Granted, we're not exactly living in a post-apocalyptic zombie world.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
There's another gay main character in the comics. He's introduced sometime after Rick gets to Alexandria.

I'm interested to see if they use him or not in the show. He's a main character and a real badass, but they've skipped/added characters before.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
How the heck is Walking Dead a family show exactly?

This is what I was wondering.

If they are worried about prime time family shows showing two gay guys kissing then they've missed the boat and by a long shot! Even two and a half men when Alan and Waldon made out was behind the times, not that I consider that show family fare either.