• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Time vs. Word Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarhit

Writing a novel on my lunchbreaks
Registered
Reaction score
Do you prefer to use your writing time to have a certain amount of hours to write or to have written a certain amount of words?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Do you prefer to use your writing time to have a certain amount of hours to write or to have written a certain amount of words?

I have to go by time because my time is limited. I have a couple of hours in the evening I can write, and whatever I get done in that time is what I get done... I can't keep writing for another hour if I didn't meet a word-count goal.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Neither. I tend to think in terms of scenes and chapters--finish Chapter 27 today, or write the scene where the MC visits his mother. If I get through that task and am still raring to go, I'll move onto the next scene, and will complete it unless I get interrupted or stuck on something.

ash.y

Absurd and Obscure
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bearandblackdog.com
I use word count because it's part of the cumulative goal. I don't pay too much attention to time because it tends to be small increments and my schedule is shifty (two PT jobs, a toddler, etc.).

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I have no set time or amount. I just write until I get tired or when I have to attend to something else. It could be as little as 15 minutes or as much as three hours. When I finish a chapter I may quit at that point no matter how long I've been writing. I think that is a natural ending point. On someday's, I may only finish one scene, but that's alright.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
If I use time as a goal, my writing time would be spent on the internet, telling myself I had writer's block. I get more work done in less time if my goal is either word count or completion of a chapter or scene.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
A thousand words a day when in producing-new-material mode. In practice that is an easy mark for me to hit, and my average day is more like 1500-2500 new words.

Anything more challenging would make the writing feel like work.

sugarhit

Writing a novel on my lunchbreaks
Registered
Reaction score
I do a word count goal of 1000 words. I'm not always able to write at home w/ a baby so I make sure to get as much as I can done on my lunch break and then once I get home, any time I have left, I try to get in my 1k

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I have to go by word count. If I go by time, I find my mind wandering and I spend my time "researching" or re-reading old stuff instead of working.

Once I've hit my daily word count, then I'm free to let myself do other things.

iamvaliance

Crying my way through college
Registered
Reaction score
I typically aim for 1000 words a day, but it fluctuates. I usually write at night, anywhere from 8 p.m. to 2 or 3 a.m. I have a ton of free time to write, though, so I praise all of you who are working parents! Really incredible.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I tend to have goals with my writing, but they're not centered on word counts. I tend to think in scenes and chapters, so when I finish one, I feel like I've reached a goal. And sometimes one with a lot of words will fly out, and other times it might take days to get one hashed out, even if it's just a couple thousand words. I have one I've been struggling with for a while that's like pulling teeth.

Focusing on word count makes little sense for me. Until a scene is finished, any words can (and probably will) be written and deleted an re-written over and over again.

Last edited:

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I tend to have goals with my writing, but they're not centered on word counts. I tend to think in scenes and chapters, so when I finish one, I feel like I've reached a goal.

Me too. On writing days (most days, but not every day, due to life) I set out with the intent to write whatever the next scene is (or group of scenes, if they're short and tied together). Usually that's at least 1200 words, sometimes over 2000, but once that part is done I don't have to write anymore, unless I'm feeling really fired up. The amount of time it takes to write that much varies, though if I can I 'book off' a stretch of at least two hours for writing. If I finish sooner, I do, no worries. I don't count research and planning in "writing time," unless I'm trying to console myself over not having put words down that day for whatever reason.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
I work with limited time so the clock is always bearing down on me. Whatever I can manage to get down, I'm happy with. I tried to go by word count at one time, but it's too much pressure and I end up never making it, thereby feeling down about myself. I regret all those wasted hours in my youth, that's for sure!

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I make page count goals at the beginning of each day, both for first drafts and editing. I base my goals on how much time I think I'll have to write, knowing about how long it usually takes for me to write or edit a page.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
My goals are generally set by word count. I have a number of words I want to hit each day (it's higher on weekends), and use as much time as needed to achieve it. However, this means I don't always get the full goal in a single writing session.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what I'm working on. If it's a first draft, I usually go by words. When I'm revising or line editing, I find that measuring progress by words can tempt me to rush through it and do a too-superficial edit. So I go by time spent editing, with the caveat that I am not allowed to use the internet for anything-- including "research"-- during editing hours (instead I make notes about things to look up later). If I'm having a hard time sticking to that, I will spend my writing hours in a local coffee shop that doesn't have wi-fi. ;)

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I go by word count. However, I'm pantsing a novel outside of my normal genre and I'm going by scenes. My goal is two scenes a day. Sometimes those are short scenes, sometimes they are long. I'm not sweating it because I'm out of my normal realm so I don't want to stress myself. When I'm in genre, I go by word count.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Usually word count or a goal of completing a scene. Of course, I also have writing challenges with writer friends to do "750 in an hour" or what have you. That helps me meet my goal and keeps me from goofing off.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
Neither. I usually have an idea in my head that I want to write for that day and I write until the ideas are gone. Sometimes it'll be 600 words sometimes it's be 5k. Sometimes it'll take me fifteen minutes other times it'll be hours.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I work by scenes. It helps me work day to day when I know what I have to accomplish tomorrow.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I just go till I have nothing left. This has translated to as much as 3,000 words in a 6 or 7 hour span, to as little as 0 on a day like today when I have nothing at all.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I don't even think about word counts during writing sessions. I usually take it scene by scene, or just getting to a good stopping point. If it is a good writing day, I just go as long as I can until I run out of gas.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
...concentrate on the quality of the words that come out, rather than the quantity.

I guess someone will say it, so it might as well be me. For some people these two are not mutually exclusive.

I write primarily by time, but I keep track of the # of words written

davidwestergaard

Registered
Reaction score
1,000 words per session, two sessions per day.

Typically takes me ~2-3 hours to write 1k words. Some days I am rocking and I churn out 3-4k+ in a session. Other days I struggle to hit 1k, but I always try to get as close as I can before I stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.