• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

To Use Or Not To Use: Plagiarism Checker

Do you check your content for plagiarism

• No, I do not use plagiairsm checker and I am not going to

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Not yet, but I want to try

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Yes, I check my content for plagiarism

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • What is plagiarism checker?

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwestergaard

Registered
Reaction score
Hey you know what they say...

"Good artists borrow. Great artists change a word or two and pretend it was their idea all along."
-Me

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I tried a fresh blog post, and the checker reported that it proably was plagiarized, and the url whence it came was the address of my blog. That tells me that it searches the internet, and I wasn't surprised that there weren't any other candidates for sources.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
No, I've never considered doing this. Is it even that easy for a fiction writer to do? I know about programs such as Turnitin, but those are intended more for academic use. It's also much easier to plagiarize in academic papers because it can be very easy for students to find phrases or paragraphs in other papers or on Wikipedia that apply well to what they're writing about. There are also students who don't intend to plagiarize, necessarily, but who fail to cite stuff properly.

The chances of accidental plagiarism, especially with fiction, are pretty low.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Huh? Accidental plagiarism? The only time I've seen or heard of this happening happening is when students (or someone else) writing research papers forget to cite their references or do so improperly. I've used programs like turn it in for my students' papers, but to be honest, the plagiarism I'm checking for there isn't the accidental kind. It's useful for flagging papers or passages within papers that have been lifted verbatim from other works that are available online and are in their databases. It's not so great for finding papers purchased from term paper mills.

How does this come into fiction? Are you asking whether I check to see if some paragraph or scene I've written is exactly the same as a scene or paragraph from someone else's book? What are the odds of that happening?

Are you saying that this is actually a thing? That the chimpanzee sitting at my keyboard could accidentally recreate a passage from, say, Hamlet without meaning to?

Last edited:

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see what the purpose of one of these programs would be for an honest writer. It would be extraordinary rare to accidentally plagiarize another fiction writer.

From a programming perspective, though, I'm curious how such programs work.

At some point in the code it must define that a certain number of consecutive words strung together constitutes plagiarism, right? How many consecutive words is that?

There's plenty of stock phrases we all use in spoken and written language. Some words strung together are more common than others, esp. in dialog.

for instance...

"What are you doing?"
"What are you doing tomorrow?"
"What are you doing tomorrow night?"
"What are you doing tomorrow night after dinner?"

I can't imagine any of these sentences being flagged as plagiarism.

Here's another example...

"It was the best of times."

I don't think that's not plagiarism either. It's cliche, but not plagiarism.

...but this is obviously from Charles Dickens Tale of Two Cities.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

...and finally this.

"These are the best of times, these are the worst of times."

Is that plagiarism? In my mind it is. If I saw this line in a work of fiction I'd trash it immediately.

What's the determining factor in these programs? Anybody got a clue?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even sure I could commit plagiarism from memory, even if I tried. I don't think I remember any story well enough to actually plagiarize it. I could probably come close enough to be accused of being a copycat, but that's it.

Accidental plagiarism just isn't going to happen. It is, however, possible to be an accidental copycat, I think, but I doubt any plagiarism checker could determine this because the great majority of the words and phrases would be different, and only the plot would be the same.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
To everybody who has used the words "but", "the", "and", and "I" in their posts, expect to hear from my lawyers.

I'm not too worried, but you may sue anyway. Even if you win, you will have to find a way to collect, and my countersuit may win instead.

O.J. Simpson tried to Trademark "OJ", but it was turned down, because people had been using it in reference to orange juice for a long time.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
What's the determining factor in these programs? Anybody got a clue?

My husband used one of these during his university days. I don't know exactly what criteria the programmers used, but there was some leeway in reading the results. You'd feed the paper into this program and it would spit out a percentage, "This paper is 3% plagiarized, or 90% plagiarized, or whatever."

Since the program couldn't analyze how the words were being used within the paper, any matching string of words would increase the percentage (including any quoted excerpts). The program had a field day with works-cited pages: it would pick out the longer titles, strings of authors' names, all that kind of stuff. Therefore, a properly-cited paper never came back at 0%.

I don't remember the cutoff, but the teachers took this into account and told the students to make sure their plagiarism percentage remained below a certain level (3% or 5% if I recall).

The program also highlighted the offending passages, so it was easy to determine if it was an actual case of plagiarism or simply the sort of stuff mentioned above.

One of my husband's classmates got nailed when her paper came back as 97% plagiarized. There's no way a number that high would have occurred by chance. It turned out she copied most of it off some website. I guess maybe she didn't believe the teacher when he said that he'd be running things through the checker? Maybe she didn't know the checker searched the internet as well as the school database? Who knows.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
This reminds me. In art school, I was working on a manga project. The story was about 5 failed experiments escaping from a lab. They are human-animal hybrids, each having the top sense of the respective animal, but also many behaviorisms. When their meds wear off, they change completely into the animals, and medicine is running low. They keep their anomaly a secret but since they have tails and ears, that's difficult. Lots of cuteness interlaced with angst.

Then, a huge manga fan, obviously, I discovered Fruits Basket, where a family lives together and trying to avoid the public eye because they change into their respective zodiac animal when touched by the opposite sex. Lots of cuteness interlaced with angst.

Fruits Basket turned out to have been older than my idea but I had no idea it existed. With all the parallels, wouldn't this be a case of accidental plagiarism?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Fruits Basket turned out to have been older than my idea but I had no idea it existed. With all the parallels, wouldn't this be a case of accidental plagiarism?
To me, the word plagiarism means the person copied someone else's work and tried to pass it off as their own work.

If you didn't know Fruits Basket existed, how could your work have been a copy of it? I'd call it synchronicity.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Famous case:
the "my sweet lord"/"he's so fine" plagiarism suit

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/mysweet.htm

[I believe the article's author is an attorney]

But that's a song, not a novel. I imagine it might be much easier to subconsciously incorporate a chord progression or melody line into a tune you're composing without being consciously aware of it. And there's a fine line between sampling and stealing anyway with music.

Check out the Song "Crazy" (Gnarls Barkley) and the track "Last Man Standing/Ni Cimitero di Tuscon" (from the movie Preparati la bara/Viva Django), for instance.

But it would be hard to lift an entire scene from a novel verbatim (or nearly so) by accident. And with literature, it's never the idea, or even the plot, that's copyrighted, but the actual words. It's incredibly common for stories that explore similar ideas to come out at about the same time in hollywood. I think another thread mentioned how the two movies, Antz and A Bug's Life, came out at almost the same time, for instance.

And in fiction, I can think of 2-3 "Gunpowder" fantasy novels that came out at about the same time in the past couple years. And my husband was talking about the plot of the story "The Stars are My Destination" over dinner tonight, and I actually got it mixed up with the plot of Niven's "All the Bridges Rusting," because both stories dealt with how the "invention" of teleportation had changed society.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
There's the whole Dennis the Menace coincidence.

Actually, I'd consider that an argument against accidental plagiarism. The name of the strip and the first date of publishing were the same, but other than those weird coincidences, the two comics are completely different, as different as the stories in AW's writing contests that share the same prompt.

They're far less similar than, for example, "Battle Royale" and "The Hunger Games." (For the record, I believe Suzanne Collins' statement that she didn't know about "Battle Royale" until after her book was in the process of being published, again the pair have little in common beyond the general premise).

Now compare those stories' differences to the genuine case of more-or-less-plagiarism between "The Lion King" and "Jungle Emperor Leo."

For those who aren't animation-history nerds: Disney originally tried to get the rights to "Jungle Emperor Leo." When the deal fell through they changed the characters just enough to avoid being sued, swapped in a new plot, and moved forward with the project anyway. As much as they altered, the similarities between the two are still obvious. Even that, however, doesn't quite qualify as plagiarism.

For an entire story to be "accidentally" plagiarized is improbable to the point of being functionally impossible.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Oh yeah, I didn't mean it as an example of plagiarism. Just that folks can have similar ideas at the same time. And completely different executions. :)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I didn't mean it as an example of plagiarism. Just that folks can have similar ideas at the same time. And completely different executions. :)

Oh. Lol. Then we're agreed!

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
You'd feed the paper into this program and it would spit out a percentage, "This paper is 3% plagiarized, or 90% plagiarized, or whatever."

Oh, I see. The program doesn't determine plagiarism, it just reports a percentage of identical text.

Thanks.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I've never run my work through a plagiarism checker. However, I have thought about what would happen if I used a paragraph/similar phrasing/whatever to some of the work I have made floating around online under pseudonyms/anonymity and someone noticed.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, I see. The program doesn't determine plagiarism, it just reports a percentage of identical text.

Thanks.

So it sounds like it works pretty much like turnitin does, though turnitin also highlights the identical passages.

I'm still not sure what role it would play in fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.