ISIS Destroys Mosul Museum

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
they have no religious beliefs. and even if they do, it has nothing to do with islam.

they're probably closet-baptists trying to make muslims look bad.

sure, they say they want to establish a "caliphate" and they ascribe all sorts of actions to "allah," but they're just trolling us all.

don't fall for it.

You are not putting the blame where it belongs: the West, and/or Israel.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You are not putting the blame where it belongs: the West, and/or Israel.

To be fair, he accurately implicated Baptists. He simply wasn't sweeping enough in his condemnation.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I just can't shake the feeling that we're all watching this thing in hopeful naivete and a comfortable distance as it gets worse and worse and bigger and bigger until there are two possible scenarios -- we'll FINALLY do something effective after how many more people and precious history are destroyed...or we will be very very sorry.

And since this thread was already Godwined by Gilroy, I will just add that, yes, it is analogous in a way to the hesitation or willful ignorance or rationalizations of those who could have done something sooner to stop the Nazis.

I just don't believe the U.S. is safe from ISIS, whether from them radicalizing terrorists in our own country, or whether they gain enough territory in the ME to get hold of or manufacture weapons of mass destruction.

http://abcnews.go.com/News/fbi-losing-battle-stop-isis-radicalization-online/story?id=29241652

and on WMD:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/26/islamic-state-weapons-mass-destruction-isis_n_6546864.html

I honestly don't know how to find the balance between fear mongering or panic, and practical appropriate reactions to what they are doing and what they might soon be capable of doing in the near future if they aren't stopped. I just think the world should not let these monsters continue.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
An important base part of Daesh members are Saddam's old Ba'athists. Some good secularists there, eh?

But it's not like Saddam was the only problem, so it's no surprise. Of course secularists become barbaric apocalypse-lovers if it's about a land and power grab/sectarian fight in their mother nation.

Daesh is just brilliant for attracting all the other people from everywhere else, imho, with flashy moves like this. Iraq itself doesn't surprise me a bit. It was going to be in bloody war from at least the 80's on no matter what.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Graeme Wood has a really interesting article in the current Atlantic.
We’ll need to get acquainted with the Islamic State’s intellectual genealogy if we are to react in a way that will not strengthen it, but instead help it self-immolate in its own excessive zeal.

Lots of backgrounding, lots of clear thinking. Well worth a read.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
more discussion of the atlantic article here:

absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303134

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if we'd had it already - thanks. (I tend to avoid the beheading threads.)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You're missing some fine jokes.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's best to head them off at the pass.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Certainly, it is not heading in a good direction.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You're right, robo. If we don't cut the jokes, this thread could become divisive.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Rank fucking amateurs. When the Mongols sacked Baghdad, it's said the Tigris ran red with blood and black with ink. You don't faff around with sledgehammers and smartphones if you want to obliterate a culture. These soft, butter-fed jihadis would be skinned alive for lack of enthusiasm if they somehow traveled back in time and met the people whose shit they're wrecking.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Rank fucking amateurs. When the Mongols sacked Baghdad, it's said the Tigris ran red with blood and black with ink. You don't faff around with sledgehammers and smartphones if you want to obliterate a culture. These soft, butter-fed jihadis would be skinned alive for lack of enthusiasm if they somehow traveled back in time and met the people whose shit they're wrecking.

Ah, where is the Tardis when we need it.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
misunderstood youths forced by US into ambiguous ideology that has nothing to do with religion strike again:

Baghdad - Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) fighters have used a bulldozer to start destroying a 3,000-year-old Assyrian city near Mosul in Iraq, archaeologists and other sources have told Al Jazeera.

The demolition at Nimrud on Thursday comes less than a week after video was released showing ISIL fighters destroying ancient artefacts in a Mosul museum.

"They came at midday with a bulldozer and started destroying the palace," said an Iraqi official in touch with antiquities staff in Mosul.

She said the winged-bull statues known as lamassu at the gates of the palace of Ashurnasirpal II had been smashed. It was not clear what else had been destroyed on the site, about 20km southeast of Mosul.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/...05.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You know, if the winged-bull deities get pissed off enough at what's been done to their images, this could turn into a really nasty rodeo, a-stompin' and a-tramplin' everywhere.