• Total voters

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So this is happening right now.

There's a picture of a dress on the internet. Some people look and see white and gold. Others see blue and black. Some see it white and gold, then later the same picture blue and black. I don't get it.

My daughter, who is a pretty smart girl (She takes after her Mom, okay?) looked at it, saw white and gold, then freaked when she saw it as blue and black minutes later. I had it up on my computer and she said it was blue and black, but I saw it as white and gold. So it's not that the picture is changing. She insisted it was 1 when to me it was another. I have only seen white and gold.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Credit Card Numbers?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no. Dad and I both just found out recently that we are kind of colorblind, so I hope this isn't like that. Of course, I would call it purple and brownish-black, so it must be a little like that, lol!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I see it as blue and brown, but it could be white and gold in poor light. Don't see the black at all.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Blue fabric, grayish black trim in the shadows and bottom half of the dress, deep olive green trim at the top.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see white and gold, but I can push it to blue and black. Pale blue. The black is kind of like Ari said. Look down toward the lower left, past the edge of the dress where there's a kind of black and white mottled pattern. See how the black of that blurs into the gold/black of the dress?

Now cross your eyes, turn around three times counter-clockwise, and spit over your shoulder. The dress should disappear.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Any way you look at it, it's an ugly dress.

Can I get an Amen here?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Hard to say. I think I call shenanigans. Is it possible that the photo is somehow designed to change what picture is shown based on a timer or something? Has anyone actually looked at the exact same picture in the same browser window on the same computer with somebody else and each saw different colors at the same time?

When I first opened that link, it looked very clearly white and gold, though the white had a bluish tint to it that could have been lighting. It continued to look like that when I clicked a direct link to the Tumblr post. Lo and behold, when I opened the picture in a new tab on its own, it now looks blue and dark gold/mustard brown (not black). The whole picture also looks a little darker to me, making me wonder if this is a case of two photos of the same dress, but with different filters on them.

Very odd. If it's not a trick, somebody in the Buzzfeed comments suggested that it might be an example of flash blindness--we see the dress differently once the brightness "wears off." But I'm not sure if I buy that. I'm going to try opening the link again in a few minutes, or in a different browser, and see what happens.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's white (body) and gold (lace).

There's a bluish cast to the white, probably due to the lighting or a flash.

No idea how people are seeing the gold as black, though. :e2shrug:

(FYI, for that online color chalenge test, I score a zero, so I differentiate colors really really well.)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I first clicked on the link, it was white and gold. Scrolled down the page and back up, it was blue with greenish brown. I agree with whoever said it was an ugly dress whatever color it was.

MM

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can make it look like Haggis is white, then blue, then white . . .

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
All of you, go back and look again. It's white and gold. Look at it with someone else.

Hmm. I keep reloading and even tried another browser, and I'm still getting the blue version....

I did save a copy of the blue version, though, so that if I see the white version again, I can compare the two directly.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Either the contrast of the image is too stark or I am seeing an indigo-violet mix and a olive-chestnut mix.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I see white and gold, but I can push it to blue and black. Pale blue. The black is kind of like Ari said. Look down toward the lower left, past the edge of the dress where there's a kind of black and white mottled pattern. See how the black of that blurs into the gold/black of the dress?

See, for me, the black in the background is so clearly a different color from the gold that I simply cannot see the gold as black.

I get the blue...the white does have a bluish cast.

And the gold is on the greener side (which makes sense since the white has...a bluish cast.) but it's gold.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue colors with anyone any more since I've apparently been in the wrong all my life about some shades of them, but I can see it as white instead! I have to look at it from way above my laptop screen.

Way up looking down = white and black
Normal = purple (what folks always call blue) and dark, ugly brown :D

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Scrolled up and down, opened in a new window, got up and walked around, looked at it some more, tried staring, tried looking away quickly and back...

Always looks the same to me. Blue and brown, but could well be white and gold that's poorly lit. Not a stitch of black on it.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
It is a relief to comment on something that does not have world-shaking significance.

Haggis, it isn't that bad............I have seen worse.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I should report what I am using to view the image: a Samsung LCD TV. The black is distinct from what I can report as being olive-chestnut and the white, no-there is no mistaking it for white for me. It is a very deep blue (80% indigo, 20% violet).

I also got 0 on the Pantone test.

Last edited: