• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

One (short) novel, or two novellas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't exactly tantamount, because I've scarcely gotten started on the second theoretical novella, but it's a question which has been pestering me for a while now.
I wrote one novella (the one in my sig), and it's finished. The two main plots come to a neat little ending, and that's all well and good. The problem is, though, that the story isn't so neatly finished.
At the end of the first, my MC has gone through a lot of bad stuff, and those things are brought to an end. That could work as a standalone story with a bittersweet ending, but I want to develop what happens to her after that fact (hence my wanting to write a sequel).

Ordinarily, I wouldn't put too much thought to the idea of sticking the two together as a single item, because I know the requisite advice of one major plot to a book. Their length, though, and the fact that the second is a direct continuation (albeit in a different setting, and a new supporting cast) are making me second guess that.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It might be best to write the second before trying to answer that question. Sometimes the story surprises us. Maybe, when you're done, you'll see which way they need to be presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.