• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Who's Who Schemes (Cambridge, Manchester, Empire, Metropolitan)

Nimmy

Cambridge Who's Who

It seems that Matt Proman, Randy Narod's partner at Cambridge Who's Who also had the same problem with the NASD:

Matthew Brian Proman (Registered Representative, Oceanside, New York) submitted an Offer of Settlement pursuant to which he was censured, fined $50,000, and barred from association with any NASD member in any capacity. Without admitting or denying the allegations, Proman consented to the described sanctions and to the entry of findings that he arranged to have an impostor take the Series 7 exam on his behalf. The findings also stated that Proman failed to respond to NASD requests to appear for an on-the-record interview or to respond to NASD requests for information.

MelissaDodgen

Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge Who's WHo

Maybe its because I'm a business owner but I did a bunch of research before I sent in any info to these people at all. Number one the lil thing I got in the mail didn't mentio anything about something being free. Merely that it was an application opprotunity and that I had been nominated by someone.

I called the BBB in newyork, I called the IRS to find out if they were a legitimately listed company. I checked out their website as well (where I might add it never mentions anything from the registry being given for free. It only mentions that to full members will the registry be given). Which to me says it costs.

I walked into this knowing it would cost something, I walked into it knowing I didn't feel like I deserved it. (However if you think you deserve it then you probably dont.) Do I think that there's other people out there who are scamming? Yes.

There are two things to be aware of. One : If its JUST from Cambridge Who's Who its probably a scam. If its Cambridge Who's Who AMong Executives, Professionals & Entrepreneur's its not. I've done the three weeks of research to check all of this out. I've had people tell me its well worth the money. So I didn't walk into it blindly.

To those who were hit by the scam? I am truely sorry you were, the only thing I would suggest is next time do the calls I did, check things out BEFORE you send them in. Heck these days you're given a 'your bill is late' call and it could be a scam. I am sorry you got caught but this one isn't a scam. Its only one if you expected to get something for free out of it.

Pat McNees

Registered
Reaction score
. . . and the Marquis Who's Who and the Madison Who's Who. . . .
How many of these things are out there?

I don't think the Marquis Who's Who is a scam. That's the one you will find in most libraries.

Pat

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Marquis would like the people who get listed in the book to buy their stuff, but it's not a requirement for being listed.

herburt2

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting

Maybe its because I'm a business owner but I did a bunch of research before I sent in any info to these people at all. Number one the lil thing I got in the mail didn't mentio anything about something being free. Merely that it was an application opprotunity and that I had been nominated by someone.

I called the BBB in newyork, I called the IRS to find out if they were a legitimately listed company. I checked out their website as well (where I might add it never mentions anything from the registry being given for free. It only mentions that to full members will the registry be given). Which to me says it costs.

I find this interesting b/c i looked up this group on the BBB website and found this:

"Based on BBB files, this business has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau, because there is a pattern of complaints, and the business has not corrected the underlying reason for the complaints."

This thing is a total scam!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
There was an article in the latest Private Eye about the Cambridge Who's Who scam. Nothing new in the article, but interesting to see Who's Who featured there.

cathia

Registered
Reaction score
I was contacted by this company. Apparently the price is different for everyone. I only paid $108. I knew when I received the letter it was somewhat of a harmless farce (they don't know anything about me or my work); however, I could stand to be published for $108. That was over three months ago. I never received the "Welcome Package" to complete the process. I tried calling them and emailing them; however, they are the masters of "run-a-round". I finally talked to a very rude man who, arrogantly, proceeded to tell me everything had been delivered to me several months ago. I asked him where it was delivered. They, not only, sent it to the wrong address; but, the wrong state as well! I promptly told him to refund my money. This is not an organization I want to be associated with. He, then, promised a refund in 24-48 hours...it has been three weeks. I have called and called. I get silly operator girls, rude office people, and AGAIN, the run-a-round! They say they will call back; they don't. I was even told it was the CFO's job to put through a refund. Truly, I think I have spent the $108 in phone calls because they don't have an 800 number. THIS COMPANY IS JUST OUT TO RIP PEOPLE OFF!! My next step is to go the the Chicago Sun-Times and send a letter to the people to help with scamming companies like this. My advice to anyone contacted by this company is STAY AWAY FROM Manchester Who's Who.

In the state where i live they are call cambridge who's who and they try to stiff me for 1000 then as I said no the price got lower and lower they even offered me a free airline ticket then she told me I olnly had to pay the 108. I eventually had to hang up on her.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
I got this strange email.... (merged with BR&BC thread)

I don't know where to put this. I received an email, the contents of which are...

Dear Professional,

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent your professional community in the 2010-11 Edition of Cambridge Who's Who.

We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved June 28th, 2010. Congratulations.

The Publishing Committee selects a potential candidate based not only upon your current standing, but focusing as well on criteria from executive and professional directories, associations, and trade journals. Given your background, the Director believes your profile makes a fitting addition to our publication.

There is no fee nor obligation to be listed. As we are working off of secondary sources, we must receive verification from you that your profile is accurate. After receiving verification, we will validate your registry listing within seven business days.

Once finalized, your listing will share prominent registry space with thousands of fellow accomplished individuals across the globe, each representing accomplishments within their own geographical area.

To verify your profile and accept the candidacy,
please go here

Our registration deadline for this year's candidates is July 30th, 2010. To ensure you are included, we must receive your verification on or before this date. On behalf of our Committee, I salute your achievement and look forward to welcoming you to our association.

Sincerely,

What the heck is this? Has anyone heard of this before?

Last edited by a moderator:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fake Who's Who books? They've been around since before the Internet.

If you accept they will then try to sell you the deluxe edition of the book.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I've gotten those. They charge no less than $50, if you're lucky.

Basically, you pay to have yourself listed on the premise that other professionals will be able to find you and network. I get one of those offers about every three months, and nobody I have ever known has signed up. Perhaps not a scam (you do end up with a book of other suckers who paid the money) but it's not what I would do with my money. You're better off going to a conference.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
But... if you don't buy the book, you're still in. I found out I'm listed in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions of the Who’s Who in Writers, Editors & Poets. United States & Canada, which were printed in 1989, 1992, and 1995, respectively

I only remember them contacting me once, back in college. And I never bought anything, just verified the information.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would kinda be fun to put Elmer Fudd in.

Personal Specialty: Wabbit Hunter

Principal Product: Dead Wabbits

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It would kinda be fun to put Elmer Fudd in.

Personal Specialty: Wabbit Hunter

Principal Product: Dead Wabbits
Good one!

And yeah, I got that letter in the mail about ten years ago. Tossed it. Unfortunately one of my nieces (a soon-to-be-attorney at the time) fell for it and my parents bought the Who's Who in colleges book. I tossed that too, when I found it in the attic.