My "How to Write Flash Fiction" Book

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone wants to follow along and/or add your own thoughts and tips to my process of writing a "how-to" book. Hopefully, it will also help keep me on track so I don't wander off again!

I've written piles of flash fiction and had it published. Now I'm working on a guide to writing flash fiction and getting it published. My stacks of notes are all over the place and I've changed direction with it a couple of times and well, I'm just a mess.

So, starting over~ For the first step, I've got a few other somewhat-related writing guides gathered together here and I'm going to type out their tables of contents and print them out. Not to snitch anyone's work, obviously, but simply to get ideas on a logical flow for organizing all of my notes.

Since I think it's a pretty niche thing at this point, I'm just going to go ahead and self-publish it. So, I don't have to write a formal proposal.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that was boring. However, I have a title at least. I think.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting to me Fruitbat, I'd read it, and use it. Will enjoy reading what you write about the process of writing about how to write too :D

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, yes the book after that can be how to write a book about how to write a book!

Chapter one is done! Again. :cry:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Books about writing often sell better than novels. I wouldn't discount the possibility of getting an agent or selling it yourself to a trade publisher.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'd love to check it out, whatever you decide to do.

A lot of my friends elsewhere have so much trouble with it, though I'm the opposite. I can't do novels real well.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sarah and Siri.

Maybe I will send it to an agent or publisher, hmm. All or nearly all of the ones I've checked out seem to be self-published but I guess I won't know if I don't try. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3,000 words. I won't think about how many still to go.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Definitely a good idea. The fact that you've actually got a history of writing and getting flash fiction published is a very good thing to know too. I've seen a lot of books about writing written by agents, and publishers and other people who do have a hand in the process, but aren't writers in and of themselves a lot of the time.

Definitely looking forward to it and planning to follow your progress.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Shaun.

I thought I had a lot of it done because I have so many notes. I didn't realize it would be so hard to organize. :(

TIG&&

Registered
Reaction score
There's your sequel: a book about organising a book about writing!

I was of a similar mind to you, in that I have something that I'm sure will sell (it's based on a series of radio pieces which proved popular, as well as a series or articles) but I'm not sure if it'll hit the numbers to get appropriate publishers in the right genre involved. It's also a tad iconoclastic and they make their revenue from the icons!

I figured on self-publishing but then I thought to hell with it, while I'm writing it I might as well push it into a few troughs and see if anyone bites. Go for it; it'll cost you a bit of time but might end up being picked up.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one to see irony in writing an entire book about how to write flash fiction.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in that book.

Out of curiosity, as I know we all have bills to pay, but I think this is one of those things that could just as easily be put out as a blog or podcast in the hopes of attracting readership that you can then schlep other wares to. I'm speaking here as a person who has read such blogs and listened to such podcasts and then obediently threw his dollars at things which were thusly schlepped.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
how are you laying the book out in general?
"how to write FF" in one part; and "how to market FF" in another?
just curious about the overall organization.
G'luck!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

how are you laying the book out in general?
"how to write FF" in one part; and "how to market FF" in another?
just curious about the overall organization.
G'luck!

I guess I am not sure yet, seeing as how I switch it all around every other day. :(

wallfull

author, psychologist, speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
I start my books (and each chapter) with a mind map. Write "flash fiction" in the center of a piece of paper, then make branches and sub-branches of different topics coming off from there. Create a branch for every topic or issue you might want to cover. You can prune later, if needed. As you create branches, you may see ways to break down dense areas and combine sparse areas. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get a workable map, but doing this is a handy way to ponder scope and connections between ideas.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks wallfull.

Well I guess there isn't much point in staying up half the night to write in peace if my family is going to start staying up just as late and bother me anyway. Maybe I'll have to switch back to the day shift. :rant:

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Funny you should mention this. After I downloaded your book several months ago, I have been intrigued by the idea of writing flash fiction, and have written a couple of short pieces with the intention of adding it to my list of published titles on Amazon.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is kind of addicting. Ooh, I see you have a new book out, too. Congrats!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the book. I've had the book. The problem is organizing the book. Group, re-group, and re-re-group. It looks easy but it's really annoying. But that's okay, writers obviously like to be miserable!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm interested mainly, because I'm wanting to know how other people do it.

Like what kind of feeling they are trying to achieve.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There now. I've hit the 10,000 word mark and printed it out to review what I've done so far. That wasn't so bad, was it?

Yes. Yes, it was.

Writing is hard. :cry:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've got 12,000 words done, I see the final shape of this. 25,000 words might well cover everything I want to say.

So far the only back matter is "For Further Reading," and I may leave it at that. I know I'd use that section myself. But I'm not sure about a glossary or index so I might skip them.

I think I've changed my mind back again about looking for a publisher. The few other books out there on writing flash fiction all appear to be either self-published or put out by micro-presses. Which seems a good clue that there's not a large audience.

Maybe I'll just finish it up, give it a couple of read-throughs with my crit partner, and put it out as both an e-book and in print.

One other thing, I want to include a few sample stories but it strikes me as a bit full of myself to make them all ones I've written. Wondering if I should contact a few writers whose published flash stories I love and offer them a few bucks to let me include their stories.

Also wondering if this all makes good sense or if I'm just being lazy...