Specific agents for memoirs?

Kay27

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have just completed a memoir about a very traumatic period in a friend's life.

I have looked online and can't seem to find any agents that deal specifically with memoirs.

If anyone knows of a site that may be able to help me, or if you have any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Keep looking. When you find an agency that looks like a good fit, check out each of their agents to see who represents your type of book. If they don't have an agent representing memoir, the agency isnt a good fit. There are many websites that list agents. I would start with the Writers Digest site.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Go into agentquery (not recalling if it's org or com), click on full search, then click on memoir, then on agent who are actively looking for clients, then on search.

Go into writersdigest.com; they've got a list of agents who deal in memoir.

Join querytracker.com and who can search for agents who rep memoir.

Also. Learn how to query. Once you have 50 posts, you can post your query for critique in the Query Letter Hell section of Share Your Work. Password is vista. You can go in there now, read the posts, especially the stickies. You can critique now, which is a good way to learn something about querying...once you've read the stickies.

Also. We do have a memoir and bio section of the forums. There's a non-passworded section and a passworded section in Share Your Work. (Password is vista.)

BTW, welcome to AW.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kay27

Registered
Reaction score
Siri Kirpal

Thank you so much for all your help. Very much appreciated.

Kay

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never come across an agent who only handles memoirs. I doubt the market would let such an agent make a living. You best bet is to find published memoirs that you like, by good publishers, and then Google to learn who represented those memoirs.

Kay27

Registered
Reaction score
I've never come across an agent who only handles memoirs. I doubt the market would let such an agent make a living. You best bet is to find published memoirs that you like, by good publishers, and then Google to learn who represented those memoirs.

Sorry, I did not mean agents that only represent memoirs. I should have been clearer. I meant agents that represent memoirs as a decent percentage of their representation.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I did not mean agents that only represent memoirs. I should have been clearer. I meant agents that represent memoirs as a decent percentage of their representation.

A top agent is better than a percentage agent. I think it's always best to find memoirs published by top publishers, and then find out who represented those memoirs. An agent who has that kind of clout is the one you want, regardless of percentages.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Andrew Lownie in the UK represents non-fiction only, I think, and has a preference for memoirs. He's a very successful agent.

Kay27

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a request for the full manuscript from an agent we queried. Fingers crossed!!!!!