Selling short stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason E

Beam me up. Scotty!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know any good reputable places to sell short stories? Preferably in the scifi and/or action/adventure genres? I'm not looking to become a millionaire overnight but, I want to start getting my name out there.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many publishers have threads here at AW in this very forum. I always ceck them out before I submit.

I hope.your hard work pays off and welcome.to.AW!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You need a market guide for a question like this. There are hundreds of reputable markets. But writing short stories to get your name out there is probably the toughest feat on earth. It's many, many times more difficult to sell a short story to a good magazine than it is to sell a novel to a good book publisher. The competition at magazines is far, far tougher. In order to sell a short story to a good magazine, you have to beat out the best writers in the world, most of whom are submitting stories to the same magazine you are.

You can't be as good as a top writer to sell, that month, with that story, you have to be better.

The only reason to write short stories is because you love reading and writing short stories, not because you want to get your name out there.

Jason E

Beam me up. Scotty!
Registered
Reaction score
You need a market guide for a question like this. There are hundreds of reputable markets. But writing short stories to get your name out there is probably the toughest feat on earth. It's many, many times more difficult to sell a short story to a good magazine than it is to sell a novel to a good book publisher. The competition at magazines is far, far tougher. In order to sell a short story to a good magazine, you have to beat out the best writers in the world, most of whom are submitting stories to the same magazine you are.

You can't be as good as a top writer to sell, that month, with that story, you have to be better.

The only reason to write short stories is because you love reading and writing short stories, not because you want to get your name out there.

Well, what would be the best way to get noticed by agents and publishers? And by best I mean the easiest least cut-throat method. Do I just get to the 50 post limit and start posting my work here and hope someone takes notice?

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what would be the best way to get noticed by agents and publishers?

Go to conventions?

And by best I mean the easiest least cut-throat method. Do I just get to the 50 post limit and start posting my work here and hope someone takes notice?
I wouldn't say submitting to (assuming this what you're doing) pro-mags is cut-throat, but it is tough to get published in them. Submitting is actually very easy, writing a piece, as James says, good enough to beat the competition is the hard part.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what would be the best way to get noticed by agents and publishers? And by best I mean the easiest least cut-throat method. Do I just get to the 50 post limit and start posting my work here and hope someone takes notice?

The best way to get noticed by agents and publishers is to write an awesome novel, polish the hell out of it, then craft a query letter that will get them to say, "I want that!"

Short story credits help show you have some professional chops, but they aren't going to sell your novel for you. Your novel is going to do that.

If you were talking about agents and publishers for short stories, agents rarely handle them. Publishers state their guidelines or put out calls for specific types of stories, then it's up to you to make your work stand out from the rest.

When you get to 50 posts, putting your work up is a great idea--not because agents or publishers are likely to come looking for it, but the critiques you'll get will help you improve.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

It's the same for everyone. Write an irresistible novel. That's it. You don't need tricks, or platforms, and you don't need to cut anyone's throat.

Write an irresistible novel, and agents and editors will be on their knees begging for it.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Competition for short story slots is intense in the high-profile magazines. Good luck :).

Bolder

Registered
Reaction score
I think duotrope is the best place. You have to pay 5 bucks a month but the info is great and you can track all of your stories. you can even see the acceptance rate for all of the mags

Status
Not open for further replies.