What are you reading?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Still trying to get through Ganymede by Cherie Priest but through no fault of the author's. Home drama, mostly. It's my bedside book that I read before sleeping.

Have also picked up The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I'm eyeballing it now and may crack it open instead of writing more.

...maybe just a peek...

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished A Fraction Of The Whole by Steve Toltz. Amazing, amazing, amazing, book.

I just found A Fraction Of The Whole at the local library. I'll give it a go.

Last edited:

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Four Past Midnight By: Stephen King.

I'm headed to B&N today, and I'm interested in some John D. MacDonald stories. Any recommendations?

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
Freedom next. The damn thing broke my heart.

I almost bought Freedom first but decided on The Corrections. It will certainly be on my to read list.

I decided to plunge into another Lee Child. I just started his Reacher novels in early 2011 and I'm more than halfway through them. I'm really trying to keep a balanced reading list that includes non-fiction and literary tiltles and award winners, but it is heavily weighted to thrillers at the moment.

Reaction score
Finished Eye Of The World, then immediately blasted through Shotgun Gravy by Chuck Wendig in one day, and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman in three.

Now reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Took a break from my long classic read (The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue, 450 pages along, about 1/3 of the way) the last three nights, to read Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer. He's a fabulously gifted nonfic writer, and this personal account of the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster is gripping and scary and unforgettable.

caw

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King - 11/26/63. Loving it so far, and probably would have finished it by now if I didn't have work.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Erle Stanley Gardner, The Case of the Daring Decoy (Perry Mason), 1957. A real period piece.

For example:

This Farrell is . . . a gambler, a guy who shoots the works, rides around in high-powered automobiles, spends three and four hundred dollars on a suit of clothes, wouldn't think of looking at a pair of shoes that didn't cost over twenty dollars. He's a showman, likes to go out to night clubs and all of that.

icon10.gif

--Ken

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
Right now I'm reading Death of an Old Git, by Andrea Frazer. It's part of the plunder I pillaged during Smashwords' Read An Ebook Week, and I'm really enjoying it. Just looked online and see that DI Falconer is a series, so I'll be buying more. They're English village cozies.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm 100 pages into The Portrait of Dorian Grey. The story itself is kind of meh, but the writing is absolutely beautiful. Mr. Wilde sure had a way with words. Also the twist it just took (spoiler alert), with Sybyl Vane killing herself is interesting. Perhaps it'll pick up from here on out.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm 100 pages into The Portrait of Dorian Grey. The story itself is kind of meh, but the writing is absolutely beautiful. Mr. Wilde sure had a way with words. Also the twist it just took (spoiler alert), with Sybyl Vane dying is interesting. Perhaps it'll pick up from here on out.

I remember picking it up a few years ago and having a hard time getting into it. Quite a few years ago though; maybe my tastes have evolved since then and I should give her another shot.

Been reading bits and pieces of Meditations by Marcus Aurelias when I find the time. This is literally like my new favourite book. Basically a self-help book, made of little notes he wrote to himself. It's surprising how relevant and applicable it is even though it was written almost two-thousand years ago. Though philosophical, its advice is very practical, its ways of how we can rationalize problems we face every day, how we look at others who trespass against us, how we face setbacks. Highly, highly recommended.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a real dilemma here. Do I read Duma Key, or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

Although virtually everyone I know loved the book, I didn't really enjoy The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It moved really slowly in the beginning and I wound up giving up after 100-someodd pages.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Albert Camus The Outsider, and wrote a review up on my Wordpress Blog. Now I'm reading The Plague, which has been great so far but slightly less accessible.

Been many years since I read both but, loved the Outsider, the copy I read was titled the Stranger, but the Plague seemed to drone on and on.

I should re-read the Stranger/Outsider, Camus was very skillful in creating images, setting tones with not many words

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
America Pacifica, and then Zone One, which is sitting on the shelf, asking me to make more time in my day for reading.

mhjess

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Bag of Bones by Stephen King. Hoping it's better than the movie.