What are you reading?

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm 100 pages into The Portrait of Dorian Grey. The story itself is kind of meh, but the writing is absolutely beautiful. Mr. Wilde sure had a way with words. Also the twist it just took (spoiler alert), with Sybyl Vane killing herself is interesting. Perhaps it'll pick up from here on out.

I loved that book, cmi0616, but have you noticed that nobody in it is capable of just sitting in a chair? They're always 'flinging' and 'throwing' themselves down. If I were to go back in time, I'd try to get in as Oscar Wilde's furniture repairman. He probably made a pretty penny.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Psycho. It's much the same as the movie only better, since the book actually gets into Norman Bates' head. The only downside is my ePub has a lot of errors, like random underscores and missing punctuation.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I recently struggled through Simon R. Green's first book in his Nightside series. I'm still trying to fill that void between Jim Butcher books. Green was a tough one to get through, but then again Butcher is not the greatest writer. Of course, he improves with every novel. Compared to the other urban fantasy authors I've tried, he's high above them.

Saying all that, I'm a big fan of Stephen King. I'm not into horror fiction that much, but King writes so, so well. I have no hope of ever writing that well, but reading him inspires me to keep striving to do better.

Recently I picked up my first Dean Koontz book. Finally, I found another author who writes as well as King. I won't say better or on the same level, but he does write very well. It encourages me to see writing like this with everything else I struggle through. So far, I have just read The Husband. Today, I began his first in the Frankenstein series. I think I am going to enjoy going through Koontz's books as much as I enjoy reading King. I know I will never write like either of these authors, but I'm inspired to at least try to write better than Green.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
The Count of Monte Cristo

which is about a handsome young fello who is falsely accused of things.

he is imprisoned for 13 years where he plots his revenge!

Last edited:

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Saying all that, I'm a big fan of Stephen King. I'm not into horror fiction that much, but King writes so, so well. I have no hope of ever writing that well, but reading him inspires me to keep striving to do better.

Recently I picked up my first Dean Koontz book. Finally, I found another author who writes as well as King. I won't say better or on the same level, but he does write very well. It encourages me to see writing like this with everything else I struggle through. So far, I have just read The Husband. Today, I began his first in the Frankenstein series. I think I am going to enjoy going through Koontz's books as much as I enjoy reading King. I know I will never write like either of these authors, but I'm inspired to at least try to write better than Green.

I'm a big King fan, too. I tried Koontz's Velocity but had to put it down after a couple chapters. That sort of scared me away from Koontz for a while until I decided to give him another chance with Intensity. I haven't enjoyed a book that much in at least a year or two. Now I'm sort of back on Koontz again. I'm trying The Taking next.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big King fan, too. I tried Koontz's Velocity but had to put it down after a couple chapters. That sort of scared me away from Koontz for a while until I decided to give him another chance with Intensity. I haven't enjoyed a book that much in at least a year or two. Now I'm sort of back on Koontz again. I'm trying The Taking next.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try those Koontz novels next. There are many to go through, so it helps when I get recommendations.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Currently reading The Wyrd Sisters, by Terry Pratchett, my bedtime book (i.e. one that I won't get so engrossed in that it'll keep me from going to sleep), and The Weird Sisters, by Eleanor Brown, my daytime book. Weird (pun intended) coincidence, but the books came from different sources - thank you, lil' sister, for the Pratchett lender - and they just happened to be the next in my two stacks at the same time.

Even weirder coincidence, is that the primary appeal of both books is the hilarious-yet-wise narrative voice, though one is mainstream literary and one's fantasy. Brown's is written in first plural person that's somehow also third omniscient, and I know that sounds awful but it's awesome. I'm only halfway through but on that limited basis I recommend it.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Picture of Dorian Grey on Friday. There were parts of it that sagged ever so slightly, but on the whole it was very entertaining and enjoyable to read.

I started The Corrections on Saturday, a book which I started reading several years ago but lost my copy of somehow. After falling in love with Franzen's How To Be Alone essays as well as Freedom, I figured I best invest in another copy.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Finished Jennifer Egan's A Visit From The Goon Squad. Interesting. Different. Struggled with it in the early stages, but I've ended up enjoying it and I'm tempted to read it again.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Multiple mainstream romances. I have a ton of books to get through in my TBR pile.

Logan!

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a hundred pages into The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler and loving it. The plot is so-so so far (and I've seen the movie, so I'm expecting some of it off the bat), but the prose is superb.

rmkrisby

Party & Write til I Die
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a third of the way through The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, started re-reading The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman. The first of which I'm enjoying thus far, and the second of which I have read twice already and is a story I love for the fact that the themes are those that I find really interesting (I would recommend checking out both if you haven't already).