Growing your reach on Facebook

James L

(Not Batman)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.longtailwriting.com
Most people ask their family/friends to like a page, then post regularly to that page. The hope is that it spreads organically.

I believe there are also Facebook communities that exist that might help bring people in. This would probably require a fair amount of interaction within the community. (I have yet to check this out)

Finally, I've paid for more likes on Facebook. When a person likes your post, that then shows to all their friends. The hope is that this method gives a "boost" to your organic social growth. (Some of my ads cost me about $0.3 per page like. I am pretty good with that!)

Hope this helps!

James

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
You can give Facebook a budget in $/day to promote the page, and for that they put the page into the feed for a targeted audience. You specify related keywords, and they find an audience for you that might like your page.

That might be more of a challenge when seeking Likes for an author page, since readers might then want to see what they're liking, and it might not be clear what they're getting themselves into. So I think it's important to manage expectations. I haven't bothered to promote my author page because it's not directly selling anything. I don't worry about how many people might like my author page at this point. I'm just starting out, so it doesn't make sense for people to like me as an author unless they read my stuff and like it. I would expect that the same holds true for any author page, but then maybe I'm just projecting my way of thinking in that regard.

I've promoted my book page, since I believe that people might just buy my book based on seeing it and linking over to Amazon to read the "Look Inside". Promoting it has exceeded my expectations tenfold.

writinglove

Registered
Reaction score
Get all of your family and friends to like, and have them share it on their profiles, and continue to keep the page active.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'll need to look into this, as I'm finding Twitter driving me nuts at the moment. Like I made mistakes talking about my own politics. But wow wee, it's like politi-storm on Twitter. I'm trying to be nuetral here, just alienate people of different politics from me.:/

The fact it's happening during Nano is all the more infuriating. I'd really really like to be nice though.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
I think if you're tempted to indulge in political debate or expression, it's best to do that with an identity that's not related to the one you're using to market any product.

As a seller of something you want people to buy, you don't want to alienate a portion of your audience.

Looking at the people who "like" my FB page for REBORN TO BITE, I see a really diverse cross-section of the world. I got a message from a woman in a rural small town on the other side of the country asking for bookmarks. I'm sure that town's lifestyle is worlds apart from my Southern California life experience. So I tread very lightly!

So the results from my experiment are as follows:

Promoted FB page for 1 month @ $10/day for about $300:
2100 "likes"

Kindle:
79 KU/KOLL
4 Free (with purchase of paperback)
74 Purchased

Royalties: $114, 11 GBP, 5 EUR, ~3 AUD

So I'm in the red by a lot, but maybe I'm getting some momentum... :)

I'm contemplating another big push if/when I get back a favorable Kirkus review (fingers crossed!) and maybe doing $100/day for a week. Assuming it's a good review...

GenGriffin

Brutally Honest; No Filter
Registered
Reaction score
I just experimented with my first paid ad on Facebook. Its part of a post I'm working on for my blog discussing the effectiveness of Facebook pages in terms of promoting the sales of books.......