Freelance Editing Available

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Writersherry, that's your own site you've linked to. You're trying to sell your services but aren't being honest and open about it.

Which is ironic, bearing in mind what you said in your post about trust.

You're welcome to link to your site in your signature, but please don't try to take advantage of AW like this. Thanks.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
I use both beta readers and paid, but very reasonably priced, content editor who has decades of experience. Provides different perspectives.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Our editors will help clean up wordy prose, assess conceptual flow, pacing, characterization, POV, descriptions and tone, as well as a complete plot analysis. We also include a detailed line-edit, checking grammar, word choice, repeated phrases, and sentence structure.

[/FONT]Ah, Maryn beat me to it.

U, just as fussy.

Last edited:

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Of course you do. It's your own service. GM highly recommended all the vehicles that have led to multiple deaths and millions of recalls.

Oh, I see we have a Ford fan in this thread...:)

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I see we have a Ford fan in this thread...:)

you made me laugh. thanks. Nissan or Toyota but the quality of both has diminished over the years. keeping my aged p.o.s. running to its best ability

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sad to say, the errors in this post would put this service on my No-Thank-You pile.

Maryn, fussy

The site is worse.

Finding the right fiction editor to critique your work is essential because you must be able to trust this person with your novel. A good fiction editor can become a confidant, supporter, and give your work a heavy dose of tough love.

Every writer that we've worked with has been offered a publishing contract or has landed an agent shortly afterwards. The self-published writers that we've had the honor to work with have become bestselling authors.

Heh. From one of the 'Editing Handbooks [sic]' available on the site, written by the site author(s) -

This manual contains valuable tips and tools on how to write an enticing book blurb (back jacket copy) that both self-published authors can use to lure readers into finding out more about their books, and it will help unpublished writers querying agents to hook their reader.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Both self-published authors?

There are only two of them?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Splurt!

Maryn, unwise to drink anything while online

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried Googling the second staff member of Freelance Editing Services. It came up with the FES webpage, of course, which states
[FONT=&quot]Carmen Ericksonis a proficient freelance editor with extensive experience in all genres from children’s through adult. As a developmental editor, copyeditor, and writing coach, Carmen has worked with a wide range of writers, including authors who have appeared on NY Times and USA Today bestsellers' lists. She also writes young adult and middle grade fiction and has spent many years honing her craft, including post-graduate courses at the Institute of Children’s Literature. Carmen is a grammar whiz and has a keen eye for what it takes to make your novel shine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]I was only able to find one book listed as being edited by this copyeditor/grammar whiz: The Descendant, by Ellie Hart.

Here's the blurb for the book on Amazon, which includes a poem by an author also published by Hart's publisher:
Death in the Fairy Kingdom

Fairies exist, in the realms of this land; from the tiniest of specks, to one that thinks she’s so grand.
Aine of Knockaine, is the Fairy Queen; with eyes like Emeralds, that are brilliant beautiful green.
Her hair is raven black, to match her soul; which comes from the dark arts, and burns with the heat of coal.
She thinks she is a beauty, that all should adore; with a laugh that pierces ears, and cuts you to your core.
Vengeance is her quest, to avenge her lover’s death; to prey on Mathony’s family, till she takes their dying breath.
So if you see her, soaring in the night; run for all your worth, because you will never survive the fight.

Author Ronnie H. Lee

The Descendant

An otherworldly war is raging and the descendants of Merlin must die. Caitlyn “Cat” Beale doesn’t know it yet, but her life is in serious danger. Because Cat’s normal everyday world is about to collide with the treacherous, magical world of Fairies. If only she’d heeded her visions… After her family is killed in a tragic accident, Cat’s psychic abilities begin to slowly emerge. But she never would’ve guessed the truth…that a vengeful fairy wants to destroy everything she holds dear. Now Cat must discover why she’s a target and a way to stop the killings. With the help of her friends and her enigmatic, best friend Joseph, Cat sets out to learn more about her dark heritage, which includes daring wizards, vengeful fairy queens, and horrible curses. Together they’ll enter a dark world of deception and peril...but not everyone will come out alive.
(Which may or may not reflect Ms Erickson's editing abilities.)

Other than that and a twitter page, my Google-fu comes up with nothing. To demonstrate their credentials, it might be helpful if FES were to list some of the NYT bestselling authors Ms Erickson has worked with.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
That's fair, and I fully admit that I fall into the amateur category. ;) I've already learned a lot just from reading threads. That being said, I do think there's a place for people like me for people who are self publishing. If this isn't the place at all, then that's fine. The internet is a big place and I'm sure I can find my way somehow.

I'm one of the voices for editors on the site. But not for those in the amateur category. I'd tell anyone to run a mile, especially when there are professional editors who don't charge a mint.
Like Laura I do a lot of betaing, and have done for years. There's no way I'd say I was an editor without a lot more behind me.

Last edited:

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
I'm jumping into this thread for the first time and feeling a little confused about AW's policy on advertising. So freelance editors are allowed to link their sites in their signatures but not allowed to openly promote their services in individual posts? I hope I don't sound like an Internet smart-ass, I'm just trying to understand the rules!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
AW is a community, not a classifieds ads section.

We recognise that our members might be interested in each other's books and services, so we allow links in signatures.

We don't allow people to advertise their services, books or anything else in any other way because if we did, AW would become overrun with spammers and spam.

Is that a help? If not, do feel free to ask for more information.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
It's the difference between "As a freelance editor (see sig link for credentials) my advice is..." and "I'm a freelance editor! Hire me to fix your problems!"