• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Cheryl T. Pillsbury

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
This thread was moved from the Koval Publishing thread and could be confusing since it doesn't appear, initially, to be about Cheryl Pillsbury aka Cheryl T. Pillsbury.

I am taking the liberty of copying UJ's post from the Makinglight forum to put this thread in context. (I hope. :D)
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009448.html#009448

We have Cheryl T. Pillsbury, Agent.

Cheryl is a fee-charger who has published her own work with:

A) XLibris Corporation, a pay-to-play vanity
B) PublishAmerica, a notorious vanity press
(twice!)
C) Outskirts Press

Who or what is Outskirts, you may ask? Yet another pay-to-play vanity press. Look ye at their main page:

The Future of Book Publishing is Here!

- Keep all your rights and more of the profits

- Set your own royalty and retail price

- Interior formatting & cover design is included

- Free marketing COACH after publication

- Print runs from 1 to 1000s

Ms. Pillsbury's favorite, however, is Roval Publishing, another POD pay-to-play vanity.

One of Cheryl Pillsbury's clients is the next character in our cast: Lanaia Lee.

Lanaia is not only an author, but a poet. And Cheryl seems to be not only Lanaia's agent, but co-author. Note that Lanaia's poetry allegedly appears in at least one of Cheryl's Angus Grady books.

There's more: A G Press, owned by Cheryl Pillsbury, appears to be involved in some manner in preparing Lanaia's forthcoming (yet oddly familiar)Of Atlantis for Roval Publishing.

Well, they've apparently agreed to publish an obviously plagiarized work, so I wouldn't consider them a very good option.

For more information, including links to the "new" version:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007/10/11/top-10-tips-for-plagairists/

Here's the original work: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780345494788&itm=4, scroll through to the first page of the story.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate post here, but it seemed worth mentioning.

She's adamant it's her work.

http://www.alongstoryshort.net/LanaiaLee.html

You can't go much lower than this, IMO.

Perhaps, this is why Roval's bookstore is under construction? Bit too late. They are still responsible.

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
it just gets better

Now she's saying that she hired Christopher Hill to ghost write her book and he's responsible for the plagiarism.

Wonder if she's talking about the same Christopher Hill who used to run the Hill and Hill Literary Agency?

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
This is getting good. I think I forgot to say welcome, CaliGirl85, and to you too, Absitinvidia. :welcome:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Now she's saying that she hired Christopher Hill to ghost write her book and he's responsible for the plagiarism.

Wonder if she's talking about the same Christopher Hill who used to run the Hill and Hill Literary Agency?
Yes, she is, and I think she's telling the truth.

Check the Writer Beware blog later today.

- Victoria

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she is, and I think she's telling the truth.

Check the Writer Beware blog later today.

- Victoria

She might be telling the truth about this, but given that she also said, "I have proof of my copt right and this work is totally mine. I guess some one wants a law suit," I'm finding it hard to muster up any sympathy for her. Either she "wrote" it or Christopher Hill did, but either way, she lied.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
This is so sad for everyone involved, and embarrassing.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
It was in her message board/chat box. I don't think it's there anymore, though.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Where did she say this?

(Googling on "Copt right" gives me a bunch of stuff about Egyptian religious groups....)

It was on the chat log on her page. It only seems to go back three or four pages, though, and it's gone now. Her early posts all stated that the work was totally hers, she had spent two years working on it, that she had witnesses who would prove that she had written the book. If you go back to the dearauthor article, you can see where people have copied these statements into the comments section.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I was just coming here to look up the Christopher Hill connection!

so was I.

I saw the name, and thought 'surely can't be one and the same.'

Is there no end to this man's talents.

ETA: if he wrote this and then flogged it to her in the full knowledge that she intended to publish, isn't he also up shit creek? I sincerely hope so.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Cheryl Pillsbury has checked in on Making Light (I confirmed that the e-mail address on her post is the same as the one on her "agency" website).

My name is Cheryl Pillsbury, published in my own right, I'm also the founder of AG Press which did the work on the book, 'Of Atlantis.' Come to find out from a deep search into this issue, we discovered a former literary agent she worked with on this book gave her advice on how to write the prologue. Come to find out, it is simular to his book. We didn't know this, we don't know him and never did until today. We do apologise for this, we are planning to do a re-write and remedey this issue.

For people who throw stones at glasses houses should be very cautious about speaking before they know the truth. Slander can cause a major lawsuit from the author and the publisher mentioned, because I will make sure they know about this and dear Jane will have nightmares in 10 fold. Yes, I'm Wicca.

I was just informed, the author has already set the motions for the lawsuit, be prepared. You were told by the lawyer not to post anything related to this issue, first amendement does not apply. I have made a copy of this site for proof, see you soon. Have a ducky day.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I was just informed, the author has already set the motions for the lawsuit, be prepared. You were told by the lawyer not to post anything related to this issue, first amendement does not apply. I have made a copy of this site for proof, see you soon. Have a ducky day.

This is hilarious!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Another comment from the "agent" -- I think this was meant for Jane from the Dear Author website, though?

James MacDonald, thank you for your words. It is true what Mr. Hill did to Mary, we found the proof and plan to to solve the problem. I have publishing contracts with four publishers, and nice in their way, but Roval is my favorite, because they work with the author one on one. If I could find Mr. Hill, he would sued to no end for what has caused Mary. Yes she's in a wheelchair because she suffered three strokes and had six miscarriages. It's not a ploy, its fact and a hard one for and her husband who suffered permanent injuries leaving him disabled. If anything this should be something to make us stronger, look at what they have succeeded at. Jane should apologize and pray she didn't mean the lawsuit, because Jane was told by attorney not to post anything related to this issue until we knew the truth, oh well. It shows some people will never grow up.

The brazenness of this scam agent is just unbelieveable.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They are now whipping out the witchcraft on the blog James posted. This is the most fun I've had since yesterday!

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's a ducky day?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
That's when people throw things at your head and you have to keep ducking.

This is getting well away from Roval Publishing. Maybe Ms. Pillsbury, Agent, needs a thread of her own?

I think that a wonderful idea. Perhaps, other PA authors will benefit from reading a thread about how much Miss Pillsbury doesn't know about the real publishing world and have second thoughts about opening an "agency" or publishing service.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
My name is Cheryl Pillsbury, published in my own right, I'm also the founder of AG Press which did the work on the book, 'Of Atlantis.' Come to find out from a deep search into this issue, we discovered a former literary agent she worked with on this book gave her advice on how to write the prologue. Come to find out, it is simular to his book. We didn't know this, we don't know him and never did until today. We do apologise for this, we are planning to do a re-write and remedey this issue.

Mary Kellis, aka "Lanaia Lee," at AG Press: http://www.agpress.50megs.com/whats_new.html