Gauging interest in an Islam sub-forum in Religions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
It is a little bit quiet there - I hope we will change that.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Yes! Can't believe I missed this thread which was started while I was living in Bali - part of Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim population and whose citizens bombed (Hindu) Bali twice, the first killing more than 200 people.

Yes, it's a great idea because we can only offer our opinions and in the process, foster understanding of one another's religion.

ETA: I have a Muslim living in my home; she's been here for nearly 12 years. My country, Singapore, is surrounded by Indonesia and Malaysia, Muslim countries. My views have been shaped by peace-loving Muslims.

Miyaka

Astrid
Registered
Reaction score
I read all types of genres from all types of people but I also read books written by Muslim authors that are not about religion. Human interest stories,fiction, so on and so forth but I personally do not read about religion specifically anymore.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Miyka, that is sort of what I wish to write - and eventually publish. Not books about religion, but I read so many real good books - like Noah Gordon's or Faye Kellerman's - with interesting jewish personalities, who actually live their religion, that I regret deeply not to find this with muslim MCs. Most of the time, a muslim MC is one who is westernized, has none or little knowledge about his/her own faith - or is a terrorist.
Most of the works of muslim authors that get translated do not have MCs that really live their religion - the more critical the author views Islam, the bigger the chance his/her book might be translated.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Most of the works of muslim authors that get translated do not have MCs that really live their religion - the more critical the author views Islam, the bigger the chance his/her book might be translated.

This may not be true of Salman Rushdie's characters. I have tried so many times to read his books but just cannot get past the first few chapters. I believe he writes realistically about them in relation to their situations and locations. I think the same can be said about Tahir Shah especially in The Caliph's House where he writes about the various people in various positions in Morocco.

I just finished reading The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan and to me, it is a very sympathetic view of the Palestinian conflict. I mean, a Jewish writer that is able to write with empathy for the Palestinians is really quite remarkable.

So no, I do not agree a book has to be critical of Islam or show Muslims as "bad guys" in order to do well enough to get translated.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm a Muslim. I don't like to write religious stuff though, and don't read those stories, because they're not realistic, and I'm not interested. But I am religious, and if you need to know something about Islam, let me know. Muslims are very divided today.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should have it. I'm Muslim too but I write fantasy. I could answer any questions for accuracy as well. :)

Dipa Suresh

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's a great idea. World religions and cultures have always fascinated me, and I would love to see what happens in this space!

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
My kids' father is a Muslim, and I lived in Muslim countries for 7 years. I've written a novel where the main character is a Muslim, although my current works are totally unrelated to Islam. I'm not sure how much I could contribute to the subforum but I totally support its existence.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Guys
MacAllister built the Islam forum two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.